Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM

65 posts, read 214,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
This is hilarious. "Smart and intelligent people" only drink Raw milk.
No,
(1) people who prefer raw foods drink raw milk
(2) people who own a dairy cow instead of paying a third party drink raw milk
(3) people who understand and believe pasteurization negatively affects the quality of the milk drink raw milk
and
(4) drinking of raw milk does not exclude stupid people, but I might agree that those people stand a higher chance to get sick if they get it from a disreputable source.

Quote:
To put this into perspective, come dinner time, would you call the kiddies in around the dinner table and slap a nice, raw, bloody, uncooked steak on their plates?
I know people who eat their steaks raw - as in rare - as in sear one side, sear the other and slap it on a plate. I dont prefer it. They dont die or get sick and I dont judge them or think they are stupid. Does that mean I am going to do it? No, and likewise I dont expect you to drink raw milk either or judge you for not drinking it. Your choice.

Quote:
Or- how about a nice raw, uncooked chicken breast?
This one is a desparate analogy which isnt apples to apples comparison and clearly falls into the stupid catagory. Anyone who has done this probably isnt around to tell about it. Bad analogy silverbox... However, it is possible someone who cooked chicken in a kitchen and didnt wash the surface and then cut vegatables on the same surface with raw juices of the chicken could get deathly sick.... thats more easily done and can happen in a restaurant where the kitchen staff doesnt care a bean about you. It might also happen if the cows milk you buy is milked from a cow whose dung and urine has run down and caked over the udders and was not washed prior to milking then poured into a rusty old bucket before being poured into your mouth. Again, common sense. Good farming and cooking practices are the solution here. KNow your source.

Quote:
Better yet- unwashed vegetables, pulled right out of the ground- dirt and all?
I love pulling tomatoes off the vine and eating it like an apple, or pulling a carrot from the ground and wiping it off and eating it... red peppers, banana peppers, anything like that .... Sure it can be gritty if you dont wipe it really good, but its like camping... part of the experience - it dont bother me, so why should it bother you? I dont see your point here? Unless you are implying that I am eating vegatables that I dont know where they came from? Ah, wait, like Raw Milk... again it comes down to being intelligent about it. KNow your source.

Quote:
When you drink raw milk, that's precisely what you're doing.
No, its not what you are doing. If you know your source. Your concern is solved. This is true with everything you consume.

Quote:
Sure- there's actually a small chance that you will get sick from eating raw steak or chicken. But the chance of getting sick with cooking it is signifigantly less. Its your choice, and one made easy for you, which is to weigh the risks involved with consuming raw animal byproducts that might or might not contain live bacteria, some of which is potentially deadly, which have been scientifically proven to be eradicated with heat for hundreds of years. That's really what it "boils" down to.( no pun intended)
It boils down to people understanding that the good in the milk is also destroyed by that process and at this point, pasteurization simply allows an industry to continue to thrive without having to care for a product in a healthy way. Its about business. Let it spoil and sour, no problem, they will just pasteurize it and its all safe again - ready for your store shelves. Enjoy drinking all that slimy, chalky dead and harmless bacteria floating around in that milk, it wont hurt you, but there isnt anything left in there that will help you either.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
First of all, How about getting some facts straight? Pasteurization doesn't actually alter the state of milk, hence the reason why it has a specific term applied to it versus what would ordinarily simply be called heating, or boiling. The ONLY thing it actually does is eliminate harmful bacteria.

Secondly, If you want to go and talk to my relatives who both have college degrees in agriculture, and have actually worked on a farm that their great grandfather started and tell them just how much you'd love for them to give you some raw milk, be my guest, but don't expect anything. They know a bit more than the average person-yourself included- about food safety.

I live in San Francisco myself, where the latest-greatest foodie trends are all the rage, where people get it into their heads that somehow, ALL aspects of prepared foodstuffs is surely the work of the Devil, and if you do anything to food, well by golly it is UN-PURE.So I've seen and heard it all. Trust me.its like a fashion show out here, except with food.

Listen, I myself actually shop at organic grocery stores, pull tomatoes off the vine, etc etc. But when it comes to animal by-products, it is outright unwise to consume it when there is without a doubt a proven, completely chemical-free method using nothing more than temperature to prevent illness. If you have that option... why risk it unnecessarily? Additionally, whatever supposed health benefits you might possibly gain from Raw milk can be attained in other forms of food.

This seems like it is a HUGE deal to you, almost like some sort of religion. So by all means- go a step further- walk up to a cow and drink milk right out of the udders. But don't screw up the facts: non-pasteurized milk DOES contain more bacteria, and CAN make you very sick, and more so than from pasteurized milk.

Lastly, to answer why the state has this... CONSPIRACY to not sell raw milk is because if it were allowed and someone like you were to get sick from it, then you'd sue the pants off of the farmer. Doesn't that seem to further justify why the law exists? It it were not potentially harmful, then it wouldn't be legislation would it?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM

We can at most agree to disagree.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,806 times
silverbox is spot on.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:26 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,657 times
to each his own. but for the lactose intolerant, raw milk has no ill effects. so obviously i will continue to drink the raw milk and wonder about what has happened to the store milk that makes me sick.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithey View Post
to each his own. but for the lactose intolerant, raw milk has no ill effects. so obviously i will continue to drink the raw milk and wonder about what has happened to the store milk that makes me sick.
"This is because unlike pasteurized milk which has been stripped of all of its nutritive value, raw milk has all of the good stuff left in, including lactase, the enzyme that aids in the digestion of lactose."

Quoted from an excellent article that speaks the truth :
Why do some people love raw milk

Old 08-12-2008, 03:41 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
And to think.... all this over 'MILK".

Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
And to think.... all this over 'MILK".
I couldnt agree with you more.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:54 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee123 View Post
I couldnt agree with you more.
Thank you. Now, orange juice gets pasteurized, doesn't it? Is it better before of after? What do you think. I'm just trying to expand our horizons! LOL

Old 08-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Discriminating palletes can tell the difference. Juices get pasteurized for the same reasons milk is. Extended shelf life and to allow for reduced need for quality control - they can just zap the pathogens using the pasteurization process and eliminate their need to pay the extra expense of getting the end consumer a raw and whole food product. Its purely a business decision and to keeps bureaucrats at bay. Tropicana or Purity couldnt care about anything else - luckily if you care, the grocery stores around here will fresh squeeze it and sell it in half gallons, or you can buy oranges yourself a juice them.

Interesting article on it: Floridian: Real Florida: Put out to pasteurization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville