Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 41,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
While you may adjust to the summer, coming from San Diego the first one will be tough. Its very humid and hot. I know some people on this board who have been in Nashville for 20+ years don't think its so bad but when you're used to California weather your first June, July, August and let's not leave out 2/3rds of September, are going to be tough.
Im moving there in june, so i guess ill get first hand experience real fast. The worst humidity ive experienced was when i went to NYC in August. That was horrible, i walked around the city in a wife beater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,406 times
I've lived in NYC and Nashville, the humidity is similar, it just lasts longer in TN. The one good thing about Nashville is that everything is air conditioned, not the case in NYC.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
I've only been here a couple of months but the feeling I have is that the seasons are going to be very noticeable here (I've traveled through this area in different times of the year before I moved here) but as others have said summer will feel the most intense of the four seasons. You get the opposite effect if you're in the northern states. Winters in my home state of Montana were miserable and freezing but the other three seasons were very pleasant. San Diego as well as much of coastal California probably has the most pleasant climate in the country. I don't really mind hot weather and when I've been here in August it didn't even phase me, I just don't like being cold so I guess it's a matter of what feels comfortable to you. Overall I think Nashville has a generally mild climate when you compare it to the rest of the nation.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:15 PM

97 posts, read 245,761 times
For most of my life, I've lived in south central Kentucky. I'm getting ready to make a move to Nashville, and the weather is basically the same. So I think I can comment with some pretty good insight.

I've lived in Chicago the last couple of years, and I have to say that the weather here is VERY pleasant in the spring, fall, and summer. Not much humidity, mild temperatures with a few hot days, and a nice breeze. Now, in TN and KY, spring and fall are gorgeous. Winter is easy (but if there's an inch of snow on the ground, the whole place shuts down). Summer is hot, humid, and miserable in July and August (and maybe even part of September). It's a good thing us Southerners like air conditioning because you definitely need it. Here in Chicago, many apartment buildings don't even have central air. Down south, it's a must.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM

36 posts, read 99,791 times
Does the grass and all the trees go dormant during the winter? Meaning does everything go brown?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,233,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbio View Post
Does the grass and all the trees go dormant during the winter? Meaning does everything go brown?

Thanks!
The hardwood loose their leaves, of course, so there's sort of a "gray look" to the countryside.

The typical grass here is fescue, so it doesn't turn brown. It looks a little spotty in winter (sometimes it can look a little spotty in summer).

Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,406 times
Alleycat is right, its actually still quite green and pretty in the winter. More so than many other places.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
I was a little surprised by how green it was when I moved here in January. I've noticed that there's alot of really big trees including a half a dozen in my back yard that finally look like they're going to have leaves. I've lived in some different climates. I spent twenty years in Seattle and it's green all the time but depressing because of rain and constant overcast skies. I also lived in Denver which turns totally brown during the winter. So far Nashville seems pretty nice because it's not too extreme one way or the other. The one thing that I miss though is the predictable blue skies of Phoenix which is the last place I lived before I moved here. As far as climate is concerned I find that overcast days just make me feel kind of gloomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: