Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,351 times

Advertisements

Hello Nashville!

I will be visiting later in the week and I have really enjoyed this forum for info. I am on a fact finding mission to see if my relocation here would be as great as I imagine. Need to know where I can walk 4 miles each day.
I walk on the beach every day so challenging terrain is welcome.
Should I bring my hiking boots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
You could try Warner Park (it's a huge city park with varied terrain), Centennial Park (mostly level) or the Radnor Lake area. You could also walk downtown if you were so inclined, Nashville is built on hills so a walk from the Farmer's Market/Bicentennial Mall to the Capital to the War Memorial Plaza to Broadway to Riverfront Park and back to the Mall might be an interesting walk plus you'd see parts of downtown. There's a few greenbelts around town near the river.

Here's a link to the state parks in Middle Tennssee that list hiking as part of the recreational activities: Tennessee Vacation - Hiking
The Cumberland River Trail listed in Ashland City is about 30 minutes away from Nashville but is an interesting walk; it was an old railroad track that was abandoned.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Cool Sounds Great!

Thanks AC - sounds great- I will be in town 5 days, I'll pick a different walk each day. One more question as a solo traveler are there any parks or areas I should be wary of?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Thanks AC - sounds great- I will be in town 5 days, I'll pick a different walk each day. One more question as a solo traveler are there any parks or areas I should be wary of?
No, I don't think so, especially during the day. About the only problem I hear of in any of the parks is people having sex in them. Any of the largest city parks would be possible walking areas.

You could also walk about the Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village area. The Natchez Trace Parkway run by the National Park Service is an interesting drive . . . and has bike routes if you wanted to try that. Due to the drought we've had the foliage isn't as pretty this year but you'll still see some color around town next week.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:54 PM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Beaman Park in Joelton has some great trails. We went hiking yesterday on the Ridgetop Trail which is about four and a half miles round trip. There's a shorter trail, as well, that goes down to a creek, then follows it before heading back up again.

The foliage is beautiful right now.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Beaman Park in Joelton has some great trails. We went hiking yesterday on the Ridgetop Trail which is about four and a half miles round trip. There's a shorter trail, as well, that goes down to a creek, then follows it before heading back up again.

The foliage is beautiful right now.
That's one of the greenbelts I mentioned. I haven't been to Beaman but it looks nice from the pictures I've seen. Does it go around Marrowbone Lake as well?

Not too far from there is a house where Jesse James lived for a while. Funny, I think there's a bank in front of the house now.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:42 PM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
That's one of the greenbelts I mentioned. I haven't been to Beaman but it looks nice from the pictures I've seen. Does it go around Marrowbone Lake as well?

Marrowbone Lake is north of Beaman Park.

Here's more info about the park:
Friends of Beaman Park

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 AM

If you decide you want to try the downtown walk, let me know, and I'll give you a couple of routes that will take you by some of the more interesting downtown areas and keep you from having to cross too many of the busier streets. You could do a "north of Broadway" walk (all the street have "N" in their name), and/or a "south of Broadway" walk around the new symphony hall.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Thanks to all -I will bring my hiking boots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
If you decide you want to try the downtown walk, let me know, and I'll give you a couple of routes that will take you by some of the more interesting downtown areas and keep you from having to cross too many of the busier streets. You could do a "north of Broadway" walk (all the street have "N" in their name), and/or a "south of Broadway" walk around the new symphony hall.
Please and thank you that would be great- it's great to get advice from the
cognoscenti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville