Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thiniking of moving to Nashville area, or maybe somewhere else, where the winters have less snow & cold. I currently own my own condo in NW NJ and work close to full time hours in PA as a bookkeeper. I want to move due to high cost to live here and get a new empoyer. Once I stop working, I will not be able to afford to live here as it will use up my retirement $$ quickly and can't live on SS alone.
I really would rather not have to work, but would like to move & work maybe 2/3 days a week. I am single and very active out 3-4 nights a week dancing & other things on the weekends.

I would be doing this move completely on my own, which is scary, but I can't expect things to change if I keep doing the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I have tried to get a full time job here, even though I really don't want to work 40 hrs a week & I think the younger people are getting the jobs.

Has any single gals tried this on their own, move somewhere else where they know no one??? I have been thinking about this for about 2/3 yrs now & time is just slipping away.

Any suggestions..

Sharquincy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,131,115 times
It's hard for people over 50 to find jobs these days, no matter where you go. Unless you are sticking with a government or big corporate job just biding your time . . . and Nashville is no different. That said, there are a lot of doctor's offices where you might be able to do some PT bookkeeping. Maybe work for H&R Block during tax season and then have 8 months off. A lot of books have been written on 2nd chapters, 2nd careers. I have a friend who makes $80,000 DOG WALKING up in New York (not the city).

Cost of living should be cheaper coming from NJ, just in property taxes alone! I agree that it's a good time to move . . . .

Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,571 times
Thanks Country Girl for your info. Do you live right in the city of Nashville or a smaller surrounding town. I would prefer surrounding town. Where I currently live in NWNJ there is a dairy farm about 1 1/2 mile away & I love the country. How far away from Nashville would I have to go to get something similar. I am big into country dancing line & partner so I would want to continue this. Are there places to dance??

Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 AM

What's your dream housing budget? Renting or buying?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

145 posts, read 205,280 times
i am in my late fifties...i have had doubts about job hunting...i have been a little surprised, there are a lot of companies that want young, older workers...they know their place, are steady workers and can bring intangable experience sometimes...so don't feel too down sharquincy

Old 02-04-2015, 11:24 AM

You might like Cookeville? Small town about 90 minutes east of Nashville.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/38267548-post14.html

You can look on RealTracs.com to see the price of housing. Cookeville is in Putnam County and you could get a really nice place under $200,000.

Suggestions really depend on your housing budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: