Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 10:16 AM

156 posts, read 609,945 times

Advertisements

Are there are any vocal ensembles/associations of Early Music in Nashville that sometimes make occasional forays into modern classical minimalism (Part, Tavener, et al)? I'm not referring to something already begun for university students exclusively, as I'm not a student anymore. This would be for a very serious set of musicians, vocalists. Naturally, the cities for this would be Boston, D.C., etc., so, that's thoroughly plain, and perhaps I don't wish to live there.

I was just wondering if there's even a small, tucked-away group (say, a handful or less) who wish to further appreciation for this type music and may be familiar with other styles, as well.

Any leads are quite appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,563 times
My vocal coach, Renee Grant-Williams, directs a chorus like you are referring and she holds auditions every year. It's called Music City Community Chorus. However, it is volunteer-based, but definitely worth the time for the experience.

Music City Community Chorus

Renee is a genius. She was the founder and conductor of the San Francisco Community Chorus, yet she is also the vocal coach to the stars. There are very few people she hasn't worked with in country music, but she crosses all genres and has plenty of impressive clients in just about every area.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:28 PM

156 posts, read 609,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
My vocal coach, Renee Grant-Williams, directs a chorus like you are referring and she holds auditions every year. It's called Music City Community Chorus. However, it is volunteer-based, but definitely worth the time for the experience.

Music City Community Chorus

Renee is a genius. She was the founder and conductor of the San Francisco Community Chorus, yet she is also the vocal coach to the stars. There are very few people she hasn't worked with in country music, but she crosses all genres and has plenty of impressive clients in just about every area.

That's a wonderful lead, thank you. As I have a boy tenor voice, would there be, do you think, an offshoot ensemble from this one? I should have added that. That's what I was looking for specifically. I've been looking specifically for a small, small group, a la Tallis Scholars and their size, yet, branching out into minimalist classics, like Arvo Part's 'Magnificat'. My years of choral singing professionally have come to this, for even in top choral groups out in Calif., Denver, Honolulu and MN, I have learned that soprani still "compete" preferentially, rather than listen to each other. Yes, alas, it's still the case in professional groups, even with all that training. In addition, I love the small ensembles, for then we can really "play" with all that lovely resonance we bounce off one another, esp. within stone acoustics. I definitely have a showcase [solo] gifting of the Lord's, similar to but less Baroque than Emma Kirby, if I may be so bold, but it was the Lord's idea after all. The meaning within my type voice always gets lost in groups larger than small ensembles (when there are 2 of each part), and that is simply because sopranos either compete with one another or they just have bigger voices, forgetting to blend, or they have godzilla vibratos. Seen from decades of observation. I'm not saying it about this group, you understand. However, I am looking for s.thing smaller. In groups like that singers collaboratively create the repertoire, as well.

BTW, I live out out-of-state and am considering relocating back after being away for quite a while. I know Nashville has transplants and maybe some from Baltimore, many from Boston I know and likely NYC. Some might be in MC3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville