Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,097,132 times

Advertisements

My Mom turns 90 next month. Doesn't want to go out - too cold, too crowded, too loud, too OLD!

So, I'm looking for 'fancy' take out. We'll have about 8 people. No, not pizza. And she's not a sushi fan. Any ideas? Needs to be something that is easy to reheat. Any ideas????

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
Is it for a dinner, or a party?

You could use the grocery store deli option. I like the chicken from the Publix deli (they have several different kinds); the rotisserie chicken could almost count as fancy, I suppose (kind of). They might do a Cornish game hen, but I'm not sure. Maybe get something like a coconut cake or Dutch apple pie as well. And a cheese and fruit tray.

Many restaurants that don't really advertise it will do a pick up order.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:09 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,551,871 times
Almost every restaurant in town will do take out. I haven't used them but there is a service called delivery dudes that will deliver food from restaurants to you house.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
In my experience, Italian travels well and keeps well.

We had friends get a couple of trays from Carrabba's that were VERY good. I think they had one lasagna and one chicken entree.

You also probably could get salad and bread to go with it.

HB to your mama!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Yes, I was thinking maybe Italian would be the way to go . . . forgot about Carrabbas - have never eaten there. I have a menu from Buca di Beppo but don't totally understand the menu - includes drinks which we would do at home. Ordering 8 individual dinners would be a mess, I think, although I understand pretty much any place will let you take something 'to go'.

I miss the days when birthdays were fun . . picking out the matching Yogi Bear cups and paper plates . . . . maybe some streamers? My grandmother lived to be 96. I think I should start celebrating my lower numbers while I still can!

Thanks all!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
You should get the theme stuff for your mom anyway. Maybe a princess theme?? LOL decorate, balloons, the works!!

If you do Italian, don't do Buca di Beppo. Carrabbas is MUCH better food.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,332,675 times
You may find the birthday theme stuff at the dollar store with paper plates, cups & some decorated plastic? glasses & other items.

Trader Joe's has enough different items to make a fun meal. Some baking or heating may be needed depending how much you want to cook.

Best option may be the deli option at Publix.

In my house, we like to turn the numbers around so that you can celebrate with your 9 year old.

A special event would be to attend the Grand Ole Opry, Take advantage of the celebration package. Have your announcement sent to the podium for on air broadcast as time permits. (For a 90 year old very likely during the last segment).

Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,212,295 times
My grandmother just celebrated her 90th and we did BBQ takeout. This was in NC, but most of the local BBQ restaurants may have options...we paid $8-9/person and it included ribs, pulled pork, fried chicken, hush puppies, slaw, potato salad, tea, lemonade and banana pudding. Quite the spread. We also got her birthday themed plates, napkins, balloons and she loved it!

I'd check Martin's, Famous Dave's, Whitt's, Strouds, etc...but, I guess BBQ isn't really "fancy" per se.

If you do decide on Italian, Amerigo in Brentwood (well, the Cool Springs area) also does family style catering.

http://amerigo.net/resources/PDF/Catering_Brentwood.pdf

Last edited by bmrisko; 01-27-2014 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM

933 posts, read 2,744,358 times
Go get some takeout from Pucketts, locally owned.

Last edited by yank283; 01-27-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks for everyone's ideas . . . . NOW we have 10 people, more than we can fit at our dining room table and we're all too old to have a separate "kids table".

So, back to Square One . . . someone suggested, again, Carrabbas as possibly having a little room or corner where we could have dinner. My Mom can't hear great so a separate room would be ideal or a nook would work. Any further thoughts? Before we simply take up 4 car spaces at Sonic????

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville