Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM

49 posts, read 74,415 times

Advertisements

We are in the planning stages for a possible move from south Florida to Nashville. One of my concerns is the vehicle inspection. We don't have inspections at all here. My jeep, which I love, has some issues. The horn does not work and the transmission light is on.
I looked up the official information but it didn't tell me specifically.
My father, who lives in Davidson county, told me that just having that transmission light on would fail me. Even though that has nothing to do with emissions, is this true? And I know that the horn is a "safety" device, but would that fail me too?
My jeep has over 200k miles and is only worth about $1500 so selling it and buying something different wouldn't really get me much. I really want to keep it! Plus, if I did have to sell it, I'd rather sell it while down here because if I couldn't register it there, neither could anyone else.
Any advice or insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
I'm not sure about the transmission light. They do two different tests based on the year of the vehicle. On newer models they hook their equipment to a connection within the car that the manufacturers provide. On older vehicles they insert a test probe up the tailpipe. I have my doubt about them even noticing a transmission light. Years ago I didn't even have to get out of the car when they did the test; now I do because I have a newer model vehicle and they have to get inside to make the connection.

As far as I know they don't test the horn. They never have when I've gone to have the test done. It is an emission test, not a vehicle inspection as some states do. They do check whether the vehicle has a proper gas cap.

I would be more concerned just because it is a vehicle with 200k+ miles. It will only cost you $9 for the test; you can have it tested once you're here and see if it will pass. If it doesn't pass then you can decide to either fix it or sell it. It shouldn't be too much of a problem selling it here. The emissions test is only for Davidson and some surrounding counties. There are other counties nearby which don't have an emissions test.

Last edited by alleycat; 09-13-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 03:03 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
They won't check the horn. It's not a safety check. HOWEVER, I had a car repeatedly fail emissions testing in Connecticut because the CHECK ENGINE light was on. They hooked it up to a computer and it failed because of this light, which turned out to be wiring that was chewed by mice. I can't imagine the transmission has anything to do with emissions but it MIGHT trigger something with the emissions computer.

The counties that require the emissions tests are Hamilton, Davidson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson & Wilson. So you COULD sell it to anyone outside of those counties if it didn't pass.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 PM

263 posts, read 614,151 times
Testing here is for emissions only. I've gone with all kinds of other issues -- dashboard lights on, cracked windshield, spare tire on the car, etc. (Yes, I drive a hoopty.) But I'm good on emissions, and I pass the test.

Welcome to Mid-TN!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 AM

46 posts, read 91,809 times
We have two Suburbans, one with 175k miles and another with 250k miles on it. Both passed with no problem in Davidson county. Seriously, could not have been any easier and was super fast at one of the mobile testing centers. I'd keep your Jeep.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM

49 posts, read 74,415 times
Thanks. You all sound more optimistic than my father! I've got a few months, so I'm gonna do some research and see if I can find out if it is possible to have someone here test it. If it turns out that I have to sell it, I really don't want to have to drive it the 14 hour drive up there!
It is an '02 so it would have to have the computer connected test. (Surprised that '02 is considered 'new'!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville