Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 AM

248 posts, read 536,189 times

Advertisements

I just found out that my husband has to go to Nashville for a weekend in March, for work. I'm going to go with him. We will have time to go out together at night. And during the day, I'll be on my own. I need to know where the main (touristy) area is for nightlife. When I looked up Nashville online, I see it's broken down into many different sections. What area is popular as far as bars and restaurants go? We'll want to go out for a drink, watch live music, and stroll around. And maybe some shopping for myself during the daytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
The main touristy area is Lower Broadway downtown. There are several honky-tonks, bars, restaurants and museums in a row.

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/broadway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46529839@N04/6248823040/

For shopping, you could go to Hillsboro Village on 21st Ave near Vanderbilt, Green Hills Mall or historic downtown Franklin, which is about 20 minutes south. You would need a car for all those.

http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visito...llsborovillage

http://www.shopgreenhills.com/shopping

http://downtownfranklintn.com/guide/

There is not much shopping of note in downtown.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 AM

Thanks. I will not have a car. But I'm sure I'll find something to do. I'm getting very excited about this trip

Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 AM

Also if anyone has suggestions for some fun bars/restaurants. We are in our 40's, so we like music, drinks, lively atmosphere, but not a 20 somethings crowd.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 AM

838 posts, read 1,212,765 times
For nicer restaurants, I would head over to the Gulch area. Depending on where you're staying downtown, several of the restaurants over there would be walkable. If you're only going to be in town for a day, I think you will find more than enough to do in the downtown\Gulch area.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
For nicer restaurants, I would head over to the Gulch area. Depending on where you're staying downtown, several of the restaurants over there would be walkable. If you're only going to be in town for a day, I think you will find more than enough to do in the downtown\Gulch area.
I agree.

There are a couple of neat stores in the Gulch.

http://www.nashvillegulch.com

You may not get much real shopping done downtown, but there are some cool things to do.

The Musicians Hall of fame and Museum is only $18.95 and is an excellent museum, not to mention the Country Music Hall of Fame.

There also is a free bus that goes all over downtown:

Nashville MTA Music City Circuit - Free bus service to key destinations in downtown Nashville

Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,101,635 times
We are assuming you are staying downtown???

If you want to shop for "Nashville" items . . the tacky shops on Lower Broadway are kinda fun. For higher end items (including "Team Deacon" or "Team Luke" t-shirts from the ABC show "Nashville") try the gift shop at the Ryman (there is construction but you can go into the gift shop without taking the tour).

Hatch Show Print (sort of in the lobby of the new Omni hotel) is worth seeing. Longest running letterpress shop in the US) Hatch Show Print has some fun stuff. There is a nice local coffee shop (Bongo Java) in the lobby of the Omni if you'd just like to 'chill' - great view of the new Music City Center.

Also, at the river end of Broadway, on the right hand side, is the eclectic Acme Seed and Feed. Fun food and a cute but small gift shop in the front of the restaurant. Acme Feed & Seed They have music as well.

Back towards the highway - a bit of a walk but not impossible - is the Frist Art Museum. They have a museum gift shop, art (duh!), and a nice cafe with coffee, sweets, and fairly decent sandwiches!
Nashville, TN Community Art Gallery*-*Frist Center for the Visual Arts

If you get that far, be sure to check out the lobby of the Union Station Hotel . . . really beautiful.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:22 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
We are assuming you are staying downtown???
Very important question. If she's stuck at Opryland.....at least there is shopping.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:58 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,345,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Very important question. If she's stuck at Opryland.....at least there is shopping.

Sightseeing

THe Opryland hotel should be able to get you on a Grey Line of Nashville day tour.

Something different may be if the General Jackson is operating, dinner & a show Friday & Saturday in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville