Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM

66 posts, read 121,778 times

Advertisements

Is Nashville a good area to move to for a Teacher?

I graduated in May from Indiana University. I'm K-6 certified and have my Indiana license and have applied for my Tennessee license. I also have experience. I've subbed and volunteered for 3 years and completed a long-term sub job right when I graduated.

I have applied for over 1,000 jobs now all over the USA. I cannot get an interview, leads, nothing. It's extremely frustrating.

I know the golden rule is to secure employment then move but Principals missed that memo as every one of them asks when I'm moving.

So my question is, if I move to Nashville is there enough options that I could get my foot in the door? I saw Davidson County has a lot of openings. I applied and emailed my Resume to the principals. I think once they don't see a Nashville address they hit delete.

(FYI I'm sure it will be asked....I'm thinking Nashville because my fiance' is in IT and I know Nashville has experienced growth in that field, it's a big city but not HUGE, it has mild winters, and the cost of living isn't bad. And I have family in Knoxville...yes I know K-ville is a few hours but in K-ville they have all the UT grads)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
If a principal writes back and says when are you moving, you say "I plan to be there by July 15 but I'm more than happy to drive down and interview on Thursday"

Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
^ That's good advice. You might also use someone else's address if you know someone local. Misleading...possibly...but as long as you're up front about it once you get the call, I think it's fine.

My wife is a teacher and in her county there are a number of vacancies but until the principals get their incoming student numbers from the county, they can't really judge how many teacher vacancies to fill. I don't know when those #s come in, but usually it's late July or very early August. And don't give up, either, sometimes the numbers are off, they need extra teachers stat, and they hire very quickly.

I'd also recommend that you take a look at interim positions (which often open after school starts...medical reasons/pregnancy/etc) which may only be for one semester but it is a great way to get your foot in the door, and if the teacher does not come back it is usually your position. FInally, I'd also recommend you get on the substitute teaching list when you do move (if you don't have something lined up already).

Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM

83 posts, read 142,415 times
Hi @IU&UF! Good to have another IU grad down here in NV. I recently relocated to Nashville a few weeks ago and love it so far. I did a ton of research on the city before I moved, so if you have any questions,I'd be happy to answer them - just send me a PM. This forum has been extremely helpful for me as well.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM

66 posts, read 121,778 times
That's excellent advice guys. Thank you very much.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM

483 posts, read 409,701 times
Good questions. I am also considering Nashville as an option once I complete my student teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: