Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 43,086 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Nashville from Cleveland.

My son suffers from eczema, which is triggered by outdoor allergies and humidity. I keep reading how bad it is in Nashville, but I can not determine if there is much difference between Nashville and Cleveland. Any help would be great.

Second question....the economy is down all over. In Ohio we have companies shutting down left and right. How is the overall economy is Nashville right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM

150 posts, read 441,274 times
I can't comment on the economy here as I just moved two weeks ago from Raleigh, NC. When I have been out and about it looks pretty busy shopping wise. But, I can say that the weather and humidity have been better here than Raleigh. I am from Columbia, SC and it's miserable there in the summer. Raleigh was much better than Columbia and Nashville has been better than Raleigh.

Once I knew that I was to move here, I checked the weather on a regular basis. Generally the temperature was about 3 to 5 degrees lower than Raleigh and Raleigh is generally an average of 6 degrees lower than Columbia. I don't mind heat but I hate the humidity so each time I move I try to go where the weather is cooler and drier!

Also, I don't know how old your son is, but if he is older than about 18 months you might want to try some clinical aromatherapy for his eczema. I have an aunt, 92 years young who has battled eczema for decades. It is her only health issue other than high blood pressure. She has been to dermatologists for years with no real help. The eczema just travels up and down her body. I have been an esthetician for years and over the last couple have been training in aromatherapy. She started using a cream that was blended for her with great success. She also had great results with an eczema cleansing bar from a company called "A Natural Difference".

Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on the eczema....I will definitely check it out. I am going to check with my son's doc. I think the eczema/allergy is going to be comparable to Cleveland.

Reading here though...I am bit worried about commute times. Shocking to me. I live 25 miles south of Cleveland and it takes me about 40 minutes to get to work....with no real congestion. I am lucky to know some of the shortcuts to get around any congestion that builds up....and there are several routes to take if there is an an accident.

Also, cost of housing seems high for the market. I thought going to a smaller market the housing would be less. Does not seem to be that way in Nashville if you want a decent school system.

Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM

153 posts, read 689,289 times
Having moved here from cleveland a couple years ago, it does seem, looking at the city that it might be a smaller market, but the population is actually about 100,000 larger. More importantly, the economy is much stronger here. I just moved my little brother down here from cleveland to help him get a job. So, cost of housing is definitely much higher here, but I don't know that commutes are that horrible--certainly 71 and 77 were never fantastic. Commutes are probably a little longer, but I not significantly so. My wife tells me its less humid here, but the heat's significant enough that I can't tell. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 PM

21 posts, read 66,909 times
Default from cleveland oh

I just moved here two months ago from cleveland so far so good. I just wanted to say hello and I would def come down and visit to get a feel for nashville to see if you like it I am sure you will. From what I see the economy seems to be a lot better here good luck with your decesion

kris

Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Default thanks

Good to hear from people who have moved from the market. Market size I was looking at it from a TV perspective, as that is the business I am in. Cleveland ranks 17...while Nashville is 38th. I would have to take a closer look at how they designate the viewing area.

Anyways, glad to hear the economy is stronger....not so glad that it seems like the cost of living would actually be higher than it is here.

We are coming down this weekend for a preliminary visit. My husband has been there several times and I have been there once. So we will see how it goes.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 AM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
Hopefully, your trip will go well. My husband is from Cleveland and had only lived in Ohio prior to moving here. Every time we go to visit his family in Cleveland, it seems the economy just keeps getting worse and worse there. Unfortunately, we can't wait to get back to Nashville where everything seems to be buzzing, blooming and has a more upbeat atmosphere (to us). We both comment on how depressing it seems and how most of the people there don't even really realize how bad it is. His uncle owns a real estate brokerage and has done very well over the years there. He states it's the worst he's ever seen it there and could not believe our market here was doing so well, comparatively.

So my husband and I both would say that the economy is much stronger here. Not to mention the climate is dramatically different which we believe also contributes to the depressing feelings we feel while there. My husband was shocked when he moved here to see one sunny day after another after another and is so spoiled now that he could never return there to live. The ceiling of clouds up there is not what you typically experience here. Winters are mild and short. Days of shoveling snow are gone. While Lake Erie is amazing, you can enjoy some really nice small lakes for many more months out of the year here as well.

As for allergies, my husband has suffered from allergies quite a bit since moving here. He had never had issues prior to the move, so unfortunately, it may be an issue. However, we have lots of good allergists in town. We have a good friend who is an allergist who gives us what we need to get through the allergy season in a breeze. And now, we are just informed and have medicine to take care of our specific allergies when we need them and are just fine.

We do have quite the entertainment industry here, so you should be able to find several TV avenues to explore, depending on what you're looking for...Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM

153 posts, read 689,289 times
Alright, Dena, let's not get too down on Cleveland--it's still a city with a lot of culture and a heckofalot more pleasant summers than you'll ever find down here Not to mention the world's second best athlete...

Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
I was not too down on Cleveland. Everything I said was what my husband "felt" and what others have said there. It was an opinion, just like the opinion you just stated about summers...which some would agree, and others would not.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Default it is true

Unfortunately, most of what you said about Cleveland is true....the ceiling of clouds. Summers are good here.....but that is really only June thru mid July.....then it gets hot and humid. So its really only six weeks.

And with companies moving out left and right....people are depressed as they can not find new jobs. The economy directly affects my income as I am paid on commission. And it is really killing us this year. We have been thinking about this move for awhile now....and the economy is what has gotten me off my butt to really look into it. So maybe the bad economy has been good for me in a way

People here are not going out and doing things...they are too scared to spend for fear of the future of their jobs. People are almost paralyzed. Of course this is my opinion...as I am one of the paralyzed

Thanks so much....I kep trying to post a new thread, but it won't let me for some reason. I am interested in finding a reputable nanny service for one night for the kids. The hotel gave us "Mary Poppins". If you know of any....it would be great or have heard of this one....any info would be great.

Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville