Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM

44 posts, read 105,733 times

Advertisements

Been checking out different areas in TN for years, searching for just the right place to retire...only 2 years left! We've been to East TN (too hilly for us), been to Nashville (love it), Murfreesboro (love that area too). But those areas seem to be going up in price a lot lately so we are now considering Clarksville and surrounding areas. My husband will be retired and I will most likely get my real estate license wherever we end up (licensed now in IL/WI for 10 yrs). We are looking for mostly flat land...or gently rolling. Would like some acreage...minimum of 2. We prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of a city and close neighbors. 20-30 mins to shopping for food and household goods (walmart, target, etc) would be perfect. We want to try our hand at raising a few chickens, possibly a goat or two and having a large garden. My hubby wants a work shop (pole barn). I've seen some properties that seem like crazy good deals in Clarksville so am wondering what is wrong with the area (or the house) that a great house on 5 acres is only $113k? Or is it just that inexpensive there? Seems like every city has it's areas that are less desirable or less safe, so if someone can let me know which areas to consider or to stay away from, that would be helpful. We have only driven through Clarksville on our way to Nashville and are planning a trip soon to look around but any info would be helpful. Our budget for a house is $200k or less. We don't need anything fancy or huge just a house that is sturdy and less than 50 yrs old on at least 2 acres. A pond or creek on the property would be a bonus. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,513,947 times
Clarksville has been growing fast. I believe the population should be around 165,000 by 2020. Lots of young families and retirees due to Ft. Campbell based just to the north. The city has a midsize state university Austin Peay, and sits on the Cumberland river. Perhaps the best way to describe C'ville is that it's a slice of middle America. Access to Nashville is good. Lifestyle is generally relaxed and c.o.l. is low/moderate. No state income taxes, and if you're a military vet, you can get access to the BX at Campbell. Also, there are a few rough commercial areas, especially on the north/northwest end of town (due to proximity to the base), but overall crime is low. The downtown is a bit weak, but does contain several beautiful prominent buildings dating from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Its suburbs are sprawling, especially to the east toward I-24. Lately city leaders have made efforts to clean up and invest in downtown. A good place to start your research www.leaf-chronicle.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville