Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:42 PM

177 posts, read 176,668 times

Advertisements

I'm a software developer from PA whose been living in Denver for 4 years now!

I understand nashville has some of the best bluegrass music in the country yeah? In denver i just discovered how many lovely open jams there are and I have found myself progressing on the fiddle to the point where I am a bit obsessed. I don't even rock climb hardly at all like I used to!

What are the open jams like? How often? I find myself pretty average at fiddle, but I intend to hone in on my craft, and the thought of nashville seems great.

Are there many people out in nashville that climb much? Outdoors obviously, I know there's a gym there, that's not the point.

I really just wanna site by a stream, play some instruments, and relax in the sun ya know? Denvers alright for it but i need some more TREES.

Could I afford a house/nice walkable condo there for 200k? I sure can NOT in denver!

And lastly, how would a software developer who plays fiddle and enjoys rock climbing fare with the ladies of nashville? I do like to smoke weed. I hear they are conservative down there.....

I might spend 9 days there for thanksgiving since i have off... any suggestions on places to check out?

Last edited by jweb29; 11-18-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 04:11 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
Quote:
Could I afford a house/nice walkable condo there for 200k?
No.

Quote:
I do like to smoke weed.
It is illegal in Tennessee.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
No.

It is illegal in Tennessee.
Yeah N. CAL, I had a lot of things i wanted to talk about, and the two things i replied with could easily have been googled anyways. If i could edit the original post, i'd remove those parts, You're not very helpful.

I mostly am curious if anyone wanted to talk about the bluegrass pickers scene and the rock climbing outdoors scene. As well as places to check out while I visit.

Last edited by jweb29; 11-19-2019 at 06:49 AM..

Old 11-19-2019, 06:51 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
I wouldn't spend nine days in the area. Nashville is not a huge city. While Tennessee doesn't have the "winter gloom" or snow of the northeast, it's also not Florida - keep in mind that upper 40s/lower 50s highs with overcast skies are fairly common this time of year.

I don't rock climb, but am a fairly serious hiker, and I would look a bit east of Nashville in the Catoosa Falls and Fall Creek Falls areas for the potential for outdoor climbing. Chattanooga, about 2.5 hours to the southeast on I-24, is a great outdoor city and does have climbing opportunities. Outdoor recreation in Nashville is not going to be to the standard of points farther east in the state.

One of the biggest misconceptions of Nashville is that it is the hub of just country music. You can find people playing pretty much any style of music you want. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the people playing open jams in Nashville are trying to make a name for themselves, and many are very good.

You can find something for $200,000, but it may not be in a great area and it won't be walkable to much. That ship sailed years ago.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-29211?view=qv

I work in IT and the tech/software development fields in Nashville are going to skew heavily toward healthcare. Change Healthcare is a big healthcare software vendor. I believe Allscripts relocated some offices there. Cigna, Ascension, and Acadia Healthcare are fairly big names. You also have the major medical system like Vanderbilt and CHS.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:44 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,100,937 times
You might want to check out Chattanooga? It has a more outdoorsy vibe and a really unique rock climbing 'venue' right in the center of downtown! (And there are places outdoors, too, but you have to see this!)

https://highpointclimbing.com/downtown/

Also, something to remember is that the Nashville area is home to some of the best musicians (including fiddlers) in the country, so you'll have a LOT of competition for those open jams. Sometimes is better to be the big fish (only fiddler) in a little "sea", than a little fiddler in an ocean of talent. Not sure when Tennessee will decriminalize marijuana . . . . . could be a while.

I lived in Colorado for a little while - Denver and then Fort Collins. I was so surprised at what a "bowl" Denver is - and FLAT! I like the license plates, though. Tennessee DOES have trees!

Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
You might want to check out Chattanooga? It has a more outdoorsy vibe and a really unique rock climbing 'venue' right in the center of downtown! (And there are places outdoors, too, but you have to see this!)

https://highpointclimbing.com/downtown/

Also, something to remember is that the Nashville area is home to some of the best musicians (including fiddlers) in the country, so you'll have a LOT of competition for those open jams. Sometimes is better to be the big fish (only fiddler) in a little "sea", than a little fiddler in an ocean of talent. Not sure when Tennessee will decriminalize marijuana . . . . . could be a while.

I lived in Colorado for a little while - Denver and then Fort Collins. I was so surprised at what a "bowl" Denver is - and FLAT! I like the license plates, though. Tennessee DOES have trees!

Thank you! Yes, actually, the more I research, the more chattanooga appeals to me! The whole conservative christian aspect scares the 27 year old single person I am though! Although I'm also perhaps looking to slow down and it might be okay.... maybe......

I will drive through and check out chattanooga for sure!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:11 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
Thank you! Yes, actually, the more I research, the more chattanooga appeals to me! The whole conservative christian aspect scares the 27 year old single person I am though! Although I'm also perhaps looking to slow down and it might be okay.... maybe......

The urban core of Chattanooga is very tech driven with a fairly diverse population. I have a cousin who is 24 and lives in Chattanooga - she loves it, and is not from that part of the state.

Most people in the bigger TN cities will not bring up church beyond a casual invitation, if at all. The smaller towns and rural areas tend to be tighter knit where religion plays a big part in social circles. Personally, I'd stick to the urban core or college towns if the budget allows, at least until you get the feel for any area.

Still, even communities of roughly similar size can be vastly different. I'm originally from Kingsport on the other end of the state. Kingsport is extremely religious, conservative, and insular. Johnson City, a college city a half hour away, is far more relaxed in this regard. College towns will be much more open-minded.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
Quote:
Yeah N. CAL, I had a lot of things i wanted to talk about, and the two things i replied with could easily have been googled anyways. If i could edit the original post, i'd remove those parts, You're not very helpful.

I mostly am curious if anyone wanted to talk about the bluegrass pickers scene and the rock climbing outdoors scene. As well as places to check out while I visit.

You asked specific questions. I answered. Sorry if you didn't like the answers. Musicians are a dime a dozen here. I work in a corporate setting and probably 20% of the people who work here also dabble in music (or, in one case - still does professional gigs).

Old 11-19-2019, 01:56 PM

10,096 posts, read 14,501,662 times
Quote:

Yeah, you might fall in love with Chattanooga.

I visited a couple of months ago and spent 3 days there, for the first time, even though I grew up in northeast TN.

Chattanooga has so much to do and is such a vibrant, "techie" type city, with a ton going on. The outdoors are immersed right into the city, and there are an incredible amount of things to do for outdoors loving people. Oddly, Chattanooga reminded me of a casual, chill vibe of California. Hard to put my finger on it, but it has a great livable quality to it--very easy going but trendy and tech-like.

As for the music aspect, there are a few venues around town, but since Chattanooga is relatively close-ish (quick drive up I-24) to Nashville, you might consider living in Chattanooga and driving up to Nashville for the occasional gig.

Chattanooga is cheaper than Nashville too, so you could have a few more options. A lot smaller than Nashville, but check it out, see what you think.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,100,937 times
My sister left Nashville for Chattanooga last year and is very happy. I think it's more liberal - she lives in the historic district of St. Elmo. A lot of fixer uppers. Definitely more affordable. A little over two hours to Nashville or Atlanta. 3 - 4 hours to the Great Smoky Mountains or Asheville, North Carolina.

And here is the City Data forum on Chattanooga:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chattanooga/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville