Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 23,657 times

Advertisements

Hi
What type of place would you say Carthage Tn.( Brush Creek area ) things like Crime - People - Things to do ( we have a 10 Year old ) Thanks for any info.
Have a good one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM

16 posts, read 90,286 times
We just moved to Carthage last summer and we really like it (we're actually outside the city limits in the Defeated Creek area).

As far as crime goes, I feel it's a pretty safe area. The people we bought our house from told us they had to search for the keys for us because they hadn't locked the doors in 12 years. We lock our doors of course, no need to tempt fate but it's nice to live in an area where it's more a precaution than a neccessity. My neighbor said the main crime around here is due to Meth. It seems to be a problem in most rural areas though. With your son when he is a little older you would just have to be sure to talk to him about the dangers of it and make sure he isn't hanging out with the wrong crowd. In the nine months we've lived here I've never felt unsafe. My husband has to travel for his work and I've never been scared in our house which is definitely something I couldn't say when we lived in Memphis.

As for things to do, if you're looking for bars, major shopping, movie theaters, or bowling alleys you're not going to find that here. However, if you enjoy the outdoors you'll love it. I have 16 acres and I only have to walk out my door to go for a nice hike. Even in the winter there's plenty of days when it's nice enough to be outside. We also fish a lot since Cordell Hull Lake is right here as well as tons of creeks. The lake also has great hiking trails, beaches, and a marina, where you can rent boats. Boating is really popular and if you live here and can afford it you'll definitely get a lot of use out of one in the summers. For the kids there's a huge sports complex with a gigantic playground (the biggest I've ever seen) which apparently cost hundreds of thousands to build. My nephew's eye nearly fell out the first time he saw it. 4-H seems to be popular with the kids here also.

There is a decent amount of shopping in town, there's two grocery stores, plus a sav a lot, and a new super walmart. There are several banks but no nationwide banks like Wachovia or Bank of America. The old main street is cute, not many too many stores but neat historic look. There are several hardware stores and between them there really isn't much need to go to a home depot/lowes. There are a number of restaurants, most mom and pop type places, with the only chains being fast food. Our favorite restaurant is the mexican one, they have great food at great prices. For major shopping (big chain stores), movie theaters, and chain restaurants (Outback, O'charley's, etc) you have to go to Lebanon, Mt. Juliet, or Cookeville which from downtown Carthage are 30 to 45 minutes away.

The downside is the school system isn't rated the highest, neither is it the worst but if you want better schools the Cookeville area would be better.

If you have any more question, let me know

Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 PM

64 posts, read 129,201 times
This post answered a lot of questions for me anyways. We are moving here very soon. Just bought a house. Why is the website for Carthage so misleading ? It had me very concerned about crime .
Once again thankyou very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville