Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times

Advertisements

Howdy y'all... NYer here, coming to Nashville for 4 days next month.

Can someone recommend some must-do's, good eats and a good spot to catch a country band @ night?

Also may or may not take a drive to Memphis as well. We wil have a rental car. Memphis worth seeing as well in that short period of time? Hotel base would be Nashville so if we did Memphis it would be for the day & not stay overnight... but we could have dinner there and then head back to Nashville after.

Pointers & tips please

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 05:25 AM

337 posts, read 450,323 times
For the short time you are here, I don't think I would spend the 6-7 hours driving back and forth to Memphis. Not because Memphis isn't worth it, but there is enough to do in and around the Nashville area that you could fill your days/nights within an hour circle of your hotel.

I enjoyed the Jack Daniels Distillery free tour in Lynchburg if you are thinking of something for an hour ish drive. I enjoyed the Johnny Cash and George Jones museums. I did tour a few Civil War homes that were turned into field hospitals and had lots of amazing stories. They are scattered within the area. There is a lot to do and can also check the event schedule for the TPAC and Bridgestone Arena as there maybe something going on one of the nights you are here that interest you.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
For the short time you are here, I don't think I would spend the 6-7 hours driving back and forth to Memphis. Not because Memphis isn't worth it, but there is enough to do in and around the Nashville area that you could fill your days/nights within an hour circle of your hotel.
I agree completely. I grew up in Memphis and would recommend a visit to anyone, but not in this case for the reasons JJAF mentioned.

In addition to his great suggestions, I would say a drive to Franklin would be worth it. Kimbrough's Pickin Parlor has good live music, and Franklin has a town square that has good retail and restaurant choices.

Kimbros Pickin Parlor

Downtown Franklin TN - America

In Nashville, it's always fun to just go up and down Broadway on a weekend night and squeeze into some of the honky tonks there. You'll hear lots of live music; whether or not it's the "best" is debatable. Check the schedule of the Bluebird Cafe to see who's playing while you're here, for truly talented performances. For a unique entertainment option, you could check out a burlesque show at Skulls Rainbow Room in Printers Alley downtown, a reboot of a historic old haunt from Nashville's original days.

Skull's Rainbow Room - Skull's Rainbow Room

I read somewhere the other day that almost 500 restaurants have opened up in Nashville since 2010. I would just get on Yelp and TripAdvisor, sort and scan the reviews and choose something that matches your personal tastes. If you wanted to have a truly Nashville thing, I guess that's hot chicken. The original most authentic version can be found at Prince's and Bolton's. The more sanitized, tourist-friendly version is found at places like Hattie B's, Pepperfire, etc.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:32 AM

107 posts, read 186,557 times
Plenty to do here without going on a boring, day killing drive to Memphis. If it's over a weekend you should get tickets for the Opry. A trip to the Parthenon is always good to load up on some culture. Be sure to check the Chamber of Commerce site and see if there are any festivals going on- probably not if it's March. Lots of stuff to do here over 4 days.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,340,832 times
For 4 days catch an Opry show, see who may be playing the Ryman. Get backstage tour of Opry & tour the new Ryman. Go to Visitors & Convention bureau to get discount tickets to area attractions. You have the Country Hall of Fame, Johnny Cash, George Jones to choose from. Try a mansion from Old Hickory or Belle Meade. Try Civil War history at Ft Negley, Franklin battlefield, Stones River. Visit the Parthenon, go in side for Athena, see NC&STL #576 steam engine before it gets moved out of Centennial Park. Go shopping Green Hills, Opry Mills, Cool Springs. If it is a warm day maybe try the Nashville Zoo but a lot of it is under construction. With any children try the Adventure Science Center & do a sky planetarium show.

Memphis is 200+ miles away. You do need to eat, sleep, relax.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,486,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Howdy y'all... NYer here, coming to Nashville for 4 days next month.

Can someone recommend some must-do's, good eats and a good spot to catch a country band @ night?

Also may or may not take a drive to Memphis as well. We wil have a rental car. Memphis worth seeing as well in that short period of time? Hotel base would be Nashville so if we did Memphis it would be for the day & not stay overnight... but we could have dinner there and then head back to Nashville after.

Pointers & tips please

Thanks in advance!
Nashville and Memphis are big Cities in there own right and are a good distance from each other. I'm from the Atlanta area but have been to both quite often. Plenty to do in both but like other posters have stated, not a good ideal to do these in one trip. This should really be done on separate trips..

Old 02-08-2017, 10:17 AM

216 posts, read 163,716 times
For the best southern food in Nashville for breakfast or lunch is Monell's in Germantown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville