Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 17,507 times

Advertisements

We're first time homeowners, fairly new to the area. Built a new house last year and a couple of months later when we got our little card in the mail with our property tax info for the year, we saw that our property had been absurdly over appraised from what we had just paid for it. After looking up a number our neighbors homes, all of which were built and closed at the same time as ours (and very similar...cookie cutter houses) we saw there was a vast difference in the assessments of many homes in our neighborhood...even just down our street!

We filed an appeal with the Board of Equalization in Wilson County and had a hearing at which time they told us that they were aware that there was need for re-assessment in our neighborhood and in fact, they saw so many mistakes that they planned to do the entire Providence subdivision again and so we shouldn't worry about it; they would be taking care of it.

However, we just heard from our HOA that they didn't do anything about it and now they've decided there isn't enough time to do anything. Apparently, there were a lot of people, besides us, who were told that there was going to be a re-assessment throughout the neighborhood and they have not done what they promised. And of course, now, we have received our notice in the mail of what our property taxes will be for the year, and they do, indeed reflect that nothing has been done.

I know someone from our HOA was trying to gather up names to try to do something to help, but so far, I haven't heard anything. I feel that we need to be proactive ourselves, but I don't know who the best person to contact is. Is there an elected official that we could complain to who might be able to help pressure them to get something done?

I just can't see any reason why this was not resolved when and how they said it would be. This is affecting a huge number of people and a very large subdivision, so if a fix was in deed promised, there should be some kind of fix or someone who can help. Has anyone else gone through the appeals process? Do we now need to go to the State Board of Equalization?

If there is a name of a person who could best help get something done, I'd much appreciate the info or any advice you could give. I'd like to follow up on this for the principle of it, if for nothing else. I feel like as these people are holding elected positions, they need to be aware that it's not acceptable for them to not do the jobs they were privileged to obtain, and they need to make the necessary changes and do the work for the the community that supported them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 01:49 AM

8 posts, read 16,630 times
I've been collecting information on fighting your property assessment this weekend (it sounds as if you did the important of filing an appeal and having a hearing ... I'm not sure why that didn't result in a change?). A short list:
How to Appeal the appraised value of the property, i.e. How to fight property taxes? Start with:
  1. Newly purchased? What did you pay for the property - this is a relevant market value comparison.
  2. The most recent property appraisal (from your purchase or mortgage) is also relevant. Compare the square feet from your independent appraisal to the details on your property tax notice.
  3. Comparable sales from the last 2 years (ask a realtor for help, they have good resources to find this info).
I'll post additional references to Tennessee information online at How To Appeal Property Tax Assessment

Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 16,630 times
IMPORTANT UPDATE - Go to the county tax assessor office and ask for a copy of your properties Real Estate Appraisal Card.

The Appraisal Card is an important document that shows the detailed calculations for square footage in your house. If you have a 2 story house there are 3 designations for square footage on the upper floor.
  • USF = Upper story finished (assumes that 100% of the area above the 1st floor is finished space). This isn't true if you have a great room, cathedral ceilings on the 1st floor, or areas of the 2nd floor without finished space.
  • USH = Upper story high (assumes that 50% of the area above the 1st floor is finished space). This adjustment may account for the issues noted in USF. BUT your real estate appraisal will show this area at the gross square footage, only on the appraisal card will you see the 50% adjustment.
  • USL = Upper story low (assumes that 30% of the area above the 1st floor is finished space). Similar rationale to USH above.
NOTE that the Real Estate Appraisal Card is NOT available online in the Real Estate Assessment Data for the state of Tennessee.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijingirl View Post
We filed an appeal with the Board of Equalization in Wilson County and had a hearing at which time they told us that they were aware that there was need for re-assessment in our neighborhood and in fact, they saw so many mistakes that they planned to do the entire Providence subdivision again and so we shouldn't worry about it; they would be taking care of it.
They pulled this one on us when we lived up North. They said there were errors with a number of houses in the area and that they were in the midst of correcting it. They corrected it alright. They didn't lower the assessments on the houses that were high. They raised assessments on everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville