Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,954 times

Advertisements

I have had Verizon here in Austin TX for 2 years and am moving to Nashville in the fall. When I got Verizon here, I was looking forward to saving some money with the free INcalling, but no-one down here has Verizon. For every 900 minutes or so on my bill, there are something like 35 that are actual INcalling. I want to avoid this happening again...both companies have the same plan rates, and I would prefer whichever one has the most users in the area I will be living. Anyone have an idea on this? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:05 AM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
Most people I've asked have Verizon

Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I have Verizon. It is much better than T-Mobile. I can't remember when my last dropped call took place. Very satisfied.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM

627 posts, read 1,845,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Most people I've asked have Verizon
Ditto

Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
I switched to Verizon about a year ago, and I love it. Even when I visit my folks in the mountains in East TN I get service. Not to mention MUCH better customer service than I ever had with Sprint.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 38,217 times
My entire family and I have AT&T

Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM

145 posts, read 515,234 times
I vote for Verizon Wireless.

The way someone tried to describe it to me is that they have a smarter way of communicating between the cell phone towers which prevents dropped calls (I think a call can be connected to as many as 3 towers at a time and transitions as you travel). AT&T's connection is more abrupt and you can hit a dead zone even in the middle of a city as you move from one tower's range to another. I'm not technical enough to know how accurate these statements are, but based on the complaints I heard from former Cingular (now AT&T users), it matches up.

I administer the Verizon Wireless account for my employer as well. I think this company has tried all the cell phone providers and Verizon Wireless has been by far the best. The IN minutes my company uses is about double the amount of minutes they'd be allowed under our plan. That's a whole lot of free minutes. As a result, my co-workers switched to Verizon Wireless so they can call between friends, family and work without using up minutes. IN (IN NETWORK) is a great feature.

Customer service is important, too, and I have no complaints with Verizon Wireless (at least for business customers...it's not so great at the local stores for consumers, though). When our company disconnected with Cingular (in the process of changing to AT&T) the customer service from Cingular was deplorable. Six months of fighting over erroneous charges! I finally had to bring the FCC into the picture to get resolution via a consumer complaint. I can't say how AT&T is now, but since they took over the Cingular Wireless accounts, one would think it's still the same company under a different name. Of course, if you have to have an iPhone, then AT&T is the only choice for now.

It varies by person what is best. I don't think the Verizon Wireless network is best for international travelers, but within the U.S. I personally wouldn't go with anything else.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 59,639 times
My husband has Verizon- lots of dropped calls and out of service areas. And he can't use his phone in our house. We live 3 miles from the center of Mt Juliet- although it is a somewhat rural, by no means out in the sticks. He doesn't have a choice since it's work-provided.

I have AT&T, few dropped calls, and some out of service areas, doesn't seem as many as my husband's plan. There is one annoying area in Green Hill on Lebanon Rd where 80% of the time I drive through my call drops. I can also use my phone in the house

If you want to use it in your home as your primary phone, I would see if you can borrow one from each plan to see which will work best in your exact area.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM

113 posts, read 382,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN69 View Post
I have had Verizon here in Austin TX for 2 years and am moving to Nashville in the fall. When I got Verizon here, I was looking forward to saving some money with the free INcalling, but no-one down here has Verizon. For every 900 minutes or so on my bill, there are something like 35 that are actual INcalling. I want to avoid this happening again...both companies have the same plan rates, and I would prefer whichever one has the most users in the area I will be living. Anyone have an idea on this? Thanks...
I say go with Verizon! I've had it for years and years. Most of my friends have other carriers and need to use my phone when we're bad zone! Really! Get the plan I have. It's $99 a month and it's unlimited (cell to cell or land lines). It's great! You can call who you want and when you want. Also have the GPS in it and that is GREAT!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 16,954 times
Thanks for the replies, though I think a lot of you misunderstood me (even the guy at the end who is getting paid by Verizon to post on forums). I don't care which is best. I feel Verizon is "best", actually, in terms of quality of service and customer assistance. I just want to know if it is as common a provider in Tennesse as any others are, so I can take advantage of free INcalling and have a cheaper plan. All the providers seem to have INcalling, but it doesn't do you much good when most of the people in your area don't have your provider (as it is with Verizon here in central Texas -- NO-ONE seems to have it).

Again, thanks for helpin' out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville