Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 AM

103 posts, read 464,965 times

Advertisements

We're parents considering a possible job offer in Nashville.

We're a bit tired of DC, with particular regard to the cost of living and the size of our home. It's not getting any bigger and our kids aren't going to get any smaller.

There's really not much aside from horrid traffic that the DC / Northern Virginia doesn't have going for it, but we'd like to bring our kids up in a slower paced environment. somewhere where they could have backyard chickens and their own rooms.

If anyone can offer and advice on your perception of Nashville as a place to raise kids, I would greatly appreciate it.

We like normal things most Americans like, such as good libraries, nice playgrounds, a good park system, nice neighbors. If this sounds like Nashville, we'd be pretty excited. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,360,745 times
That sounds like Nashville! I think you'll like it.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM

909 posts, read 1,064,392 times
There are some new subdivisions near this new state-of-the-art high school that opens next month...

Stewarts Creek High School

Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
What is your price range? Backyard chickens would be an issue in Brentwood and the incorporated part of Franklin. Not sure about the rules in Davidson County. The thing about Nashville is that there are a lot of developments/subdivisions/HOAs and they probably would not allow chickens. If chickens are a serious consideration, then that will narrow down the search. What would be your price range for a house? Are you looking to rent or own? And would your jobs likely to be located in downtown Nashville? It's kind of a hot place right now, in that a lot of folks are moving here. So housing is maybe not as cheap as you think it might be. Although I do not have kids, I have friends who moved here from the NE for the same reason. Let us know your housing price range and needs/wants and clarify the chicken issue and we can be more helpful!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM

374 posts, read 694,200 times
Re chickens in Davidson County, you can have 2, 4 or 6 hens depending on lot size. But of course HOAs can ban them.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
I'm don't know the housing stock in Davidson as well as Williamson . . . are a majority of houses there under HOAs or not? Does Crieve Hall (for instance) have an HOA, does anyone know?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM

We would be looking to own. Price range is $300-$450K.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM

933 posts, read 2,745,056 times
I think you will find a lot of like minded folks in East Nashville. You should look into Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors, Rosebank and Inglewood. Parts of Inglewood (and probably a small portion of Rosebank too) are still in the "up and coming area" (but are getting nicer very fast and is evident in the upward bound housing costs), but there are many bigger lots, with nice, well maintained older homes there. Shelby Park is nearby and the city just bought Cornelia Fort Air Park and is converting that to greenway as well. Lockeland Design Center and Dan Mills Elementary have good reputations and Rosebank Elementary has apparently made great strides the last few years and is developing a good reputation. The reputations of the middle schools is not great right now unfortunately, so if your going the public school route, it might be an issue. There are great, very active Moms Clubs in East Nashville. As mentioned before, Crieve Hall also might be an option. Big lots with ranch style houses. You may also want to look into the West Meade area. The walkability and access to amentities to the last two would be more geared to hoping into a car first, but they are nice neighborhoods with room to breath that aren't too far from city amentities. Good luck, wherever you end up.

Last edited by yank283; 07-16-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM

722 posts, read 2,102,957 times
Everything sounds like Nashville. one huge item that has to be brought up is how you feel about religion. Its the centerpiece of many lives so if you are comfortable with religion, you will likely enjoy it here. If you are uncomfortable with religion, you might want to visit first (which might be a good idea anyways). Its not in your face in a negative way but its prevalent in everything. Coming from the North, it takes a little getting used to.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 AM

Thanks. I don't consider DC to be from "the North." It's its own special kind of regional Hell. Northerners wouldn't have us, plus my family is from Virginia. We're used to that.

I've been to Nashville before, but stayed downtown, which I liked. I saw a bit of the outskirts. There are some rough parts, but some nice, rural parts as well.

I am a homebody. My wife is a homebody. We want a nice, quiet house on a nice, quiet street, on an acre or more of land and want to be left alone. We won't be joining the local Knitting Club or going to the local Baptist Church's bazzar fundraiser.

I was told by a friend at Vanderbilt about the religion aspect, but that's just the South and we're used to it.

The key is finding a larger house on some land in a good school district within driving distance to Nashville: 30-45 minutes each morning would be fine, and I'd be leaving the house at around 6:30 AM. I get up at 5 AM to walk the dogs anyway.

This is all good advice and I appreciate the neighborly tone of everyone's comments. I've posted on some forums and asked questions and some people can be down right rude. That speaks a lot about the type of people in Nashville.

V.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville