Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM

15 posts, read 17,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Hey aplusk... Making the same move early next year from Chicago (la grange)... Also plan to search Franklin/Brentwood. May be opening a business, so depending on where it's located is where we'll buy or rent. Very excited to #leaveillinois!

Taco1234, good luck on your adventures in Nashville area. I see only good things for us down south #leaveillinois
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:21 AM

First time home buyer here, is 6 months ample time to search and close on a home in Brentwood/Franklin area or am I just undermining the time it takes. Leaning towards new constructions and then something relatively new 2015/2014. I know I am not going into more specifics but is that a good amount of time in general?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:27 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
I had a general idea of the area I wanted to live in and had done some searching every couple of months (flying down from CT) but when my Mom's condo sold, and we had a 5 week closing, I flew down and my realtor showed me a house and that was that. My Mom sold her condo on a Wednesday and closed on this house on Friday. Five weeks.

Get a good realtor to show you around. Not sure about new construction, I mean, how long it's taking to build a house theses days. My theory is the more money you are planning to spend and the less picky you are, the quicker it will go. Real estate here is pretty 'hot' and there's not a lot on the market . . . but it's not impossible.

Are you using RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder Easy to look long distance these days!

Old 08-04-2016, 01:36 PM

CountryGirl2b=, you are right, flexibility is what's needed. I haven't been tracking on RealTracs, so big thanks for the link!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:50 AM

71 posts, read 74,212 times
Minimum closing time frame around here is usually at 30 days. That said, it's pretty rare to go beyond 45. Because the market is moving so fast lately, offers of a 60 day time frame are rare since they aren't as strong (hmm... not *perceived* as strong).

Realtracs is the best place to look for sure, it's our local MLS, so it's straight from the source. The others tend to show properties as active when they actually aren't.

Keep in mind, if you do a 6 month lease....1) you'll be paying a higher rent rate, and 2) That will put you into winter, when there are less options on the market. Sometimes that can be a good thing (save $$), but that's not even true here the past two winters.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:50 PM

Great advice, @HaleyinNashville.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:35 PM

627 posts, read 1,848,630 times
We did that move in 2008. We were on the Aurora / Naperville border and moved to Franklin. We rented a house and looked for a home once settled. That way we could look at all the neighborhoods at our leisure, rather than rushing into a decision.

I recommend just renting when you first move down. You have nothing tying you to anything and no kids to worry about. Just find an apartment for 12 months and then use that to find your home. Apartments in Nashville/Franklin are reproducing like rabbits these days so finding one won't be a problem. Finding a home from afar might be a problem, as the Nashville market is so hot properly priced houses sell mere days into their listings.

It's been 8 years since we left Chicago and when we moved traffic down here was nothing. Over the last 3 years it is getting pretty bad. That being said, having to go downtown only a couple days a week gives you a wide array of choices, be it Hendersonville, Brentwood, Franklin, Mt. Juliet. If you're used to Chicago traffic, you can get used to Nashville traffic. For example, today they shut down the southern loop of I65/I40 for 20 minutes due to a wreck, and it took me a total of 60 minutes to travel 34 miles home. Not ideal, but not awful.

Downtown Franklin is roughly similar to downtown Naperville, just smaller in scope. We love it.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 PM

@Big TR, This is great perspective coming from someone who has been in and moved into the same area.

We plan to start with an apartment and eventually look for a home. I agree on traffic, being a frequent visitor to Nashville for 10 years now I did see how the traffic went from that to where it is now.

On a side note, the obnoxious Packers fan will be in Titan country soon.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:51 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,882,100 times
I miss living in Brentwood. If you afford it Brentwood rocks. I just miss Nashville in general.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplusk View Post

On a side note, the obnoxious Packers fan will be in Titan country soon.
Sorry to burst your bubble but there are two huge Packers fan clubs in the Nashville area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville