Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM

25 posts, read 107,904 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving to the Franklin area and we are considering two neighborhoods - McKays Mill and Willowsprings. I have found information on McKays Mill, but don't know anything about Willowsprings. Does anyone know anything about the neighborhood? Are there families there with young children? Young couples (30ish)? Active community? Etc... I would also like feedback on McKays Mill.

I appreciate any info you can share.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
I don't live in either one, but I have friends in both places. For starters, they're on opposite sides of town. McKay's Mill is much, much bigger, too, with its own Publix center, restaurants, etc. They're also zoned for different schools.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
I don't know much about WillowSprings although I've driven through and looked at some of the houses. I think the amentities of McKay's Mill are probably better though. I know there are a lot of families in McKay's Mill. If you are looking in Willow Springs you might want to look at Westhaven too. It is on the same side of town.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks so much for all of the info! It will help us make a decision. We are so on the fence between the two neighborhoods. We did look at Westhaven. It is very nice, but we like having a little more elbow room between the homes. Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 PM

11 posts, read 63,605 times
how is franklin these days? are they still adding more stores everywhere? the ten years i lived there i saw that place go from a town with houses in hills to a full blown suburb. last time i was there, (2 yrs ago) the place was getting little too confusing for it's own good. too urban. whats it like now?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM

30 posts, read 90,346 times
Well, for me - originally coming from CA, it's a small charming town. However, for those who have the experience to compare it to 10 years ago, it's not yet urban...but "full blown" suburbia would be a good description - with those hills & houses still on the outskirts (i.e., Leipers Fork, and the part of Franklin North of College Grove but So. of Cool Springs). It's easier now to access the outskirts - and will be even easier once I-840 and the Mack Hatcher extension goes through (not sure yet whether that will be good or bad). Fortunately, SW Williamson County has a moritorium on it where it can't be subdivided smaller than 5 acre lots, so you don't have the subdivisions here. But that restriction also makes it incredibly difficult to have reasonable housing costs (when you or a builder HAVE to buy 5 acres to put 1 house).

Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentmover View Post
how is franklin these days? are they still adding more stores everywhere? the ten years i lived there i saw that place go from a town with houses in hills to a full blown suburb. last time i was there, (2 yrs ago) the place was getting little too confusing for it's own good. too urban. whats it like now?
i don't think Franklin is "urban," per se, more like suburban sprawl gone awry. (and when I say Franklin, I mean the Cool Springs area).

The virus has spread to Spring Hill... you should go visit the Home Depot there that's the new town center.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,363 times
We are renting a home in McKay's Mill. We like the home and all the neighbors are friendly. We won't be living here long term, as the lots are too small for our tastes. But if that doesn't bother you, it is a good place to call home.

The access to I-65 from the Mill is insanely easy using the McEwen exit. We live just about at the farthest edge of the subdivision and it takes less than 5 minutes to get on I-65. Those on the west side of Franklin can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on traffic.

My wife and son enjoyed the pool this weekend.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 PM

20 posts, read 84,001 times
Just another thought...
I was in Westhaven this past weekend where we have 3 friends who have homes there. They had a neighborhood block party that was just awesome then a few days later they were back together for something or the other. The pool area is wonderful and the community atmosphere is really fun and close-knit. The folks in the 1.5million houses are friends with the folks in the 300K houses and there were no status-cliques that I could see. I really enjoyed it there and if we had double the budget, we would certainly be looking into that area. The schools are awesome for there, too.
Chrissy

Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM

I haven't checked this for a while. Thanks for the additional feedback. We finally settled on Polk Place. We found a great home there and look forward to getting there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville