Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 PM

46 posts, read 146,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
Places I recommend you avoid are Lavergne, Antioch, East Nashville and areas near downtown or universities such as Vandy or Belmont.

why also Vandy and Belmont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,632,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter85 View Post
Sorry if I was rude or misjudge you Steve. My husband hasn't lived there in a few years.
Simple misunderstanding. Do not worry about it at all!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 AM

215 posts, read 682,354 times
Anyone interested in the northern part of zip code 37207 here in Nashville such as around Whites Creek Pike or better yet the Bellshire neighborhood near Hunters Lane High School.

I have found out there are some nice looking new homes around there and it's about as good as whats in the East Nashville part where I live which is also in the same zip code.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM

31 posts, read 106,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
Places I recommend you avoid are Lavergne, Antioch, East Nashville and areas near downtown or universities such as Vandy or Belmont.

If we recommended everyone avoid East Nashville, it would never turn around. When you exit I24 for Shelby Ave, you are greeted by projects. But by people coming into the area anyway, great progress has been made. We are standing up and saying, "We are not scared, we are not intimidated, and we want to reverse the vicious cycle of crime in all of Nashville." People coming into areas such as this are helping to remove much of East Nashville's isolation. It's like a blister, if you don't pop it, it will continue to fester. I know that sounds gross, but that's what crime is.

As for Antioch, the only reason I wouldn't go there is because it's too far away and for some reason the property tax is much higher... strange. I would also avoid Vandy/Belmont area simply because A) it's too expensive and B) WAY too crowded.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,033,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sek1986 View Post
As for Antioch, the only reason I wouldn't go there is because it's too far away and for some reason the property tax is much higher... strange. I would also avoid Vandy/Belmont area simply because A) it's too expensive and B) WAY too crowded.
Antioch and LaVergne should be avoided because they are moving in the wrong direction. While East Nashville is still dicey in many areas but is making great progress, Antioch and LaVergne are getting worse by the day. It makes sense to me: the riff-raff being displaced from East Nashville as things turn around there have to land somewhere. It's a zero sum game if you think about it.

Vandy and Belmont are certainly not bad areas, but you will pay a LOT of money for not a lot of house. Also, you will be surrounded by lots of college kids. Five years ago I loved those areas, but now when I go there I feel like that "creepy older guy" hitting on 18-21 year old chicks. Growing up is a drag!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,705 times
Goodman2 and Sek1986. It is good to see some defense of 37207. My girlfriend and I are about to buy a really cool house that is a total rehab in the area. I have to admit that I have had some trepidation around the decision, but there are good signs that the area is on it's way up. Just like now-trendy 37206 it will take more dedicated people to continue the momentum. We are not only buying a home, but are really investing in the area and we want to do what we can to make sure our investment is a good one. Do either of you know if there is an active Neighborhood Association for Cleveland Park?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
Anyone interested in the northern part of zip code 37207 here in Nashville such as around Whites Creek Pike or better yet the Bellshire neighborhood near Hunters Lane High School.

I have found out there are some nice looking new homes around there and it's about as good as whats in the East Nashville part where I live which is also in the same zip code.
Last weekend I went to check out my buddy's new place, and my trek took me through this area. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised. There are also some nice older homes off Nesbitt Drive, which I am pretty sure is also in 37207.

Unfortunately, the phrase "near Hunters Lane High School" alone is enough to scare off any safety-minded person. Taking a wrecking ball to that "school" would be a good first step toward making the northern part of 37207 a pretty nice place to live.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 AM

933 posts, read 2,743,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookace View Post
Goodman2 and Sek1986. It is good to see some defense of 37207. My girlfriend and I are about to buy a really cool house that is a total rehab in the area. I have to admit that I have had some trepidation around the decision, but there are good signs that the area is on it's way up. Just like now-trendy 37206 it will take more dedicated people to continue the momentum. We are not only buying a home, but are really investing in the area and we want to do what we can to make sure our investment is a good one. Do either of you know if there is an active Neighborhood Association for Cleveland Park?
I would join and post this question to the East Nashville Google Group. It's an active discussion group and you should have the info within 15 minutes or so. The residents of 37207 are very proud of where they live and are a tightnit group. If I was buying a house right now, I'd probably buy one there as well (btw, another hot spot is in Inglewood near the intersection of McGavock and Riverside, where Riverside Village is. You can still get a bargain there).

Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM

161 posts, read 499,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Antioch and LaVergne should be avoided because they are moving in the wrong direction. While East Nashville is still dicey in many areas but is making great progress, Antioch and LaVergne are getting worse by the day. It makes sense to me: the riff-raff being displaced from East Nashville as things turn around there have to land somewhere. It's a zero sum game if you think about it.

Vandy and Belmont are certainly not bad areas, but you will pay a LOT of money for not a lot of house. Also, you will be surrounded by lots of college kids. Five years ago I loved those areas, but now when I go there I feel like that "creepy older guy" hitting on 18-21 year old chicks. Growing up is a drag!
LOL. Everything I've read is the belmont/hillsboro village area is very safe. I'm getting conflicting reports on this post. Please help. We are now looking in the Belle Meade/Green Hills/Hillsboro Village/Bellmont/West End area. We would like a very safe walkable neighborhood to raise our baby. Thank you.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu41 View Post
LOL. Everything I've read is the belmont/hillsboro village area is very safe. I'm getting conflicting reports on this post. Please help. We are now looking in the Belle Meade/Green Hills/Hillsboro Village/Bellmont/West End area. We would like a very safe walkable neighborhood to raise our baby. Thank you.
Every area you just mentioned is safe. Some are more walkable than others, namely Hillsboro Village.

There are a ton of "walkers" and joggers in Belle Meade, and it is a beautful area with beautiful, walkable streets, but it's not walkable in the sense that you can walk to everything you need, i.e. the grocery store, movies, entertainment, etc. If you can afford the price tag, it's a GREAT place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville