Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 46,514 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Nashville (we currently live in NYC). In addition to some concerns about the pay cuts we'd have to take by making the move (I'm an attorney and my husband is a software engineer), I have a lot of misgivings about the ... racial harmony.

My husband is originally from Tunica, Mississippi, lived in Nashville previously and has family that currently lives in Nashville. Unfortunately, his family isn't a great resource for this topic. They are white and don't have any non-white friends so racism is pretty much not on the radar for them. Our situation is different because I'm black and we're concerned that our biracial children will be ostracized. "Mixed" couples are everywhere in New York and we've definitely noticed stares whenever we travel south.

So, how big of an issue will this be? Will we have trouble being embraced by our community? We're looking at buying a place in Belle Meade or Brentwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,082 times
This issue seems to come up frequently from people in NYC and California. There seems to be a belief that outside of the enlightened coasts that the rest of the country is all backwards, racist, neanderthals. If you are looking for stares, you're going to find them, whether real or imagined. I promise you, the difference (in terms of racial harmony) you feel there is between NYC and Nashville is much smaller in reality than it is in your mind.

There are places in and around Nashville that have racial mixes similar to NYC, specifically SE Nashville where the black-white mix is 50/50 in many places. There are, obviously, places that are much more white than that. The two places you have picked to possibly live are, in general, some of the whitest neighborhoods/suburbs in Nashville.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 AM

223 posts, read 582,914 times
I retired here from the Chicago area over 8 years ago. I believe I have seen more "mixed race" couples here than I ever saw up north. I don't think you'll have any issues here.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
This issue seems to come up frequently from people in NYC and California. There seems to be a belief that outside of the enlightened coasts that the rest of the country is all backwards, racist, neanderthals. If you are looking for stares, you're going to find them, whether real or imagined. I promise you, the difference (in terms of racial harmony) you feel there is between NYC and Nashville is much smaller in reality than it is in your mind.

There are places in and around Nashville that have racial mixes similar to NYC, specifically SE Nashville where the black-white mix is 50/50 in many places. There are, obviously, places that are much more white than that. The two places you have picked to possibly live are, in general, some of the whitest neighborhoods/suburbs in Nashville.
I actually grew up on the "enlightened" west coast in one of the most backward areas in Southern California. I'm not one of those people who believe racism only lives south of the Mason-Dixon line. My reticence about moving to Nashville stems from the fact that my husband failed to make any friends of color during his four years living in Nashville, the weird stares we've receive whenever we visit, and my experience from my childhood. I will never live in my hometown in California because of the racial disharmony I experienced growing up (and that still exists today). I simply asked about the current state in Nashville. I want to live somewhere where my kids will be accepted not grudgingly tolerated.

A 50/50 mix doesn't really give me much information about an area. My husband grew up in a predominately black area and everyone kept to themselves.

Belle Meade and Brentwood are areas we're considering because of the high quality of housing stock, schools, proximity to downtown and large lot sizes (> 1 acre). I've also been told commuting traffic isn't as bad.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post
I retired here from the Chicago area over 8 years ago. I believe I have seen more "mixed race" couples here than I ever saw up north. I don't think you'll have any issues here.
I would probably disagree, thinking about the likely circles that the original poster and her husband would fall into. And OPer - I would seriously find out what salary you would be making here because I think the salary differentials will unpleasantly surprise you.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
And OPer - I would seriously find out what salary you would be making here because I think the salary differentials will unpleasantly surprise you.
From what little salary data I've been able to scrape up, it looks pretty bad. As a third year associate in NY, my base salary is 210k. From what I've read, I'll be lucky to get 125k. If anyone has any knowledge of attorney salaries in the few large firms in Nashville, please send it my way.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalalchemy View Post
From what little salary data I've been able to scrape up, it looks pretty bad. As a third year associate in NY, my base salary is 210k. From what I've read, I'll be lucky to get 125k. If anyone has any knowledge of attorney salaries in the few large firms in Nashville, please send it my way.
My friend who used to work at the largest firm here thinks $145 all in might be it (she left about 2 years ago). The other issue is actually finding a position. I know that a lot of people are on the temp/contract/doc review track here.

One other thing to consider - do you have rent control? Housing is much more expensive here than people realize.

Last edited by N.Cal; 03-13-2017 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: salary info confirmed

Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM

34,018 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post

Ditto.

Lived near Nashville 17 years. Tolerant region.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalalchemy View Post
You'll save a ton of money on taxes, and quite a bit of money on housing. Of course, it's not all about money either. If you love NYC life then you will likely be unhappy here. Likewise, if you are sick of NYC life want to stretch out a little bit then you'll probably like it here even if you make less money.

In terms of taxes (ignoring any deductions):
NYC income of $210,000 ($17,500 per month) will result in a take home of $133,363 ($11,113/month).

Nashville income of $125,000 ($10,416 per month) will result in a take home of ~$90,898 ($7575/month)
Nashville income using N.Cal's $145,000 ($12,083 per month) will result in a take home of $105,008 ($8750/month).

You should be able to decrease your total tax burden in both places with 401k contributions and other deductions, but they should track fairly closely in either place. Comparing $11,113 per month in NYC vs $7575 or $8750 per month in Nashville seems a lot less significant than looking at gross incomes on a yearly or monthly basis. I'm sure you know NYC rents better than I do, but I think it is safe to say that you will be facing rents of $3500-$4000 in Manhattan for a 1BR. In Nashville the 1BR apartments downtown will run you ~$1750-2000/month and $1250-1750/month in desirable neighborhoods outside downtown/Gulch. I think it is safe to say that you will spend an additional $2000 per month in NYC as compared to Nashville for rentals.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM

Next year I'll be making over 235k + bonus > 50k

We're actually spending $2,300 on a large two bedroom apartment in Manhattan (rent stabilized) with a doorman and a beautiful rooftop a few blocks away from Central Park. We have an amazing deal on our apartment which is also making this decision difficult. I love living in NYC but my husband (really) hates not having any real sense of privacy. Nashville is on the table for his sanity and because we'd be within an hour from all of his family.

Money is definitely not everything but there is a point where the reduction of quality of life isn't worth it. From what I've determined, our monthly expenses will increase by moving to Nashville. There will be a car purchase(s) + related expenses, house purchase + related expenses, etc. There is also the possibility that we'd have to spring for private school. Our kids currently attend a public school for the academically gifted.

I appreciate everyone who commented. It's looking like buying a cabin upstate for my husband to get out of the city makes more sense than relocating to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville