Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 6,565 times

Advertisements

Hi, we will be moving from the Chicago suburbs to Fairview in July. Does anyone have a great experience with movers? We will be moving a 3 bedroom home. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM

389 posts, read 916,989 times
We have never paid for movers, but have used ABF trailers twice now -- highly recommend. We personally like being involved in how our stuff is loaded on the trailer so this option gives us great flexibility. If we really needed the help, we could have hired some teenagers but have always managed with our family and friends. We have one more move coming up in June (from southern California to Nashville!) and I will not be surprised if it is with ABF again.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
My advice would be, if you are Blackhawks fan, never, EVER attend a Predators game and cheer for the Blackhawks. Seriously, if you want to cheer for any team but the Predators, do it from the comfort of you home.

Regarding movers, I got a quote to move us from San Antonio to Nashville in 2013. Two different moving companies quoted rates between $9,000 and $12,000 - we had a 3 bedroom 1800 sqft home. I ended up renting the largest Uhaul available and then used a service Uhaul offers where you can hire contractors through the Uhaul website - licensed and bonded - to come pack and load our stuff. Then we had a separate group of guys unload it all here... we unpacked it ourselves.

Total cost for the Uhaul move was a little over $2,500, including the gas and the contractors. I did have to drive the truck myself which was a mild challenge because I had a tow trailer on the back of it with a 67 Firebird. That made the total length of the Uhaul the same as a semi truck and I had no experience driving something that big. Little things you never think about like, how am I going to get this into a gas station to fill up, become big problems. Other than driving the truck myself, I can't think of a single thing that was different than using movers.

It honestly was a lot of fun once I actually got out on the road. I don't ever intend to move again, Nashville is now home. If I did, I would go Uhaul again without hesitation.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM

91 posts, read 131,264 times
Always good to see more Chicago folks coming down. We moved in 2013, we used New World Van Lines which was offered through my employers relo company-they were pretty good. If you have to do a local move (if you rent or do temp housing) then CK Carriers would be my recommendation-they are top notch. The owner, Cody, attends parts of all moves and is on top of stuff.

Good luck with the move, there's lots to like down here but I guarantee that you WILL miss the food choices and the general service levels up north! Even the places in the Chicago burbs trump what's down here

Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
Always good to see more Chicago folks coming down. We moved in 2013, we used New World Van Lines which was offered through my employers relo company-they were pretty good. If you have to do a local move (if you rent or do temp housing) then CK Carriers would be my recommendation-they are top notch. The owner, Cody, attends parts of all moves and is on top of stuff.

Good luck with the move, there's lots to like down here but I guarantee that you WILL miss the food choices and the general service levels up north! Even the places in the Chicago burbs trump what's down here

You might miss some of the food, but you'll LOVE the Winters here.

(I cheer for the Blackhawks)

Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM

372 posts, read 593,738 times
We moved from Cleveland to Fairview as used Atlas Van Lines. They were awesome and we even used them again when we moved back up to Cleveland.

You will definitely miss the amenities living in Fairview. When we lived there, the Publix wasn't built yet.
You'll love the friendly people and Bowie Park and seeing stars!! It's a beautiful, scenic place.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 AM

7 posts, read 6,565 times
Thanks for all the awesome advice! We can't wait to get down there. Just a few months now!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: