Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:10 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times

Advertisements

On a bluff overlooking the Cumberland River sits a nondescript red-brick building that once housed the city’s trolleys. A faded square above the door hints of the building’s past, while on the left-hand corner, a small white flag advertises the arrival of the future – a start-up incubator where business-minded Millennials are growing a quiet revolution.

Music City, once known for its country-tinged twang, is transforming into something of a Southern Silicon Valley, luring young people en masse. Nearly 30 percent of the city’s population is between the ages of 20 and 39, and more are arriving every day.

In Nashville, steel guitars mix with silicon start-ups - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Thats because Nashville is the best city ever, okay i am bias because my gorgeous girlfriend is from the area but it is a great city to live in.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
I'll preface this by saying I love my city and what its become. I'm glad I grew up here (I grew up in Mt. Juliet, but you get the idea), but with that said, I'm a millenial that's leaving to go back to California later this year. It's ironic because when I was younger I wished Nashville would be what it is now, but now that it's getting that way, I don't feel all that connected to it and it doesn't do it for me. I'm just over it I guess. Here I have family, most of my friends, and Preds hockey. Those are my only local ties. My two best friends who grew up here as well live up in Seattle now because they needed to get away and they absolutely love it. They miss it here from time to time, but they love living in Seattle. Another is that way with Denver also. I'm that way with Southern California. I got homesick last time I lived there (I've lived there twice) and for several reasons I came back thinking this "new" Nashville would be the place for me to put down roots and all that stuff. Wrong. But hey, I guess the late 20s/early 30s are a volatile time in a lot of peoples lives, and personally it's all about where you're happy I guess.

I work downtown and am surrounded daily by people around my age that aren't from here and they love it. I understand why they do, but part of me always kind of says tongue-in-cheek that I almost wish I didn't grow up here, just so I could come here and like it the way all the new people do.

Last edited by Drake744; 02-06-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 PM

372 posts, read 593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'll preface this by saying I love my city and what its become. I'm glad I grew up here (I grew up in Mt. Juliet, but you get the idea), but with that said, I'm a millenial that's leaving to go back to California later this year. It's ironic because when I was younger I wished Nashville would be what it is now, but now that it's getting that way, I don't feel all that connected to it and it doesn't do it for me. I'm just over it I guess. Here I have family, most of my friends, and Preds hockey. Those are my only local ties. My two best friends who grew up here as well live up in Seattle now because they needed to get away and they absolutely love it. They miss it here from time to time, but they love living in Seattle. Another is that way with Denver also. I'm that way with Southern California. I got homesick last time I lived there (I've lived there twice) and for several reasons I came back thinking this "new" Nashville would be the place for me to put down roots and all that stuff. Wrong. But hey, I guess the late 20s/early 30s are a volatile time in a lot of peoples lives, and personally it's all about where you're happy I guess.

I work downtown and am surrounded daily by people around my age that aren't from here and they love it. I understand why they do, but part of me always kind of says tongue-in-cheek that I almost wish I didn't grow up here, just so I could come here and like it the way all the new people do.
What don't you like about it?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:35 PM

63 posts, read 99,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
The "growth" that Nashville is experiencing is completely unmanageable long-term. It's a bubble, and when it burst, it's going to burst big.

In October of 2013, the Tennessean cited figures that put the median rent at $892/month. Those same sources put it somewhere between $1200-1300/month within a 10-mile radius of downtown by the close of 2014. What you're going to end up with is: the people who work in Nashville being forced out, graduate students unable to afford to live near the schools they attend and engage local communities, the working class music scene is already on the way out, the cultural groups that made up the Nashville neighborhoods are all but gone, etc.

As per SunTrust, rent in Nashville is increasing 6% every year while income is increasing 2%. PricewaterhouseCoopers is standing by their analysis that the rental market will begin its decline in 2015 and continue, at least, through the end of 2017. The market is being flooding with too many apartments at the upper-end of the price spectrum and there aren't enough jobs available to support such a move. Some developers have begun to take notice, increasing the amount of affordable units but there also needs to be policy change.

I'm no real estate or city planning analyst but from my vantage point, this growth is not maintainable.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM

456 posts, read 586,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

So true. I feel the same way.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM

69 posts, read 87,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post
The "growth" that Nashville is experiencing is completely unmanageable long-term. It's a bubble, and when it burst, it's going to burst big.

In October of 2013, the Tennessean cited figures that put the median rent at $892/month. Those same sources put it somewhere between $1200-1300/month within a 10-mile radius of downtown by the close of 2014. What you're going to end up with is: the people who work in Nashville being forced out, graduate students unable to afford to live near the schools they attend and engage local communities, the working class music scene is already on the way out, the cultural groups that made up the Nashville neighborhoods are all but gone, etc.

As per SunTrust, rent in Nashville is increasing 6% every year while income is increasing 2%. PricewaterhouseCoopers is standing by their analysis that the rental market will begin its decline in 2015 and continue, at least, through the end of 2017. The market is being flooding with too many apartments at the upper-end of the price spectrum and there aren't enough jobs available to support such a move. Some developers have begun to take notice, increasing the amount of affordable units but there also needs to be policy change.

I'm no real estate or city planning analyst but from my vantage point, this growth is not maintainable.

Someone was telling me this the other day as a matter of fact.

I said somewhere on here once that if you were to live here as a young person (or millennial if you want to say that) then you need to make AT LEAST $30K/yr to not drown in costs here. As I'm meeting more people who come here, they don't have that. It's interesting to say the least.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
I like Nashville for the most part, but the growth of the area isn't what I envisioned it being. Maybe it's just where I am in life personally but it just doesn't do it for me. I feel unimpressed by what's supposed to be "impressive" here. I couldn't care less about East Nashville. The Gulch is fine but I have no motivation to go. Midtown is also fine but it feels cramped and just....I don't know. The density and urban thing is fine with me, as I'm likely going back to Los Angeles or San Diego, but it doesn't feel right in Nashville to me. My personal growth doesn't seem to agree with the growth of Nashville. I don't long for the old days by any means, I'm just over it and generally underwhelmed with what it is now I guess. That probably sounds more harsh than what I actually feel, it's just hard to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post

Interesting. Almost two years ago I was looking for an apartment in the Hermitage/Donelson area and I was surprised how relatively affordable the rents were (between the 700-850 range for a 1BR) and as I was talking to the leasing agent at one place, she was telling me that the "pricing curve" of rent in Nashville is well behind where it should be given the growth of the area and influx of new residents. She told me that it'll go up a lot, and likely pretty quickly. Some of that would seem to be common sense, but hearing it from someone in the business....even after I told her I wasn't interested in paying what they wanted....it just kind of makes it seem like an official problem.

Last edited by Drake744; 02-10-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM

69 posts, read 87,210 times
Well, when (in a 10 mile radius of town) they're building and renting out 500-600 sq ft studios for upwards of $1200, I'd say she was right. Maybe a little too right.

Last edited by k.rn.chandler; 02-10-2015 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rn.chandler View Post
Well, when (in a 10 mile radius of town) they're building and renting out 500-600 sq ft studios for upwards of $1200, I'd say she was right. Maybe a little too right.
I paid $1210 for 700 sq. ft. in the Gulch when I moved here in mid-2012. I was shocked since it was more than I paid in San Francisco at the time (yea rent control).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville