Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:33 AM

7,565 posts, read 4,807,182 times

Advertisements

I had a very nice ride on MCS. It was clean, fast, efficient. Not crowded at all. Took 20 minutes what would take 1 hour driving 7-ish in the morning on Interstate.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 03-18-2019 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 AM

192 posts, read 259,714 times
It was pointed out already in the thread that the only route worth taking is either one way or the other morning or afternoon back. You still have to drive a vehicle to the station, park, and get on a train, and do the same at the other end. I have no need to go to Mt Juliet at 7am and be there until 4 pm. Can you even walk to downtown Mt Juliet from the Station; is there even anything there to do? I doubt the ride is only 20 minites, more like 40. Not including the waiting and parking.

You have to design a city in advance 150 years, you know, the way those awful Yankees did up north, where public transit is 150 years old and designed into the infrastructure of a city.

The mistake was getting rid of the old trolly systems all over America. This is one of the few appealing elements of living in the Philadelphia area. There is public transportation everywhere, and real trolleys that still go 30 miles out to little towns in the suburbs. Every city should have planned for that and didn't.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 AM

125 posts, read 151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I had a very nice ride on MCS. It was clean, fast, efficient. Not crowded at all. Took 20 minutes what would take 1 hour driving 7-ish in the morning on Interstate.

I took the star a few months ago from Donelson and found it very relaxing to make it into downtown Nashville for $2.00. Will probably use again in Wil Co.next week.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,055,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
It was pointed out already in the thread that the only route worth taking is either one way or the other morning or afternoon back. You still have to drive a vehicle to the station, park, and get on a train, and do the same at the other end. I have no need to go to Mt Juliet at 7am and be there until 4 pm. Can you even walk to downtown Mt Juliet from the Station; is there even anything there to do? I doubt the ride is only 20 minites, more like 40. Not including the waiting and parking.

You have to design a city in advance 150 years, you know, the way those awful Yankees did up north, where public transit is 150 years old and designed into the infrastructure of a city.

The mistake was getting rid of the old trolly systems all over America. This is one of the few appealing elements of living in the Philadelphia area. There is public transportation everywhere, and real trolleys that still go 30 miles out to little towns in the suburbs. Every city should have planned for that and didn't.
Why do you think that is?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I doubt the ride is only 20 minites, more like 40. Not including the waiting and parking.
It is about 26 minutes allocated from Hermitage, and about 34 minutes from MJ to Nashville Downtown.

Middle Tennessee RTA Schedules - RTA train schedules, holiday schedule, holiday operations, to and from Nashville

Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM

176 posts, read 181,902 times
Quote:

Glad it works for you, I guess you work Downtown. For everyone else commuting into Nashville from the Mt Juliet/Hermitage/Lebanon area it's pretty worthless.

Needed to go in on Saturday to the Downtown area to meet some relatives who came into town... would have loved to been able to use the train, but nope. Had to drive down, park, walk across the pedestrian bridge and deal with Broadway just after the Kentucky game. Uggg....

Travelhound... Mt Juliet doesn't have a downtown area. There are a few stores around the "depot" but nothing to really spend time at.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,100,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg01 View Post
Glad it works for you, I guess you work Downtown. For everyone else commuting into Nashville from the Mt Juliet/Hermitage/Lebanon area it's pretty worthless.

Needed to go in on Saturday to the Downtown area to meet some relatives who came into town... would have loved to been able to use the train, but nope. Had to drive down, park, walk across the pedestrian bridge and deal with Broadway just after the Kentucky game. Uggg....

Travelhound... Mt Juliet doesn't have a downtown area. There are a few stores around the "depot" but nothing to really spend time at.
I don't know what you mean by depot but I've always just considered Providence to be "downtown" since it's been there. I know it's not really a typical downtown and it's not geographically centered but it's undoubtedly the center of shopping and entertainment.

edit: maybe you're talking about the MCS station

Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I don't know what you mean by depot but I've always just considered Providence to be "downtown" since it's been there. I know it's not really a typical downtown and it's not geographically centered but it's undoubtedly the center of shopping and entertainment.

edit: maybe you're talking about the MCS station
Providence is what I think of MJ downtown too, or at least where I take friends when I say "Let's go downtown."

I am not sure though if there are buses from the MJ station to Providence.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,100,861 times
Quote:
Providence is what I think of MJ downtown too, or at least where I take friends when I say "Let's go downtown."

I am not sure though if there are buses from the MJ station to Providence.
Unless I'm just subconsciously too used to MJ to realize it, there aren't buses. If you really don't want to drive, Uber or Lyft is the best bet.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:00 PM

176 posts, read 181,902 times
Yep, meant the MCS station off Division St. which is a long ways to Providence by foot (approximately 3 miles)

Nope, no buses that I'm aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville