Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM

35 posts, read 166,097 times

Advertisements

I read that the Army Corps of Engineers just lowered the water level in the Cumberland Dam in Kentucky because of the danger that the Dam may fail causing flooding in Kentucky and Tennessee, including the Nashville area. How much of the Nashville area will be affected? Obviously, the areas near the Cumberland river will be affected. What would be the flood radius if the Dam fails?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Cumberland Dam

The reason I'm asking this question is that I'm planning to relocate in the near future. When I read this article on the internet I became concerned about the situation and the serious consequences that could happen if in fact the dam failed. Since I'm not familiar with the Nashville area, I thought maybe someone from this forum would be kind enough to help me out. I'm currently looking at Murfreesboro and other towns located south of Nashville. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 72,926 times
No part of South Nashville borders the Cumberland river, so you're safe.
Nashville has flooded (pre-dam era) more than a few times and if I'm not mistaken the highest level was less than ten foot and it only affected the lower lying areas. The radius (over flow) would be less than a 1/4 of a mile from the riverbanks

Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM

63 posts, read 294,281 times
What do you mean by lower lying area? Are Franklyn, Hermitage, Downtown Nashville, Belle Meade considered?
Thanks

Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Thank you for replying Life is Good. I was afraid I'd scared off folks due to the fact that a lot of people don't want to think about "Bad News". Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:48 AM

16 posts, read 72,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Thank you for replying Life is Good. I was afraid I'd scared off folks due to the fact that a lot of people don't want to think about "Bad News". Thanks again.
Haha...I think you're right but if I'm not mistaken there are a few online reports floating around that give more facts than I can.. besides there are a lot of measures that are being taken right now to prevent the dam from giving way.

Re:Are Franklyn, Hermitage, Downtown Nashville, Belle Meade considered?
None except Downtown Nashville could be affected?

Also Leap if you are really concerned about this,a simple fix would be to just get a map and don't move within a 1/4 mile of the river

Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,926 times
Exclamation Attn: To Snowman

Hi Snowman! We're having the same concerns....Here is the Corps of Engineers link Re: flooding due to dam failure in the Nashville area'

http://www.cityofmtjuliet.org/publicnotice/WOLpublicbriefing.pdf (broken link)
http://www.cityofmtjuliet.org/publicnotice/WEMAemergencyplan.pdf (broken link)

We were looking to relocate to Mt. Juliet but now we're not so sure.

Kim

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 26,683 times
Lake Cumberland, Wolf Creek Dam has been under constant construction for leaks around the base of the dam off and on since the late 1960's. It is a really lucky thing for Nashville that congress saw fit to allocate a large portion of of repair money in 2008. According to the Army Corps Lake Cumberland is the largest lake East of the Mississippi. In fact it is so large that every man made lake could fit inside and have room left over for some more. If that dam should fail suddenly all debts are off for Nashville. The water would top every dam downstream and it would be a good guess that all the dams downstream would be at least topped if not broken. Do a search on Wolfcreek Dam. It is unlikely that even the corps doesn't know for certain how much damage would be done.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,209,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collgra View Post
Lake Cumberland, Wolf Creek Dam has been under constant construction for leaks around the base of the dam off and on since the late 1960's. It is a really lucky thing for Nashville that congress saw fit to allocate a large portion of of repair money in 2008. According to the Army Corps Lake Cumberland is the largest lake East of the Mississippi. In fact it is so large that every man made lake could fit inside and have room left over for some more. If that dam should fail suddenly all debts are off for Nashville. The water would top every dam downstream and it would be a good guess that all the dams downstream would be at least topped if not broken. Do a search on Wolfcreek Dam. It is unlikely that even the corps doesn't know for certain how much damage would be done.
That's why it is always intense staying in the campground at the base of the dam.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
Collgra, that's a bit of a stretch. Every manmade lake in Kentucky perhaps, but considering the lakes in TN, not remotely possible.

Still, it would be a major disaster if the dam were to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville