Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM

222 posts, read 638,844 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this high school? I've read the test scores from the state and the ratings on greatschools.net, but I'm really interested to hear what people have to say about it. I mean those who have children who attend or know teachers who work there (anything really).

Thanks for any and all info--both the good and the bad are appreciated.

Last edited by skyblueNashville; 02-20-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Might not be what you're looking for, but since no one else has responded...

My buddy subs there a lot and says there are a lot of classroom management issues. However, keeping in mind that students will often act differently with a sub.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Thank you, I appreciate the reply. We have a daughter in eighth grade, and we're zoned for Overton. I just wanted to get an idea from others about how the school is.
Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:07 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueNashville View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this high school? I've read the test scores from the state and the ratings on greatschools.net, but I'm really interested to hear what people have to say about it. I mean those who have children who attend or know teachers who work there (anything really).

Outside the magnet schools, it's one of the better Nashville public high schools. I graduated from Overton about nine years ago though. The teachers who taught AP and honors courses at that time were pretty good with a few being exceptional. Some are still teaching there.

There was definitely a broad spectrum of students when I was there. The exceptional students were mostly in AP classes together. Other good students mainly took honors courses. Of course, there was a bit of riff-raff but that's to be expected.

My uncle still works there and he says the school's administration went through a rough patch a few years ago but improved again after a new principal (former Overton teacher) took over.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueNashville View Post

My Daughter graduated from John Overton last May. She is now a Student at MTSU in Murfreesboro. She only went there a year since we moved there at the start of her senior year.
If your child takes the honors or AP classes they will be fine. The school is very diverse and you will find many that are from other countries.
It is one of the better metro high schools. It's in a very nice area of town. We were not that close to it, because we live right over the Brentwood Border, so bus ride was long.
Diane G

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Might not be what you're looking for, but since no one else has responded...

My buddy subs there a lot and says there are a lot of classroom management issues. However, keeping in mind that students will often act differently with a sub.
Subs, where ever you are always have some students that will act up. I had a friend that is a sub where I use to live. The ones she had the most problems with were Rich Spoiled Brats. They said their parents could buy the school. As I said before as long as they are in Honors or AP , they won't have a problem.
Diane G

Old 02-22-2008, 06:31 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My Daughter graduated from John Overton last May. She is now a Student at MTSU in Murfreesboro. She only went there a year since we moved there at the start of her senior year.
If your child takes the honors or AP classes they will be fine. The school is very diverse and you will find many that are from other countries.
It is one of the better metro high schools. It's in a very nice area of town. We were not that close to it, because we live right over the Brentwood Border, so bus ride was long.
Diane G
You made your daughter ride the bus as a senior??? That is brutal!!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 AM

Thank you very much for all of these responses. I'm really glad to hear that you all seem to feel the school is a pretty good one. Our daughter applied for Hume-Fogg, but she's way down near the bottom of the wait list, so it's highly unlikely she'll get in. We live near the edge of the county too, so she's looking at a long bus/car ride also. It's the 7:15 start time that seems brutal to me!
Thanks again! I'm fairly new to this forum and have really enjoyed how much info is on here. It's all much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
You made your daughter ride the bus as a senior??? That is brutal!!!!!
She did not get her Drivers Licence until after we moved here. You had to be 17 where we used to live, and she just turned that the month before we moved here. The parking at the school was crazy, easier taking the bus even though it was before 7am which was brutial.

Diane

Old 08-23-2008, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,241 times
Hello, I actually attended Overton High and Graduated in 2003, Ap classes is the way to go, they really get you prepared for college courses. A lot of the faculty that is there now were some of my mother's teacher's as well so they don't swap out teachers like some of the other metro schools. Overton has a very high standardized test rate and a letter grade of "C" is a letter grade of "A" at other metro-davidson county schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville