Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 16,786 times

Advertisements

I have recently accepted a job with Vandy in the Medical School and am currently looking to relocate to the Brentwood/Nolensville area. We are in the process of selling our house here on the East coast and will be looking in the 350-400K range. Curious if anyone has any information on what the commute might look like from those areas--time of work is very flexible but will probably be in the 7:30-4:30 range.

Also, have looked at some schools via greatschools.net and these areas look to be very good--except the John Overton high school.

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated regarding commutes and housing and schoools. Oldest child will be starting kindergarten once we move and second child has a couple years.

Very Best Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
CRHop, Brentwood currently has only seven homes on the market for under 350k and none of these are within thirty minutes commute time to Vandy during rush hour traffic(7-8:30). From the Nolensville area you are probably looking at over forty minutes each way during rush hour. Much of the commute time is dependent upon where in Brentwood that you live(i.e., which side of I-65 and how close to the Davidson County line). There are areas in Brentwood where you are looking at about a twenty minute commute but those houses are over 400k.
Regarding schools, Williamson County rates much better than Davidson County. Although there are some good schools in Davidson County, the system itself is in disarray and is having difficulty recruiting a Superintendent of Schools. I don't know of anyone who would recommend the Davidson County School System over any surrounding county school system. You mentioned John Overton HS and it is in Davidson County.
Hope this helps some.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,469 times
Are there plans to build a high school in Nolensville any time soon? I always have a hard time to get in the Williamson County School website.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 36,233 times
I live the next exit up from the Brentwood exit, takes about 20 to get to Vandy area.

Its not bad... I would stay in Williamson County if you could.

Moderator cut: cute

Last edited by Beretta; 06-23-2008 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: no realtor advertising, thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
OP didn't say he needed to stay under 350, he said between 350-400. That has to help some....

Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 AM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
The one school you were commenting on that did not sound favorable to you is in Davidson County. Keep in mind that Brentwood and Nolensville can be in either Davidson or Williamson County, and the schools systems vary considerably. I think several of the people on here are assuming you're only looking at Williamson County. For whatever search you're performing, you may want to limit it to Williamson County, based on your comments.

You'll notice that you get a little less for your money in housing in Brentwood than Nolensville, but there are about 20 or so that will come up in your search in Brentwood under $400,000. Many of them will be nice homes. For instance, Courtyard at Southern Woods is a newer subdivision and has one for sale in your price range and another newer subdivison, Bridgeton Park, has several in your price range. Then there are some homes in Brentwood in various subdivisions or outside of subdivisions that may be a little older, but that are still nice. Some need a little updating and others might need quite a bit, but there are some that come with nice pieces of property of 1+ acre, which can be nice if that's something that interests you. There's one available in Brenthaven, which is a great location because of its proximity to Crockett Park, for example.

Nolensville communities that will offer newer homes, a little more for your money, and that are within your price range are: Bent Creek, Silver Stream Estates, Nolen Park, and Burkitt Place. I saw one property in Nolensville with about 5 acres of land near Franklin also.

So you do have some options in those areas, and the commute is not that bad. Franklin would offer more in your price range, but you'd need to stay close to I65 to make the commute worth it for you, if you were willing to add another few minutes to a commute. As of right now, you'd take your options from 37 in Brentwood/Nolensville combined to 119 in Franklin alone, but again, you'd need to narrow that down to the ones near I 65 if you want shorter commutes. Believe it or not, some of the communities right off the Interstate in Franklin might be the same commute as some of the communities quite a ways away from the Interstate in Brentwood or Nolensville...just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 AM

4 posts, read 16,786 times
Thanks for all the replies. My family came down a couple weeks ago and were able to find several homes in our price range in the Brentwood/Nolensville/Franklin area and settled on a house in Nolensville. Area seems very nice and the commute wasn't too bad at the time I usually get to work (7-7:30). I made sure I drove the commute at the time I usually come in and it was ~30 minutes. Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRHop View Post
I have recently accepted a job with Vandy in the Medical School and am currently looking to relocate to the Brentwood/Nolensville area. We are in the process of selling our house here on the East coast and will be looking in the 350-400K range. Curious if anyone has any information on what the commute might look like from those areas--time of work is very flexible but will probably be in the 7:30-4:30 range.

Also, have looked at some schools via greatschools.net and these areas look to be very good--except the John Overton high school.

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated regarding commutes and housing and schoools. Oldest child will be starting kindergarten once we move and second child has a couple years.

Very Best Regards.

did you find a realtor yet? i know of a GREAT one! you would just love her! she has helped my fiance and i out sooo much! let me know, ill give u her name

Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM

187 posts, read 623,252 times
for that price range, you really should consider Green Hills area. Your children have so many years before they will go to high school and Green Hills has some of the best elementary and middle schools. I live in Burton Hills where there are many families with young children and they all go to Percy Priest and J T Moore. The high school is Hillsboro High School and is listed as one of the top schools in the country. When it comes to Davidson County schools, don't count them all as bad because our magnet schools and Hillsboro are some of the best there are. Green Hills, your comute will be 10 minutes tops and you can even take the metro bus into Vandy as I do and Vandy pays your bus fare. The property values in this area have held true also.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
$350-400k can buy you a VERY nice house in Middle Tennessee.

Just not in Brentwood.

Not to be bias but Hendersonville was the Brentwood before Brentwood was around and have very nice houses starting at $150k.

I think you may be able to find a house with a Brentwood address but it'll be away from what is typical Brentwood, It'll be back off Nolensville Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville