Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 12:47 PM

31 posts, read 36,629 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently a second semester junior at a public university in Illinois. I will graduate in the Spring of 2018 with an Adult & Community Education degree with a Spanish minor and Latin American Studies minor (it was only two more classes). I know mentioning my student loan burden is important to include in terms of budgeting, ect. That said, I will have approximately $35,000 is student loans once I graduate.

That said, my degree is very human service-oriented. Anticipated job placement ranges from non-profits (not on the top of my list), workforce development, student success centers at college/universities, and community efforts for non-English speaking individuals (hence, my chosen minors). My take-home income will probably be around the same as my student loans, which isn't not great. However, that's also based off central Illinois economy and cost of living.

I have done previous research and I know that Nashville is somewhat cheaper than other cities its size. Does that hold true for those of you more familiar with the area? If it's not and it is too expensive, I'll find another option. I think that's a pretty simple formula for success.

1. Where could a human services worker live relatively comfortable if I had a spouse or a few roommates? I mentioned my anticipated income. I do plan to get a second job for nights and weekends to supplement my income. Are there any cheaper suburbs that you'd suggest, 20-30 minutes away? I don't really plan on living in the thick of the city by any means (even though it would be cool).

2. What's the weather like? I've heard it's pretty humid in summer but what about winter? Does it balance out at all?

3. I know that Nashville is roughly 10% Hispanic. That's a decent percentage that coincides well enough with my degree. However, is Nashville's human services sector well-funded/supported? I know in Illinois, human services are constantly facing budget cuts.

4. Is Nashville easily adaptable? I mean that in the most literal sense. I come from a small farming town of 4,400 people. After getting my feet wet, some experience and know-how, is Nashville is a pretty easy place to commute in? Driving vs. public transportation, specifically.

5. This really is not as important to others as it is to me, but what's the music scene like? I know Nashville is known for being really country (I don't mean that with any negative connotation) but it can't all be country. I'm an avid concert goer and I know that Nashville is a must-stop for a lot of acts. That said, what are some of the cooler record stores, venues, and bars that support music (local acts and up-and-coming acts specifically)? What are some of your favorites?

6. I've heard that Nashville has a cool microbreweries "scene" which is a really cool. However, what is their local business, restaurant, and retail "vibe" like? Plenty of options? I imagine there are being so big but that's why I ask!

7. Lastly, this isn't specific just to Nashville, but what colleges/universities are close by? Graduate school is a definite possibility, and I know Vanderbilt and Belmont are actually in Nashville but are there any other options? Preferably less expensive than two private schools?

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. If you have any more information, suggestions, hints, tips, or fun facts, please let me know! I genuinely appreciate your help! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 01:40 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
Quote:
I have done previous research and I know that Nashville is somewhat cheaper than other cities its size.

What cities are you comparing it to and where did this research come from?

Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 PM

31 posts, read 36,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
What cities are you comparing it to and where did this research come from?
Hello,

Compared to a lot of the coastal cities (Boston, Portland, Seattle) of the same size, Nashville appeared to be more reasonable in terms of cost of living. Even Denver has been explained, to me at least, as somewhat expensive.

Thanks for your time!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:13 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenlamb45 View Post
Hello,

Compared to a lot of the coastal cities (Boston, Portland, Seattle) of the same size, Nashville appeared to be more reasonable in terms of cost of living. Even Denver has been explained, to me at least, as somewhat expensive.

Thanks for your time!
You can't compare Nashville to BPS and not even Denver really. More like Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham. Austin is more expensive, but Nashville is quickly catching up.

1. Unanswerable without a budget number.

2. Hot and humid to very cold with ice storms and everything in-between.

3. IMO, human services are definitely not a priority of the state of Tennessee.

4. Public transportation is nearly nonexistent.

5. All kinds of music. Singer-songwriter heaven. Music | Nashville Scene is a good source.

6. Your Complete Guide to Nashville's Breweries or
http://nashville.eater.com/maps/best...ies-craft-beer

7. Google is your friend. https://www.google.com/#q=nashville+...versities+list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville