Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,916 times

Advertisements

I think there is a misconception about the percentage of the TN's population that regularly attends church. I don't think the majority of us go, it's just people that do go and really into won't stop talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Smile staywarm2

Are there many mega churches in Nashville? Are the Baptists the biggest denomination?

Thanks for all your posts!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Are there many mega churches in Nashville? Are the Baptists the biggest denomination?

There are quite a few very large churches in the greater Nashville area.

I'm not sure, but Baptists are probably the largest group, but other demoninations and religions are well represented as well. There's a large Hindu temple out in my neighborhood in Bellevue; looks like it came straight from Calcutta because the workmen who built it were brought over from India I believe.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:

Yes, there are quite a few. My church is a Mega Church, 6400 people, Brentwood United Methodist Church.
I think there are some baptist chuches that are bigger. I know there is a good sized Presbyterian Church on Franklin Rd, but I don't know the numbers.

Diane G

D

Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM

279 posts, read 782,415 times
is first baptist church in hendersonviille considered a mega one? also heard thats where the celebs go to church at, but dunno

Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 46,916 times
We had been warned before moving to Nashville that it was the "buckle of the bible belt" but honestly we felt much more religious pressure in the Dallas area than we have here (things like my five-year-old daughter being told she was going to hell or having a classmate offer to give up her allowance to get my poor heathen children a Bible).

We've been pleasantly surprised since we've been here and although we have attended church three times (Unitarian Universalist on Woodmont), only DH has been actually questioned (by a Baptist minister while playing golf).

Welcome!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
My spouse and I are considering a move to Nashville. We are not particularly religious; we attend church sometimes, mostly at the Unity church. Will people in Nashville be aghast at that or try to push their religion down our throats? Will they still be friendly if they learn we don't attend religious services? We are very open to others having their own religious beliefs, but we don't want their religion shoved on us.

Thanks for any input
I have a family member in Nashville who is a non Christian. This family member says they have not been discriminated against however, people do make it a point to ask you what church you go to (this family members words, not mine). This person said only once did they feel a co worker wanted to "bring the word of Jesus" to them. They said to the Christian person "please respect my religious beliefs as I respect yours" and after that it was smooth sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningStar View Post
We had been warned before moving to Nashville that it was the "buckle of the bible belt" but honestly we felt much more religious pressure in the Dallas area than we have here (things like my five-year-old daughter being told she was going to hell or having a classmate offer to give up her allowance to get my poor heathen children a Bible).

We've been pleasantly surprised since we've been here and although we have attended church three times (Unitarian Universalist on Woodmont), only DH has been actually questioned (by a Baptist minister while playing golf).

Welcome!
when i lived in Dallas I never felt any pressure from the Christians. I did find it a little "different" that all the malls have a Christian store(s) section. Like the Galleria mall and I think the fourth/fifth floor with all the Christian trinket shops.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
staywarm2, Thanks for a great laugh. They won't care.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I'm an atheist and only go to church for weddings and funerals and I don't think most people care one way or another unless you try to force your point of view on them. I did go to Home Depot a week ago on Sunday and there wasn't much of a crowd. I asked the guy who mixed some paint for me why it was so slow and he said everybody was in church and in an hour or so the place would be packed. It's true it's a religious part of the country but I don't think that should be an issue or problem for anyone.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 17,734 times
The problem my wife and I have had is that their are so many people who's social life revolves around church (ours does not) that there is no one left to make friends with. I think some of that is where I live though since the suburbs are really into the church scene (Hendersonville). We are considering moving to a more liberal area if it exists around Nashville? Besides this though we really enjoy the Nashville area and I agree Sunday mornings are a great time to go shopping......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville