Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

If you are the "live and let live" type, which it sounds like you are, then you will be fine here.

If you're serious about chickens, you will need to be very familiar with the rules of different parts of the area.

There are places within the Nashville city limits where you could have up to 6 chickens. Roosters are prohibited. While this website is an urban chicken advocacy site, it does have a very thorough link to the laws. Some Metro council districts opted out of the ordinance:

Metro Nashville / Davidson County Ordinance | www.ucannashville.org

Any neighborhood that is a dedicated subdivision with an HOA probably will not allow it. Also, some cities will have their own specific requirements. For example Brentwood, just south of Nashville, does have many 1+acre lots, but requires a minimum of 3 acres for livestock, which includes chickens.

So if this is not hyperbole and something that you truly want to pursue, you should make it a part of your home research for all potential counties, including Sumner, Williamson, Wilson and Rutherford, and municipalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
We live in Brentwood, and there is at least one family at our school that raises chickens at their house. They live on the very fringe of our school district, not in a neighborhood.

I would look in the rural parts of Williamson County, Fairview, Nolensville, Arrington, and College Grove. They are all in Williamson County, which has the best schools in the area. There should be something in the rural areas in your price range that would allow you to raise chickens (although obviously check the codes).

We also have friends that live in a rural part of Franklin, and they have a beautiful property with cows, chickens, streams, etc. Their property would probably sell for more than your budget, but there was one for sell close to them recently that was in your budget.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
We live in Brentwood, and there is at least one family at our school that raises chickens at their house. They live on the very fringe of our school district, not in a neighborhood.
I hope they have at least 3 acres, or else they'd be in violation of a city ordinance. Hopefully they are just outside the city limits over there.

I agree that rural Williamson would offer he best of both worlds.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,646 times
I live inside of 440 in Nashville....very urban neighborhood, and there are people that legally have chickens. Ironically, for chickens you're probably better off being in an urban environment instead of a suburban environment (rural areas are obviously fine with it).

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I hope they have at least 3 acres, or else they'd be in violation of a city ordinance. Hopefully they are just outside the city limits over there.

I agree that rural Williamson would offer he best of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure they have 4 or more acres.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM

103 posts, read 464,040 times
Thanks again for all of the good information.

The prospective job would be just north of the airport. We were looking at Franklin, but then started looking east.

Can anyone tell me what we should know about Mount Juliet or Lebanon?

I understand Williamson County is not quite as nice as Davidson County, but the houses out there look like what we'd be interested in, provided they offer me the job - which remains to be seen.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I've been to the big fishing lake on the east side of Nashville. I did a short visit there a few years back and loved it. Just beware of commuter traffic. It's not the beltway but it also to my knowledge has no mass train transportation in and out of town. Lots of good food there. Especially if you like fried dill pickles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville