Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 03:58 PM

20 posts, read 96,392 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search before posting, and was wondering if anyone with a BSN has recently moved from CA to the Nashville area. We were toying with the idea of relocating in about 2 years (have previously explored the Mt. Juliet and Hermitage areas with a Realtor), but my wife is reluctant due to the fact that the wages she would make in CA are so much more than TN (obviously). I'm just looking for some real world feedback on any recent positive or negative stories related to nurses relocating from CA, and the "shock" of any wage differences. TIA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 AM

328 posts, read 569,086 times
How much does your wife make per hour in CA if you don't mind me asking?
Cost of living is much less in Tennessee than CA so that is something to keep in mind.
I don't have answers for you, but am following. Someone should chime in soon

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Thanks for replying! She's currently working in a surgery center making about $25/hr. She's estimating that if she works for one of the large medical centers in San Diego, she could be making $30-$40/hr. She has seen that nursing in TN only pays about $18/hr, and even though the cost of living is a little less, she can't get past that low of pay. She's not totally convinced that the COL is that much less, and in the time I've spent lurking in the forum, I have adjusted my expectations to realize that there is some truth to that (and maybe some recent re locators for CA can provide more insight).

I'm originally from the Chicago area, and spent a few years at Murray State (go Racers!) and prefer the slower pace of the Midwest/South to the expensive and crowded craziness that is Southern California. We're just trying to be sure that the move would be beneficial for us professionally and for our 3 kids.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
Quote:

She's not totally convinced that the COL is that much less, and in the time
I've spent lurking in the forum, I have adjusted my expectations to realize that
there is some truth to that (and maybe some recent re locators for CA can
provide more insight).
Agree. I was a little shocked that it wasn't cheap as we'd been promised. Biggest savings is no state income tax and lower house prices (though those are going up).

Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
TN Nashville area in general is a hot market for health care but its getting harder to get a job in. I personally think Nashville is cheap for a city its size but cost of living is always relative. Good Luck

Old 01-27-2015, 10:12 PM

16 posts, read 28,068 times
RNs in Santa Barbara with 20 ys experience make 55-58/hr base pay. New grads start at 33/hr. my sister is an RN in La Jolla (suburb of San Diego). She makes low 40's. San Diego is lower due to demand not as bad. Places in the Bay Area pay much more. The first time I was out here as a traveler and moved back to Huntsville, Al., I cried when I got my first check, it was literally cut in half. It was a big adjustment. We still lived well.
Now, we are thinking of moving to Nashville (Franklin) where my mom is an RN. Her manager said I would probably make between 35-40. I'm not positive that's what HR would say. My mom just asked her, and she may have been guessing.
It is a lot cheaper back home and you can definitely have a nicer house, even making less. It is hard to make so much less when you're doing the same work. California is the best state for nurses. They really take good care of them!
27/hr won't be that much of a difference with cost of living factored in. Hospitals pay the highest.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 PM

16 posts, read 28,068 times
I would just like to add, unless she is a new grad, she would not be making 18/hr. I think it would probably be more like low 20's. Also, my friend and I figured out how much we would gain from Tn. not having state tax taken out, with an app she has, and it was only around two or three hundred a month. She figured out our pay check here with Ca. State tax taken out making 35/hr and Nashville with no State tax, making 35/hr. It was around 150 a pay check.
The main place you save is housing. Compared to Santa Barbara, housing is way cheaper. We pay 2300/month for a small three bedroom condo. You also can get a really nice house in the 200k range. Groceries aren't that much cheaper. Gas is cheaper, but California has cleaner quality fuel. I don't think it's a significant factor. Also, things are more spread out back there snd you have to drive farther. (Compared to Santa Barbara, where you can walk and bike all over town safely!) Air conditioning and heating costs will make utilities higher back home. (For me it was by a couple hundred dollars partly because house was bigger, too)
Again, housing is the main difference, and depending where you are in Cali, it can be significant. Overall, I still feel like I have more disposable income here and, in Santa Barbara, a better quality of life, buT I do miss my bigger house and having my extended family close by, so I hope I can adjust

Old 01-27-2015, 11:36 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian in socal View Post
Thanks for replying! She's currently working in a surgery center making about $25/hr. She's estimating that if she works for one of the large medical centers in San Diego, she could be making $30-$40/hr. She has seen that nursing in TN only pays about $18/hr, and even though the cost of living is a little less, she can't get past that low of pay. She's not totally convinced that the COL is that much less, and in the time I've spent lurking in the forum, I have adjusted my expectations to realize that there is some truth to that (and maybe some recent re locators for CA can provide more insight).

I'm originally from the Chicago area, and spent a few years at Murray State (go Racers!) and prefer the slower pace of the Midwest/South to the expensive and crowded craziness that is Southern California. We're just trying to be sure that the move would be beneficial for us professionally and for our 3 kids.
Not to hijack the OP's thread... but I'm an RN in SC that will be moving to CA in June of 2016. My biggest concern for you and your family would be your quality if life. TN is not CA, not even close. It's very nice in TN, your money will definitely go further and you can buy a big old house out in the burbs. But let me tell you that when she takes an RN position in a hospital she may be in for a shock if she's only worked as an RN in CA. The pay is obviously quite a bit less (like a lot) and there are no RN/PT ratios anymore (unsafe). I moved south from Cleveland and I've never seen anything like it in my life. I'm heading west where RN's are paid a respectable amount and there are laws stating how many pt's I can safely care for. Best of luck whatever you decide

Vanderbilt Medical Center to have nurses cleaning up - WSMV Channel 4

Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,720 times
I love Nashville, but man if I had a quality job back in San Diego lined up I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the great responses everyone! We're currently in Temecula (close to San Diego) and we're priced out of the SD real estate market, and having both of us commute (generally an hour + each way) is just madness. That is what prompted our serious discussions about relocating. It's an interesting position to be in; CA pays well, but it is expensive to live here. TN doesn't pay well, but it appears the minor difference in the COL doesn't exactly make me want to load the truck and move to.. Mt, Juliet.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Thanks again everyone for the great input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville