Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM

107 posts, read 133,824 times

Advertisements

I commented on this a while back, but didn't get a response, and since it could be an entire conversation in itself....NEW THREAD! For all those who live or have lived in the city:

What exactly is the history and direction of the food scene in this city? For as much concentrated housing within city limits, there's both very few neighborhood square (or stretch) pockets of the city as well as low availability to boutique food and brew. There is obviously a high demand for it; ie. The Sutler, Pharmacy, Porter Road, Fat Bottom Brewery, etc. So my questions are, when did this start? For locals, what REALLY is the demand for this type of culinary experience? Coming from Durham, NC where there already is a very well established scene, I have seen what it can do for a community and I'm both excited and curious to see where it goes with Nashville. Is the push for local and farm to table in it's fledgling stages, or has this been going on for 5 years and the city is just slow to except it? Would you want more of the vibe and availability of what's at the farmer's market out in the hoods? Does the lack of concentrated pockets of local business provide challenges that get this type of movement going? When we first arrived, the locals had described Five Points like gastro-narnia. Where the reality is, that's just one block and there really isn't a whole lot on it. So what are the expectations of the locals? Do you want more? Are you open to it, or is this just a fad for transplants? The demise of Boone & Sons was a tragedy as much as it was inevitable, but to me it provides insight to where the culinary scene is in much of Nashville (speculating here), that the city is still trying to feel it out, not sure what people want, not sure how to execute the idea.

I ask because I'm beginning to want to be a part of the revitalization and be a part of harnessing the potential I think the city has. Food builds community, it's the foundation of family and togetherness. With two chefs under one roof, it's the only way we would know how to give back, and we're considering a business venture, we just don't know what direction yet. Any insight from past/current city dwellers, whether good or bad, is welcome. Bring on the comments, I want insight! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:50 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
Sort of a complex question that requires a lengthy answer. I'll try to answer it more completely when I have more time.

Cliffs version: foodie scene really started to emerge about 20 years ago, with a few key restaurants. It has expanded rather rapidly in the past 10 years. Definitely still an upward trend, but restaurants do come and go -- it's a tough business.

I noticed you mentioned a bunch of places on the east side. There's a lot of great stuff over there, but that's really only a fraction of the food scene.

Unfortunately, there's not really a foodie row or anything. Most places are scattered in pockets all around town, and some in places you wouldn't expect, like strip malls.

I'll try to give you a more thorough explanation later.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Ya, I realize that. I wanted to leave it broad to get as many options from different angles as possible. The east side is where I see much of the boutique food scene happening, currently. Though it can be debated if Pharmacy is even boutique, it does offer a different spin on an American classic and is not your typical Grill Shack or Fat Mos burger. The food trucks, which also haven't taken off yet, never come to the east side (also a venture we're considering). Fine dining I see around much of The Gulch, and The Sutler isn't on the east side either. It just so happens that that part of town is where the gourmet and urban renewal trend are colliding riding now. It's not the part of town I particularly want to focus on as there's a lot of revitalization happening all over the city.

What are the thoughts on why there isn't a "foodie" row? Is that what this city needs or are people willing to drive all over to get the experience they want? Is this also the reason why Nashville is slow on getting on the food truck wagon?

Last edited by nicshoe18; 01-20-2015 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,102,269 times
Although this is a good place for info, researching what kind of restaurant for you to open as a business isn't really the purpose of THIS forum. It's not really a small business forum. I'd say cook what you love, what you're good at. One of my favorite Thai restaurants is Jasmine, which is in a strip mall between Michael's and PetCo. If the food is good enough, I think you'll have a following.

Downtown Franklin has quite a few restaurants that are more foodie than meat and 3. But again, it's just one block. It's possibly all that the area can support. Durham is high tech, right? Maybe more disposable income as a population? And therefore able to support more 'foodie' options.

PS. I don't agree that the food truck thing hasn't taken off here . . . Franklin has a food truck night where they close off the street and it's a MOB scene. Trucks run out of food. We had to eat cupcakes because that was all that was left!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM

838 posts, read 1,212,990 times
If you really want to do Nashville a favor in the 'food arena', open a Boston Market and I will patronize your restaurant religiously!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
Boston Market already failed here. No need to rehash.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
OP, you've only been living here a couple of months, correct??

Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,733,371 times
Quote:

The food trucks, which also haven't taken off yet, never come to the east
side (also a venture we're considering). What are the thoughts on why there
isn't a "foodie" row? Is that what this city needs or are people willing to
drive all over to get the experience they want? Is this also the reason why
Nashville is slow on getting on the food truck wagon?
Have to disagree here. How long have you been here? Most of them are off for the winter. Come spring and summer there are lots of them, but usually spread out all over the metro area. During the week you'll find them spread out due to all of the various areas where the work force concentrates.

Also, not sure why you'd want a "foodie row". There are good restaurants in most neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 AM

First, this is definitely not research for a "type" of business. It's a discussion on the history and direction of culinary trends for this city. Food as a business is only 10% about the actual food.

Bspray - I'll consider it LOL

The rest - yes, about 4 months to be exact, but I tend to cover a lot of ground than most people. A "foodie" row is just a generalization. I'm talking about what nashvols is talking about, there's a general lack of concentrated areas. It's very much spread out here. The NFTA list rarely updated their locations, even prior to winter when the weather was still very warm, but I will definitely keep an eye out come spring time. My observations I believe come from having lived in several cities, where here in Nashville the conversations with locals doesn't really line up with the expectation. This led me to believe the culinary scene hasn't fully taken off yet. Much like general opinions of the east side. Yes it's a hot part of town, but the pockets are generally VERY small. Even what is considered the good sections of the east side still have a very long way to go. As for disposable income, it's a definite possibility. Durham was the East Nashville of North Carolina. I use that example because the environment is closely related to the direction Nashville as a whole is currently headed, as well as the economic layout of the city was similar. Much of the disposable income was further out in the surrounding cities. As for the direction here, I see some aspects are taking longer, while others are light years faster than any other city in the country. This is a very interesting place and I think it's worth the effort in learning the history of food trends here instead of simply catering to to the mass flock of transplants. It's not just about going out and doing what you want, it's also about finding ways to introduce new things to the city while trying to preserve the history and culture of the city at the same time. Raleigh in comparison to Durham I think is a fine example. Give way to obvious gentrification and the city as a whole completely loses it's identity, which would be sad for Nashville because we're absolutely loving it here!

Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM

I think it'd be worth clarifying too that I think it's about the perception of scalability. It's not that there are no, or no good restaurants. That's not true at all. I've had many fine meals in this city. It's that the boutique and farm to table trend is here and there, about 1 per major neighborhood. With both the amount of people living here and the amount of people moving here, I would expect more. The demand for higher end neighborhood bodegas that sell local product appears to be there too, but it's just not happening. The ability for the Turnip Truck to build a new 2 story location I think is proof that the demand is there, but in comparison to how many people live here I think the businesses catering to this clientele is relatively low. Even attendance at the farmer's market during peak hours shocks me at few people are there. But at the same time, I'm watching the trend slowly pick up pace, local brews, patios, bottle shops, brunch, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville