Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My g/f and I will be visiting your city and will be staying at the Hilton downtown. We will be there starting Saturday and leave Monday afternoon. One thing I want to do, aside from all the downtown tourist traps, was sort of take a Sunday scenic drive and check out some the local towns or vistas about 1hr or so from downtown. Having never been to TN, is there a scenic route or backroad that you recommend to check out in TN that is maybe 1hr or so from downtown Nashville? We will be driving in from STL.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Probably the easiest to direct you to would be the Natchez Trace Pkwy. You can get there in ~20 minutes and drive as long as you feel like. It does head away from the city, so keep in mind that you'll essentially have to backtrack to get back to Nashville.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
We had a big wind storm on Halloween and I think it blew a LOT of the fall color off the trees. Except for the bridge that's close to the start of the Natchez Trace (close to the Loveless Cafe, if that is on your list), I find a lot of the trace kinda boring. I'm sorry. Just to drive it? There are things to see but you have to get out of the car and walk to them. Otherwise you're looking at a lot of trees, most without leaves. BUT it is historical so you might want to do that.

Here is a link to what is called The Jack Trail. I find this website frustrating to use but you can download a PDF version of the brochure. OR if you tell PM me your name and the hotel, I can mail you one (I grabbed some at the visitors center . . or YOU might be able to do that on your way into the state?)

The Jack Trail - Guides & Downloads | Tennessee Trails and Byways

If most of your time will be in downtown Nashville, I would certainly drive south to see downtown Franklin (Downtown Franklin Tennessee), and perhaps the Carnton Plantation (Battle of Franklin Trust - The Carter House and Carnton Plantation, Franklin, TN) and then maybe the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg (http://www.jackdaniels.com). Lynchburg is kinda cute (Official Chamber of Commerce Lynchburg Tennessee). Both Franklin and Lynchburg have antique stores around if you are into that kind of thing?

This will sound silly in a way because it's a local road but Berry's Chapel/ Lynnwood Way (between Old Hillsboro and Franklin Road) just north of downtown Franklin is a pretty (quick) drive with a scenic overlook (easy to miss, pay attention) at the top. Just a suggestion if you find yourself heading to Franklin. Pucketts (Welcome to Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant - Franklin - Nashville) is a good place to eat . . a bit of local meat & 3 flavor. There are a few Pucketts . . . even one downtown. Live music on the weekend - check the schedule for each location).

OR you could drive out to Leipers Fork . . . . (Home| Historic Leiper's Fork Village). It's a blink twice and you'll miss it little hamlet, but there's a Pucketts out there too and the Country Boy restaurant has fried pie I think . . . (Country Boy Restaurant | Dining & Catering | Franklin, Leipers Fork, Tennessee, TN)

Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:54 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,241 times
I used to take long, rambling drives every few months when I lived in Nashville. One that comes immediately to mind is driving from Nashville to Ashland City, via River Road (which branches off of Charlotte, and is first TN Route 251, then TN Route 249). Winding, hilly roads with occasional glimpses of the Cumberland. And I'm sure there's somewhere in Ashland City to grab a bite if you'd like.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,863 times
Downtown Nashville is not a bunch of tourist traps. Very much of downtown is historic including lower Broad. A bar which has been open for 50 years may have mostly tourist patrons, and you might not want to go in, but really, there are historic buildings all over downtown and seeing historic venues is not a waste of time.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

This will sound silly in a way because it's a local road but Berry's Chapel/ Lynnwood Way (between Old Hillsboro and Franklin Road) just north of downtown Franklin is a pretty (quick) drive with a scenic overlook (easy to miss, pay attention) at the top. Just a suggestion if you find yourself heading to Franklin. Pucketts (Welcome to Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant - Franklin - Nashville) is a good place to eat . . a bit of local meat & 3 flavor. There are a few Pucketts . . . even one downtown. Live music on the weekend - check the schedule for each location).

OR you could drive out to Leipers Fork . . . . (Home| Historic Leiper's Fork Village). It's a blink twice and you'll miss it little hamlet, but there's a Pucketts out there too and the Country Boy restaurant has fried pie I think . . . (Country Boy Restaurant | Dining & Catering | Franklin, Leipers Fork, Tennessee, TN)

Enjoy your visit!
I agree. There are a lot of beautiful drives not that far from Nashville, and these are two great ones.

I also recommend 21st Avenue/Hillsboro Road, then right on Moran Road to Old Natchez Trace and Old Hillsboro Road.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Probably the easiest to direct you to would be the Natchez Trace Pkwy. You can get there in ~20 minutes and drive as long as you feel like. It does head away from the city, so keep in mind that you'll essentially have to backtrack to get back to Nashville.
That's exactly the route I was thinking. Bring a camera, the leaves are so beautiful through many areas. If you're looking to do a little walking/biking you should check out some of the area's greenways. Check out Franklin, TN's downtown, too, if you're looking for unique local flavor in a charming atmosphere. Cool Springs is also worth a visit. Other neat downtowns to check out include either Murfreesboro or Clarksville, which both have a number of restaurants, stores, antiques, and outlets to check out.

Shop, Eat, Play, Work | Downtown Franklin Tennessee

Cool Springs, TN | Galleria Mall, Restaurants & News

http://www.downtownmurfreesboro.com/

http://historicdowntownclarksville.org/

Last edited by Shakeesha; 11-03-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Downtown Nashville is not a bunch of tourist traps. Very much of downtown is historic including lower Broad. A bar which has been open for 50 years may have mostly tourist patrons, and you might not want to go in, but really, there are historic buildings all over downtown and seeing historic venues is not a waste of time.
I'm sorry if I made it sound like downtown Nashville is a tourist trap. We will definitely be checking out the downtown area (that's the main reason we are visiting), but I like to do lazy Sunday morning drives and was wondering if there was a certain area near Nashville that would be worth a drive.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I'm sorry if I made it sound like downtown Nashville is a tourist trap. We will definitely be checking out the downtown area (that's the main reason we are visiting), but I like to do lazy Sunday morning drives and was wondering if there was a certain area near Nashville that would be worth a drive.
I figured that's what you meant. The country stuff definitely qualifies as a tourist trap, but I think groov was commenting that the whole of downtown does not.

I like lazy Sunday drives, too. There's not one particular area, but I think you'll find most suggestions point you south and west. If you have a GPS, you can explore a bit on your own. Otherwise, I'd stick to numbered highways, or the Natchez Trace.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
We had a big wind storm on Halloween and I think it blew a LOT of the fall color off the trees. Except for the bridge that's close to the start of the Natchez Trace (close to the Loveless Cafe, if that is on your list), I find a lot of the trace kinda boring. I'm sorry. Just to drive it? There are things to see but you have to get out of the car and walk to them. Otherwise you're looking at a lot of trees, most without leaves. BUT it is historical so you might want to do that.
I was on the Natchez Trace Trail just today from Loveless all the way to the Leipers Fork exit at 46. The Halloween wind storm definitely didn't blow all the leaves off the trees. It is absolutely stunning right now, although I would be surprised if the leaves made it another week - this weekend was probably the peak of Fall.

I think the Natchez Trace Trail is gorgeous. Lots of winding roads, some of the best trees in the state and usually not much traffic. It's a nice peaceful gorgeous drive and this time of year, the view is hard to beat.

YMMV.
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville