Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 PM

37 posts, read 81,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I have a friend who had a dog that was part Chow (I think). She has a shady backyard and the dog was inside a lot. It seems like she would get the dog well trimmed in the summer, but other than that the dog seemed to thrive.

I'll have to ask her if the dog was part Chow; if not a Chow, something similar. Great dog. The dog got old and in poor health and had to be put down two or three years ago.

The Advantage stuff seems to work well and it's what my vet recommends.
I mainly wanted to be sure the Advantage would be effective. And the humidity can only be avoided I guess if they are inside which is what well do, its what they do here in Arizona now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Have you owned horses before?
I have not owned them, but i grew up riding. That would be way down the line though, and after I learn thoroughly what caring for them entails.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,361,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen808 View Post
WOW!!! Thank you for all that info!!! By plantation home i just meant that southern traditional style home with the crown moldings, here in Arizona everything is a basic cookie cutter home, cant tell yours apart from your neighbors house...haha

And we dont mind a 20-30 minute commute, my husband works for Verizon so he might be a supervisor at the call center in murfreesboro, or he might manage a store, so just in the vicinity is fine.

And good to know about the dogs and horses! My dogs are inside/outside dogs via dog door, I jut didnt know how Tornadoes might be dangerous etc.

Anyone know how Columbia is? Or is that toooo far from shopping malls/Costco?

Colorado is the only other area we have on our list, but they dont have much rain, the house style, or the "green" like TN does...so weighing pros and cons at this point.
To be honest, there really isn't a 'traditional' Southern style anymore. Most new homes here are cookie cutters as well. There are exceptions, but the majority are brick, vinyl, or a combination of the two. The exceptions are primarily going to be on individual tracts (which is more or less what you are looking for) or in neighborhoods where residents constructed their own houses. However, even some of the individual tract homes (and by that I mean not part of any development) can look cookie cutter because for a while that has been the common style, and not to get into it, but I don't think a lot of the residential architects try all that hard to differentiate their styles.

Older houses and individual estates are probably your best bet for something 'different'...but both of those can have their drawbacks...primarily cost.

In re: Columbia, Columbia does have some of its own shopping, and you can definitely get the essentials there...but the town is stagnant...it has barely grown in 20 years, and because of that, a lot of the newer retailers that have entered the Nashville market have not built in Columbia. It's a decently long drive to Costco (perhaps 30-40 minutes on a good day)...but that's not any worse than a lot of the rural areas you might look into (the ones closer to Franklin and Brentwood are going to burst that $400k budget, big time).

If you are thinking about Columbia, I would look to the north, between Columbia and Spring Hill (Neapolis area)...there are a number of larger lot estates there, and the housing values are more friendly than neighboring Williamson County. You still wouldn't be really close to Costco, but you would be closer to Spring Hill, which due to its explosive growth (the opposite of Columbia), has built up a good bit of retail. Plenty of grocery options as well as your regular retail and restaurants (Kroger, Publix, Target, Walmart, Kohls, and plenty more). I'm not the biggest fan of Spring Hill, but it does offer a good bit of retail.

There is the potential that Spring Hill's growth could encroach on the area you pick, but the more explosive growth is happening on the Williamson County side. The Maury County side is growing, but at a more manageable rate.

How much land do you have in mind? I did a quick Zillow search to see what was out there. There's not much, but a few things that might work. If you are set on having horses, getting enough land (I'd guess 5+ acres would be the minimum) could be tough. But if you wouldn't mind just having a nice house on 2-4 acres, your options greatly improve.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
To be honest, there really isn't a 'traditional' Southern style anymore. Most new homes here are cookie cutters as well. There are exceptions, but the majority are brick, vinyl, or a combination of the two. The exceptions are primarily going to be on individual tracts (which is more or less what you are looking for) or in neighborhoods where residents constructed their own houses. However, even some of the individual tract homes (and by that I mean not part of any development) can look cookie cutter because for a while that has been the common style, and not to get into it, but I don't think a lot of the residential architects try all that hard to differentiate their styles.

Older houses and individual estates are probably your best bet for something 'different'...but both of those can have their drawbacks...primarily cost.

In re: Columbia, Columbia does have some of its own shopping, and you can definitely get the essentials there...but the town is stagnant...it has barely grown in 20 years, and because of that, a lot of the newer retailers that have entered the Nashville market have not built in Columbia. It's a decently long drive to Costco (perhaps 30-40 minutes on a good day)...but that's not any worse than a lot of the rural areas you might look into (the ones closer to Franklin and Brentwood are going to burst that $400k budget, big time).

If you are thinking about Columbia, I would look to the north, between Columbia and Spring Hill (Neapolis area)...there are a number of larger lot estates there, and the housing values are more friendly than neighboring Williamson County. You still wouldn't be really close to Costco, but you would be closer to Spring Hill, which due to its explosive growth (the opposite of Columbia), has built up a good bit of retail. Plenty of grocery options as well as your regular retail and restaurants (Kroger, Publix, Target, Walmart, Kohls, and plenty more). I'm not the biggest fan of Spring Hill, but it does offer a good bit of retail.

There is the potential that Spring Hill's growth could encroach on the area you pick, but the more explosive growth is happening on the Williamson County side. The Maury County side is growing, but at a more manageable rate.

How much land do you have in mind? I did a quick Zillow search to see what was out there. There's not much, but a few things that might work. If you are set on having horses, getting enough land (I'd guess 5+ acres would be the minimum) could be tough. But if you wouldn't mind just having a nice house on 2-4 acres, your options greatly improve.
Yea I have been on Zillow as well nonstop looking up areas, acres, etc. And it is hard to find! And the brick houses are beautiful too. But i think visiting soon will help us decide if its a good fit! And good to know about Columbia, probably too far for us. Thank you for all the info it will be very helpful!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,243,920 times
I asked my friend about her dog. The dog was part Chow and part Golden Retriever. She said both parents were registered.

She said there was never a problem with the heat. The dog did have lots of shade in the backyard. She said she got the dog trimmed mainly just because of all the hair. When the dog got older she would lose a lot of hair.

Last edited by alleycat; 01-12-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I asked my friend about her dog. The dog was part Chow and part Golden Retriever. She said both parents were registered.

She said there was never a problem with the heat. The dog did have lots of shade in the backyard. She said she got the dog trimmed mainly just because of all the hair. When the dog got older she would lose a lot of hair.
Thanks! Good to know! I think they will be fine, and they will just have to go inside if there hot during the summer, at least the rest of the year I think they will love it!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,243,920 times
The weather can vary a lot here. Some years we may have a stretch when it's very hot and humid for two weeks in a row, but often the weather will vary--two days it's hot and sunny, the next days it's overcast, the next day sunny but not as hot, then hotter than hell, then thunderstorms . . .

Since you obviously take good care of you dogs I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 PM

65 posts, read 142,626 times
There's a Call Center in Franklin also...in the Cool Springs area...

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick92170 View Post
There's a Call Center in Franklin also...in the Cool Springs area...
a verizon one? Oh thats awesome i didnt know that! Thanks!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 AM

65 posts, read 142,626 times
Yes-Verizon-455 Duke Drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville