Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM

9 posts, read 23,253 times

Advertisements

Hi

Have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who turns 4 in summer 2014. Looking for a good pre-K program in and around Brentwood area. I am new to Nashville/Brentwood. Any suggestions.

Would prefer a structured environment and strong preparation for Kindergarten entrance test in schools like Harding Academy, Ensworth, USN etc. Willing to drive 20-25 minutes if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
You probably want to look at Green Hill/Belle Meade preschools then like St. Georges.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I would look at Oak Hill. It's close to Brentwood, and a wonderful school. The kids who go to Oak Hill for elementary feed into the top private schools.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM

Thank you both for your feedback!
@brentwood girl : we looked into oak hill, really like the structure of the school, however it seems a little religiously inclined. We are not christians and oak hill requires its students to attend bible class, we are quite open minded but the requirement for even non christian students to attend bible class from an early age is a little too religious for us. Could you recommend some other pre k , k , elementary schools in Brentwood or close enough which are very good academically like oak hill but secular.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 AM

46 posts, read 91,798 times
What about Franklin Road Academy? They are Christian but not as hard core as Oak Hill from what I've heard.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna22 View Post
What about Franklin Road Academy? They are Christian but not as hard core as Oak Hill from what I've heard.
I don't think they are as good academically either. We know several families who have left FRA for the public schools in Brentwood, and they have said the public schools were better. Most people we know that go to FRA choose it for the religious education or as an alternative to Davidson county schools. I don't know anyone who has left WCS schools to FRA for a better education.

OP- you may have to drive to USN, Ensworth or Harding. The better academic schools closer to Brentwood all have a religious affiliation. There is a Montessori school in Brentwood if that appeals to you. And a Waldorf school in Green Hills.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM

@ pollyanna 22 and Brentwoodgirl.....thanks for the feedback

@ brentwoodgirl we've visited 2 schools so far...Oak Hill (which seemed very impressive with structure/academics) and the Montessori Academy (MA)of Brentwood which seemed much more relaxed in terms of structure. I asked the MA representative where a majority of the kids graduating go for middle and high school and she said most good schools. She didnt have a list of recent graduating students from previous years and where they are now. So am a little confused on if MA's structure is sound enough academically to prepare kids adequately from 5th grade onwards in a good school like Harpeth Hall/ Ensworth / Harding etc.
The feedback I received from a few people on FRA was also not very encouraging.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM

473 posts, read 520,941 times
I asked this question once before and got a grand total of zero replies. Not sure where you were before Nashville, but I don't think "competitive preschools" are a thing here like they are in major cities. Oak Hill and Cheekwood are the only two that seem to advertise themselves that way, but I would say that many preschool directors would be willing to work with you to prepare for the admission application. Send your daughter wherever you feel comfortable and where you think she would thrive.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM

136 posts, read 210,771 times
I am new to this forum, and maybe because my kids are older...10 and 13.. i would just remind you that your daughter is 3 or 4 years old? Find a place she'll enjoy!!! A happy child is one who can thrive. If you start worrying about what preschool she attends, you will make for a long road of academic stress for her and you! They grow up quickly, ENJOY AND LAUGH ALOT!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM

278 posts, read 434,768 times
I wouldn't be too worried about the religious aspect of it. All Christian schools are still required to compete academically as well. If they don't, they'll get left behind - there's too many options. At a pre-K level, they're not going to ask your child to recite a sinner's prayer or be baptized. If its a good school, enjoy the fact that you can afford it, and send your child.

You may also want to check into the Davidson County Encore program - it is the gifted segment of students - they do a 1 day a week program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville