Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 4,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Like the title says, I'm seeking a church to attend, one that has food options either after service, or once a week, whether it's a paid hot plate lunch, or a tip-friendly smorgasbord. Even coffee and donuts will due. I'm open to trying different churches to find my fit, so no lectures on looking for food, and I've always loved churches where generous folks provide a meal to patrons.

Bonus points if there is a young crowd (20's-30's), like myself. Often, you see the elderly and one young couple at church. I want to be around peers again, even support groups for depression. I can dress business casual.

I lean Christian in general, so willing to try different denominations.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,879,935 times
interesting topic, I heard that Catholic churches have a luncheon afterwards....

Old 06-15-2017, 05:45 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,761,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
interesting topic, I heard that Catholic churches have a luncheon afterwards....
I've never heard of a luncheon after Mass in the Catholic church.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM

359 posts, read 322,168 times
So you don't care what denomination, as long as at it's Christian "leaning", you get a free or cheap meal, and get to hang out with young folks?

Most folks go out to lunch or brunch after services.

I'm honestly curious why the food availability is at the top of your list, I've never heard of that being something important to a serious church goer. If you're only going because you are broke and want free/cheap food, that's quite disingenuous and it's not fair to try to pull a fast one on kind and generous folks. If you truly *are* interested in the sermon, teachings, the Bible, etc, that's cool - but I didn't get that vibe from your post at all.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,027,895 times
Honestly, I don't think you'll find many church's (if any - especially with a young crowd) where they have lunch provided EVERY week after the service. Sure there are special events where most church's will provide food after a service for an event or something of the like, but I've never heard of a church which consistently every week will provide their attenders with a lunch. That would have to be a church with quite a large budget or one where they take contributions from there members for such a thing (again, haven't ever heard of it).

Old 06-16-2017, 01:11 PM

306 posts, read 548,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSpartan View Post
Hello all,

Like the title says, I'm seeking a church to attend, one that has food options either after service, or once a week, whether it's a paid hot plate lunch, or a tip-friendly smorgasbord. Even coffee and donuts will due. I'm open to trying different churches to find my fit, so no lectures on looking for food, and I've always loved churches where generous folks provide a meal to patrons.

Bonus points if there is a young crowd (20's-30's), like myself. Often, you see the elderly and one young couple at church. I want to be around peers again, even support groups for depression. I can dress business casual.

I lean Christian in general, so willing to try different denominations.

Thank you.

Years ago when I was in college in the Nashville area, I attended a Seventh Day Adventist church and after each service they had a short bible study, after which they served a potluck lunch to all attendees. The atmosphere was very friendly, and the lady who did the bible study was very nice, and the food was good. Although I only attended for a few months, and I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist, I still remember them and how welcome most of them made me feel.

If I remember correctly, their service is on Saturdays, but I'm not positive. Maybe you'll find one in your area that serves food and has a good group of people.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM

374 posts, read 695,479 times
But note the Seventh Day Adventists are vegetarian. To what degree I have no idea.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,646,833 times
OP, I will keep my opinions to myself and try to be helpful.

If you are looking for free meals, start by googling the names of churches in your area and look up their Facebook pages.

Many churches have free dinners -- no questions asked -- on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings. Typically, these run from about 5 pm - 6:15 pm or so. Often, there will be a jar for freewill donations, and you should try to give them a buck or two (maybe made from returning found soda pop cans to the grocery!) But if you have no money, that's OK, too.

The Salvation Army also usually has some free meals during the week. Again, you'll need to check their website.

Be advised that some churches don't have web pages! So taking a longish walk around your area and looking for signs at the churches may also be helpful. For example, there is a "storefront" church in my area that has a small, handwritten sign saying that there are free meals for the community on Tuesday nights at 5 pm.

Back when my original church was in the business of helping the community instead of funding exotic foreign missionaries, I helped prepare and serve a number of these meals on Thursday nights. No questions were ever asked, no one was turned away.

Added: some churches that don't have a lot of funds offer "pot lucks" to the community. They assume some people will come empty-handed. I don't know of them turning anyone away.

I hope you find what you are truly seeking, OP.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 AM

216 posts, read 164,348 times
Join me at my church and I will buy you lunch.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 PM

1,683 posts, read 818,507 times
An increasing number of young adults say they don’t belong to a religion and that religion isn’t important to them. Have you considered an agnostic or atheist group to hang out with? Many of them read a book about the proverbial "flying spaghetti monster" and have a recitation known as the "pastafarian prayer" that has several mentions of Italian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville