Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,860 times

Advertisements

My husband is accepting a job in Lebanon and I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on the areas to live in and schools. I have four kids, one is in middle school(6th grade), 3rd grader and one in pre-K. Also are there any community colleges for myself? I have lived my whole life in Michigan so this is a little hard for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,271,259 times
I'll let others answer most of your questions since there are people here more familiar with that area. I think the closest community college would be Volunteer State in Gallatin; it has a fine reputation for a community college. There are others in the greater Nashville area, such as Nashville State Community College.

You might not find it as much of a cultural shock as you think (unless your husband is a big union guy and used to working under those rules). Most people I've known from Michigan have found that they like it here. This is a very family oriented area, so you will be able to find lots of things to do with the kids (from sports to arts), as well as other like-minded parents.

By the way, I have a good friend who lives in Ann Arbor. We were just talking about the Lions the other day when they won (which surprised the heck out of him). One thing, you probably won't hear a lot of sports talk about the Lions here (it's almost like that don't exist) unless you hook up with a group of sad-faced Lions fans who happen to live in the area. :-)

Last edited by JMT; 09-14-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,462,220 times
I can tell you that you'll be just fine from Michigan coming here. I moved to Michigan in 2005, and lived there until 2009. Michigan is a beautiful state, but the endless winter I did not enjoy. Summers were awesome.

Summer is hotter here, winters are cold but not brutal. The people in Michigan were very nice to me, and the people from tennessee will be nice to you I have no doubt.

It may help me to describe some culture differences if you'll let us know what part of the hand you live on. Tge UP has a very distinct culture as opposed to folks from detroit or grand rapids for instance.

I personally think you will really like it here. Several old friends from Waterford (aka walltucky to some of the locals there) and from the UP love nashville, and would really like to move down.

Biggest thing I can think of? Lack of open water. We have lots of rivers, lakes, and ponds, but nothing on the scale of Michigan.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:54 PM

593 posts, read 1,360,934 times
It would be difficult to recommend a specific area without knowing your general housing budget and preferences. Also, when you say "in Lebanon," is it in town or just near Lebanon? That might matter, too, since Lebanon the area covers a fair amount of ground (as opposed to just the main part of the city). You'll be fine schools-wise buying in Wilson County*, but the specific area that's best for you might depend on what you want to be close to otherwise. Gallatin (Vol State CC) is north. Lebanon itself has Cumberland University, although I think it's more expensive than community college. West is Mt. Juliet, which is becoming the primary suburb/retail center of the county, and it offers a shorter drive to Nashville. You could even look south of Lebanon or the areas near 109 or 840, to skip down to Murfreesboro for MTSU.

* The Lebanon High School zone used to have a stigma because of its dilapidated, overcrowded building. The new school has opened and has helped that greatly. But most would still tell you the K-8 schools are better in the south and west parts of Lebanon, for whatever reason. Lebanon has its own K-8 system but all high schools are part of the county system.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM

584 posts, read 1,140,738 times
I see lots of old English D's here. Not many Lions logos, though. Seems like a good number of Michigan and Michigan State logos on cars and t-shirts, too. I've heard there are lots of Michiganders in Spring Hill b/c of GM.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:04 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,462,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
I see lots of old English D's here. Not many Lions logos, though. Seems like a good number of Michigan and Michigan State logos on cars and t-shirts, too. I've heard there are lots of Michiganders in Spring Hill b/c of GM.
You can always tell the locals, from the folks who have lived in Michigan or who are from there, by throwing up your hand and asking where they lived. If you've spent any time in Michigan, you know exactly what that means. If you know nothing about the state, you'd get a confused look

Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,271,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You can always tell the locals, from the folks who have lived in Michigan or who are from there, by throwing up your hand and asking where they lived. If you've spent any time in Michigan, you know exactly what that means. If you know nothing about the state, you'd get a confused look
Or if you have friends from Michigan. I know exactly what it means.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,860 times
My cousin lives in Spring Hill and we went to visit her over the summer and I did see some old English D's. I did how ever find some Lions drinking glasses at a good will in Spring Hill.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,092 times
My family moved down from Lapeer, MI just over a year ago (we lived our whole life) because of GM. I will say... I have NO regrets! I love it here. So much to do and see and in my area and beyond. Never a boring day or moment. Always something to do or see from a few hours of fun to a week long vacation. The schools are GREAT here! Not sure about Lebanon area though. What are you wanting to pursue at college? There are several around some focus on specific areas though. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville