Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 12,568 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the purchase of a 4BR home in the Nolensville area...
Narrowed it down to Nolensville, based on home options/features in my $350k price range for post-2000 or newer homes.
Franklin/Brentwood is desired, but not within the price range....based on my searches.

I'm not that familiar with the area, but from my numerous visits...here's what I know/think:

The good = good price for Williamson county; steady retail/restraunt growth(for now); new high school to be built(relief for a crowded Ravenwood); new city planner is former Brentwood city planner
The bad = driving distance to I65 or I24; possible congestion on the many two-lane roads
The unknown = Will it continue to grow? Will it get saturated? How bad can the traffic get?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 02:50 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times
Have you used RealTracs.com? I searched for 4 bedroom houses in Franklin between $250,000 and $350,000 and 32 houses came up. Were you looking for more land? You're right, it would be tough to find in Brentwood.

Anyway, here's what popped up in the search:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Yes, it will continue to grow. For the next 5 years you will have to drive for any major retail besides grocery and for any kid activities. But the aldermen are set to vote on the first liquor store permit next week!

FTR the ex-Brentwood city manager is consulting with them, but they have their own city planner.

The traffic will be bad for years because in truth it is the country. Road improvement is a SLOW process here, and traffic will be bad most anywhere. If you're willing to live with growing pains for a newer house, you will be fine.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:14 PM

263 posts, read 615,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert213 View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a 4BR home in the Nolensville area...
Narrowed it down to Nolensville, based on home options/features in my $350k price range for post-2000 or newer homes.
Franklin/Brentwood is desired, but not within the price range....based on my searches.

I'm not that familiar with the area, but from my numerous visits...here's what I know/think:

The good = good price for Williamson county; steady retail/restraunt growth(for now); new high school to be built(relief for a crowded Ravenwood); new city planner is former Brentwood city planner
The bad = driving distance to I65 or I24; possible congestion on the many two-lane roads
The unknown = Will it continue to grow? Will it get saturated? How bad can the traffic get?

What are your thoughts?
As a city planner, I love the fact that you mentioned city planning in your post! Unfortunately, while I don't know anything about the planner in Nolensville, I would argue that Brentwood is a very poorly planned town from multiple angles. I'm not aware of Brentwood having ever been cited as a regional--or even local--example of 'good' city planning. (Wealth does not equate to good planning.) Thus, having someone from Brentwood handling planning in Nolensville would not be an automatic plus for me.

Nolensville is also a terribly planned town. But it's cute and fairly convenient to lots of other places.

Best wishes!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,362,249 times
Brentwood, Smyrna, and Nashville are all growing towards Nolensville. Growth there is inevitable, and I think it will be substantial over the next 10-15 years.

Great if you want your home value to appreciate.

Not so great if you hate traffic.

It's definitely convenient to Smyrna and Franklin (commercial districts)...somewhat to Brentwood. Convenient to the lower portion of Nashville's commercial areas (Nolensville Rd south of Old Hickory Blvd). Right now, you can get by with using the back roads. I imagine that will change over time.

There are plans to widen Nolensville Rd in Davidson County. I'm sure eventually Nolensville will have to add some 4 lane sections themselves, probably with a bypass of their 'downtown' area. Otherwise we're looking at Spring Hill 2.0.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 12,568 times
Thanks all for the feedback.

CountryGirl2b=: I was looking for newer homes...post 2000. Looking to stay away from the white cabinets and gold fixtures. Thanks anyway.

Wmsn4Life: Thanks for the correction on the city planner.

Traffic is a concern, as I work near the downtown Nashville area. I'm curious as to which route is best?
Concord to 65? or other routes?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
TDOT is going to widen Concord Road from Nolensville Road to Wilson Pike beginning early next year, so I would avoid it and begin to learn back roads.

There are a lot of potential trouble spots in between. You may look at taking Clovercroft to Wilson Pike to Moores Lane to I-65. McEwen is already backed up in rush hour, and it is going to see a ton of construction over the next few years.

Nolensville Road has more red lights and more traffic the farther north you go. Old Hickory Blvd. is already a main thoroughfare to the interstate, but it at least is built for heavy traffic. You might look at taking that in the AM.

The commute would be the trade-off.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times
I understand about wanting a newer house . . I guess I watch too much HGTV. I've actually had fun 'de-brassing' the house we bought - hinges, handles, light fixtures, switch plates. There's actually spray paint you can use on some of the "gold". You can't change the age of the house but you CAN give it a facelift. Again, too much HGTV!!!

Best to you in Nolensville!

Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM

222 posts, read 640,363 times
I like white cabinets and gold fixtures. I spend my money on travel instead of fussing with keeping up with house styles. To each his own of course!
Regarding the commute. If you want to avoid Concord Road, you could continue up Nolensville to Holt, then Edmondson Pike. There are various routes from there to get over to I-65. The WAZE app works pretty well to route around traffic. Good luck to you!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,362,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I understand about wanting a newer house . . I guess I watch too much HGTV. I've actually had fun 'de-brassing' the house we bought - hinges, handles, light fixtures, switch plates. There's actually spray paint you can use on some of the "gold". You can't change the age of the house but you CAN give it a facelift. Again, too much HGTV!!!

Best to you in Nolensville!
I'm watching Property Brothers right now. I watch too much of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville