Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM

35 posts, read 224,775 times

Advertisements

First of all, condolences for your loss. It must be very hard.

Nashville is approximately 25 percent African-American. Even so, there are still neighborhoods where white people look at resident blacks as if they are aliens. Quite unforunate, unprogressive and downright ignorant, for sure.

However, there are African-Americans in many upwardly mobile parts of town, including Brentwood, but also Bellevue, West Meade, Franklin and other areas as well. You might want to add some of those areas to the realm of consideration as well.

As for schools, Metro has a very poor reputation right now. Depending on which side of Brentwood you live in, you could potentially be zoned for Metro (if you're on the Nipper's Corner/Antioch side of Brentwood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 AM

13 posts, read 46,943 times
I don't believe the color of your skin will be a factor in whether you'll feel welcomed in Brentwood. (I can't say the same about the size of your wallet!)

Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Agree with ShiningStar! We just moved from Brentwood (to Portland, OR) and had no issues with diversity in Brentwood. Our children were adopted and are Asian and we never had a rude comment from someone in Brentwood. I think you'll find that people in Brentwood are very educated and tend not to have ignorant views, although they may be conservative politically, they aren't racist. Our street was actually very diverse and included an African-American family, Asian families, a Latino family and a South Asian (East Indian) family.

That said, there isn't a minority population in Brentwood but that doesn't mean that
people won't be welcoming.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 AM

317 posts, read 1,231,334 times
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I just can't even imagine what this road has been like for you and your family.
I live in Brentwood and would be honored to have you as a neighbor and I really do believe you will be welcomed here. It's funny, but I last lived in Ohio before coming to Nashville...too cold for me, but grew up most of my life around the Memphis area too. There are so many things I love about Memphis and then some things that I can live without. I miss the blues and the soul historic culture, and I had such high hopes for all the racial tension to be alleviated some day. Alas, it doesn't seem it has but Nashville is not the same as Memphis in that regard.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

156 posts, read 609,881 times
[quote=Wild Style;2914387]I am black as well and have a family home in Nashville area. Brentwood is beautiful but I didn't find the people that welcoming or friendly there. -----

Wild Style & Vautorslo - I'm WHITE and didn't find the people always all that welcoming (with exceptions, of course, and they were wonderful exceptions). It was more a class thing, though, my best guess.

Vautorslo -
The noveau riche crowd is everywhere, so that's what you'll see [in Brentwood]. I actually find, however, that (and I've lived in too many places) that cities are becoming more and more "even", as far as friendliness and all that goes. It's almost as if we can barely say any more "oh that's a friendly part of the country". Know what I mean? It's why I seek out the much older crowd (older than old baby-boomers) and the mature millenialists, as I'm an old soul anyway. But, really, if you get tired of the close-up crowd that moves by their ego fluctuations (and that sickens me, too), well, you will notice it in Brentwood a great deal. It's been a decade since I was there, so am sure it hasn't changed. There are creative ways around it ....
Belle Meade has the "old money" crowd, and I've always thought and noticed they are more educated in their judgements about ethnicity. They were definitely kinder to me. Yet, I'm a non-Southerner who's traveled a lot, so s.times am oblivious to petty people who hide their racism. Am I helping with any of this?
My sympathies for your loss. I can't imagine what you have been feeling. I lost my dad when a kid, so kinda understand, but not really. Those men serving and who did serve are the best. I wish you & your family great blessing and all the best.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 61,736 times
I appreciate everyone's honest opinion as it will help in my decision. Thank you all so much.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 PM

15 posts, read 50,792 times
Brentwood is very nice, but more expensive than some of the other areas (Bellevue, Mt Juliet, Hendersonville). I would stay out of Davidson Co (Nashville Proper) or your kids may be bused to who knows where.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:39 PM

177 posts, read 614,047 times
First...let me say how sorry I am for your loss. My deepest sympathies and condolences to you and your family.

I am African American. I work in the Cool Springs area just outside of Brentwood. I live in Murfreesboro. I personally find Brentwood to be less progressive, as far as diversity, than Nashville and some cities in other surrounding counties. Being from Murfreesboro, I'm very use to diversity. I don't feel Williamson County has it. I too get the "constant" stares every time I leave the office from people like "What are you doing here?" Just last night at Panera Bread, my fiancé and I are looked at by the othe rpatrons like..."Please don't sit here". One man actually got up after we sat down. I can't wait to get out of there every day. Love my job and the people I work with...just the nature of the area I don't like.

Brentwood (WIlliamson County) is wealth. Some may or may not admit it, but it is. And you know what usually comes with that. It's a very conservative area. I respect their right to mold their city in a way that appeals to them. That's why I choose not to live there. I would suggest checking it out first. If your concern is living in an area with high-income people, in a large house...then this may be the place for you. But personally, I wouldn't recommend it for African Americans. There are MANY other surrounding areas with good schools, and MUCH cheaper homes in safe areas. Quick plug...you might consider Murfreesboro, many areas in Nashville you might consider. Ultimately the choice is yours...but this is just my two cents. God Bless you in whatever decision you make... :-)

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,006 times
Default Moving to Brentwood

I am a transplant to TN and Brentwood was my only choice. I am a divorced woman with a child in college and a supportive ex-husband.

I must say that no matter where you go, you may have problems if you use your race as a determining factor in how/where you live.

I am multiracial and have not had any conflicts since race is not a deciding factor in how I live my life. I live in an area with no other multiracial persons and I'm fine. The people have been very nice and although I dating wasn't a part of my initial plans, I admit that I am asked out alot. I've made new friends since I didn't know anyone in TN prior to my move. I just wanted a new start.

Be bold, step out on faith and live beyond race. You'll see the true beauty in life (and people) when you do that.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:14 PM

252 posts, read 390,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful21 View Post
I am a transplant to TN and Brentwood was my only choice. I am a divorced woman with a child in college and a supportive ex-husband.

I must say that no matter where you go, you may have problems if you use your race as a determining factor in how/where you live.

I am multiracial and have not had any conflicts since race is not a deciding factor in how I live my life. I live in an area with no other multiracial persons and I'm fine. The people have been very nice and although I dating wasn't a part of my initial plans, I admit that I am asked out alot. I've made new friends since I didn't know anyone in TN prior to my move. I just wanted a new start.

Be bold, step out on faith and live beyond race. You'll see the true beauty in life (and people) when you do that.
Amen!
.................................................. .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville