Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,682 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm from Montreal and moving soon to Nashville to complete a post-doc. I've been searching (probably close to 60 hours of search...!) for an apartment near Vanderbilt for a 6 month lease with a 1100$/ month budget. At first, I was really hoping to find a furnished apartment... I see now that this is impossible within my budget. I would really prefer to bike to work (the cold doesn't scare me .

I came across this forum while reading reviews (that's another topic!) and I was amazed by the generosity of the replies. So I come to you (on the verge of having no more hope to find something before my move (January 1rst)

My questions to you are:
- Apartment complex vs "rent by owner": We own a duplex here in Montreal and we deal directly with the renters. I would really prefer to find something like that than have to go through an agent or managers (which seem not to enjoy their job if we consider the vast majority of the reviews...). Do you know how I can find studios or 1 bd rented by the owner?
- What are all these exorbitant applications fees?! sometimes up to 400$ and I understand that these are not refundable and sometimes we are asked to pay before even visiting the place. Is this common / legal?
- Besides the application fee, are there other fees that I should expecting in my budget (deposit, water, garbage, gaz, waste, etc) approximately how much?

- Any references would really be appreciated! I'll be in Nashville in two weeks to house hunt. Open to anything clean within my budget.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
Have you checked the Vanderbilt Classified Ads online? I will send you the link.

I think even "for rent by owner" places would do some sort of credit check but $400 seems outrageous for an application fee. For a deposit or first month's rent, then that's not unusual.

You can download a copy of the Landlord/Tenant Act here and get the phone number and email address of the Division of Consumer Affairs who can answer your questions.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56146854,d.eW0

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,682 times
Great thank you! I visited the site a while back and forgot about it with all the intense searching. It seems that there's no coordinated web site for the landlords/renters to post and shop.
I get the deposit, even though it's illegal here. But the application fees, wow wee! baffled me!

thanks again!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
There is a short term 5 month place that might work for you, if it is not already taken. I think it is a good bet since you are here less than a year. There's Craigslist . . . . which is hit or miss. Does Vanderbilt have a housing office?

Have you tried this?

https://apphost2.its.vanderbilt.edu/...iz/OCReferral/

You have to have some sort of permission to log in but there is a phone number listed. As an international student, they should help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville