Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM

65 posts, read 192,000 times

Advertisements

We're considering a relocation and I'm wanting to know what the illegal immigrant situation is in the Nashville area. ie. are schools overcrowded due to this? Do many schools have a high percentage of ESL students? Are most homes built by illegals (the cement work, siding, landscaping, etc.)? Lots of drunk driving by illegals? Lots of Spanish being spoken while out in public? Businesses with signs in Spanish? All of these things are big problems in our area and we are looking for a change. Please pm me if you would like. Thanks so much.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 50,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom05 View Post
We're considering a relocation and I'm wanting to know what the illegal immigrant situation is in the Nashville area. ie. are schools overcrowded due to this? Do many schools have a high percentage of ESL students? Are most homes built by illegals (the cement work, siding, landscaping, etc.)? Lots of drunk driving by illegals? Lots of Spanish being spoken while out in public? Businesses with signs in Spanish? All of these things are big problems in our area and we are looking for a change. Please pm me if you would like. Thanks so much.
wow, I mean, wow, that's all I can say. wow.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM

131 posts, read 577,623 times
Coming from Arizona (Yuma Co) I fully understand why you're asking this and I don't think it stems from racism. It was difficult to get someone english speaking in a store to help. Yuma could at times be quite scary because of gangs. A lot of burglaries & robberies due to the illegals traveling through. A lot of drugs due to the illegals traveling through. A lot of car thefts where the cars undoubtedly ended up across the boarder and painted a new color before the owners even knew they were gone. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

mattsmom......I don't know about Nashville but I haven't heard of any "illegal" related crime here in Hendersonville. I also have met a number of Mexicans here that I am proud to call my friends.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 PM

65 posts, read 192,000 times
Thank you Lake.lady. It's hard to get a feel for an area without spending some time there.

kilted - do you care to expand on your 'wow'? What is wrong with these questions? Right now we are in an area where the illegal immigrant population is causing school overcrowding, a huge tax burden, change in culture, many drunk driving incidences... We are considering moving to a state that is starting to pass legislation against knowingly hiring them, and removal of social services. There is nothing wrong with that. It is not about 'race'.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Yes, it is a growing problem in Nashville, especially South Nashville around Nolensville Road/Thompson Lane/Harding Place. Nowhere near as bad at this point as Arizona or California, but we'll be there before you know it if something isn't done and done fast.

The way I see it, those of us that are serious about righting this problem with illegal immigrants have three candidates in the upcoming election: Fred Thompson, Duncan Hunter, and Mitt Romney.

Also, for the first person who responded to the OP and implied racism, I challenge you to go rent an apartment off Linbar Drive, where I spent my first year in Nashville. Just because a problem is "politically incorrect" to discuss in public doesn't make it any less real.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:41 PM

153 posts, read 526,261 times
Default don't worry

Quote:
I think the many murders, muggings, vehicular homicides are committed by legals. You should feel very safe here.

However, all the construction workers are unionized, so you won't be able to afford any work done. Most people speak in the native Cherokee when in public.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 50,156 times
Quote:
kilted - do you care to expand on your 'wow'? What is wrong with these questions? Right now we are in an area where the illegal immigrant population is causing school overcrowding, a huge tax burden, change in culture, many drunk driving incidences... We are considering moving to a state that is starting to pass legislation against knowingly hiring them, and removal of social services. There is nothing wrong with that. It is not about 'race'.
Sure, I'll expand. I live in an area in Nashville that does have a large population of Hispanic immigrants, I would guess that many of them are illegals. The neighborhood is friendly, safe, quiet, and I really like it. Some would say that one of the reasons the neighborhood is so quiet is because illegal immigrants probably don't want to attract a lot of attention to themselves because they risk getting deported if they do. So I don't see a direct correlation between crime and illegal immigrants, of course you will say that the fact they are here is a crime but we both know that's not what we are talking about.

Moderator cut: Take the rest of this to the immigration forum please. Stick to the topic correlating to Nashville only.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-15-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 66,349 times
Don't assume that because people speak spansih that they are illegal. I was born and raised in the US and speak, read and write spanish. My parents came to this country legally back in the early 60's...Also, don't be concerned about illegal drunk driving. You should be concerned about any drunk driving PERIOD, regardless of the drunk's race. Don't get me wrong, I belive that if you live in this country you need to speak English and be here legally. I don't think any of us should be having to pay for other people who should'n be here, I just feel that people should get their facts strait about spanish speaking people. They're not all bad.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,914 times
[quote=nbourbaki;2522952]I think the many murders, muggings, vehicular homicides are committed by legals. You should feel very safe here.

LOL!

I speak Spanish in public (oh the horror) because I want my son to learn Spanish. I am American and speak, write, and read fluent English and Spanish. It has been a great advantage in my career and I want that for my son. My parents came to this country in the 60's and were not illegal.

Understand that not everyone that speaks Spanish is Mexican
Understand that not everyone that speaks Spanish is illegal
Understand that not all crimes/overcrowding/drunkindriving/ills of the world are because or due to illegal immigrants

Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 66,349 times
Thanks applejuice for clearing up that not everyone that speaks spanish is Mexican or illegal. I lived in Georgia for 2 years and everyone there assumed that my husband was Mexican when in fact his parents are Cuban. My co-workers in Georgia were shocked that I was a natural and spoke spanish. Theses things scare me about the South. I am considering a move to Nashville and am very concerned with against us just because of our spanish last name. I also try to speak to my kids in spanish and they will thank me for it in the future .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville