Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,467 times

Advertisements

Hi! I’m attempting to move to Nashville, was in South Florida for seven years, and am originally from southern Illinois, so I’m back closer southern hospitality, people that are humble and closer to home but not too close. Any recommendations on where to live for 33 year old, single chic with a dog to consider? Right now it looks like my place in South Florida was a steal!! Price wise I’ll go up to $1600-ish for a one bedroom. Which apparently only gets you about 700 sq ft here unlike the 1200 sq ft with two bedrooms I had in Florida. I’ll be working from home, but the more square footage the better. Below is a list of the must haves/preferred, and places I’ve driven by or checked out.

Must Haves:
Patio/Balcony -- no Juliet balcony stuff
Full size Washer/Dryer in Unit
Bathtub -- I’ve seen some of these places that only have showers, I don’t keep bath and body works in business because I buy their candles
Grassy areas -- preferably somewhat near a park or where there’s open spaces, the whole concrete everywhere is a little too claustrophobic and dreary city for me and I have a dog
Well-lit at night too -- since walking dog, I’d really prefer not to have to walk around with mace like everyone has said at times
Parking – Garage preferred, so my stuff doesn’t get broken into
Pool
Gym

Any recommendations on places or areas to live in? Something near fun stuff but or at least easy access?
I am pretty sure the same architect designed all of the apartments in Nashville area, who makes a long kitchen along the whole entire wall almost and puts an island in the middle of 700 sq ft place? No one in a one bedroom cooks, if you can afford some of these places, you’re only eating Ramen, and even if they did cook how could you even entertain a lot of people cause all the square footage is hogged up by the island in the kitchen. I’m obviously not a big foodie.

I’ve narrowed it down possibly to either:
Broadstone 8th near 12 South: Nice, spacious complex, a few grassy areas behind and to the side to walk the dog. They’re still undergoing construction, but whatevs I’m not using the pool in December.

Tapestry in Brentwood: Sooooo much NICER!!! Wide open spaces, lots of grassy areas, tucked away from the crazy busy roads, but also with cute shopping areas and restaurants that aren’t chaotic, and had parking spots for people. But…….. there is a train track right behind it and from reviews, it’s a well used train system. Also $400 to DNA test your dogs poop is ridiculous, and then charges on top of that, plus the guy that showed us around was a douche. But this place was basically in a better setting with grass and shops. However….is Brentwood too far? Uber is basically $24 one way, do most people drive in to do stuff? Are there parking garages near downtown?

I checked out some of these places or marked them off the list the past two weekends:
Germantown:

1.) Broadstone Germantown --- no grassy areas, they're building another two complexes right next to it and it's right next to an over pass on one side, on the lower part of the building it has a road that goes around it and under the over pass, oh yea a few bums under the overpass....so that's a no.

2. The Monroe -- they're still doing construction on one of the buildings, and it's far from grass, I would have to let the dog go to the bathroom in small little sections of bushes by people's walk outs, oopsie.

3.) Peyton Stakes -- they were closed and pretty sure they'll be too pricey, on the backside of the building about 20 yards was a big open field, on the other side a junk lot or something with barbed wire at the top of it, not the safest but I could walk the dog in the soccer area. I think the only cheap ones though would be a first floor.

4.) Vista Germantown -- this wasn't bad, it would be a walk across a busy road (Jefferson) and then there's Bicentennial Park. To one side of the building was very small patch of grass that I could walk The dog at…. until they start building whatever was roped off there, that was like $1635 and only had a Juliet balcony, which is not a balcony, and they had a built in desk, that thing probably couldn’t hold my laptop and a glass of water. Like why build that in there! They had a nice pool, nice gym, large common space office area for people, pet station to give dogs baths (I just throw her in my tub but it’s nice they’re pet friendly), pet park on the top of the roof supposedly are going to build a rooftop bar/lounge, but there go a lot of your top parking spots cause parking is not assigned, they had a trash shoot which was good though.

5.) Carillion -- right next to the minor league baseball stadium, had a restaurant bar across the street by the field where you can get food, play bags, etc, on the other side of the building is Bicentennial Park, well you have to walk across part of a parking lot to get to it, but I could walk The dog there and then there is a strip of grass that runs behind the ballfields to walk The dog. They had a little dog park at the complex, the gym is not too big and the yoga and spin bikes I wouldn’t use are on a diff floor, how are you supposed to hit on guys if they’re in two different locations? The common office spot was more like a little lounge so semi small, the pool wasn't too big, I didn’t even check and see if they had a hot tub which is always nice, they have unassigned parking, but supposedly have never had a problem with people not having spots, they have valet trash Sun -- Thurs which I hate but not a deal breaker, I just think it's trashy looking and smells or when your awesome neighbor makes something that smells awful. I will say the chic we met with was on her A game, told us the specials, no rent for one month, they waive the admin fee which is like $200 and waive the $50 application fee and security deposit is half off, so $100. But it’s on a busy street (Jefferson, near the hood) so I’m worried about noise and being safe, supposedly the pool area is quiet though and well it will be now with winter approaching.

Northeast Nashville:
The Duke: It’s in a business park area, which was fine, lots of grass around and tucked away in like a culdesac, but they’re still finishing up construction, grated it's gated, which is good, but I don't want my **** getting broken into, water and electric all individual which is good. It was tiny a bit and it had a patio, but it was like a patio that has a side door to the right of the living room, which one would think it would then be a big open window for the bedroom, nope it was just a small window view of the patio from the bedroom, and it wasn’t like an add on patio, it cut back and took up square footage of the bedroom which definitely doesn’t make sense, $1325 but I don't think it's good to be the guinea pig for a new complex.

12 South:
12 South Flats: seemed too busy, there weren’t many places to walk the dog.

Octave: The people weren’t the friendliest when we stopped off

East Nashville:
The Cleo: too concrete, busy and hood

Midtown:
Olympus Midtown: That is like the hood and way too concrete and city for me

Blah I think I’m too picky in life! Any help, advice and words of wisdom would be great!

Last edited by blondie2183; 11-13-2017 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: shortened info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 03:34 PM

4,358 posts, read 4,757,018 times
No matter where the apt. is within actual Nashville, I would never walk a dog at night. "Everyone" says that for a reason.

>>Well-lit at night too -- since walking dog, I’d really prefer not to have to walk around with mace like everyone has said at times<<

You will also have a very difficult time finding an apt. complex with a garage.

I cannot speak to Brentwood since I never go there.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 AM

320 posts, read 546,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie2183 View Post
. However….is Brentwood too far? Uber is basically $24 one way, do most people drive in to do stuff? Are there parking garages near downtown?
Have you ever even been to Nashville?

Old 11-18-2017, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Have you ever even been to Nashville?
Yes, I've been coming here every month for the past year and a half. Visiting though and deciding where to live are two totally different things unfortunately I have family in Franklin, best friend in Murfreesboro and numerous friends in Nashville. I'd prefer to live closer to the majority, that are living near Nashville since it would be my first year here and to meet more people. However some of the areas my friend's suggested are safe....have not appeared the safest when driving by, aka anything on Charlotte, Sylvan Park, etc. They are not well lit at night or trains that constantly pass by, or they have horrible reviews online. Any suggestions of places closer to Nashville that are similar to being Brentwood-ish? More grassy, open space, descent grocery stores, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville