Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times

Advertisements

I know I can take dead greenery back to Lowes or Home Depot. They seem extremely generous. But a guy who planted a Crape Myrtle that as yet shows no signs of life, told me that it can NOT be returned. He bought it at a local nursery but not sure which one. I realize there is a statute of limitations but this was bought about 4 weeks ago. MAYBE it will surprise me, but if it doesn't, has anyone had any luck returning plants/trees? (This was $100)

Can you recommend any nurseries that stand by what they sell?

Also looking for a good place for 'food' plants like zucchini, tomatoes, herbs . . . . Normally get them at Lowes but they seem pricey.

Thanks!

(Can't believe there is another freeze warning for tonight!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I would think that only places that offer a guarantee would let you.

Crape myrtles often look dead till summer. I'd give it more time.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I really like the True Value on Columbia for veggie plants/herbs. Lots of stuff you won't get at Lowes/HD

Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
I agree with Wmsn, I have a very large crepe myrtle and it looks dead now also. It's not because there are tiny buds on it...if you have a small one that was just planted, it's probably good it wasn't budding yet after last night...

Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 14,575 times
The other posters are correct, Crepe Myrtles are one of the last plants to leaf out. A good way to check if it's still alive is to scratch a very small area (maybe 1/8" or so) of bark near the base of the plant with your thumbnail. If it peels back easily and you see green, it's still alive and just hasn't come out yet. If the bark is course and tough to peel back with no signs of green underneath, it's probably a goner. In my experience, a good percentage of nurseries will have a warranty on their plants, but it's typically a bit less generous than a Home Depot/Lowes warranty. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
I have a couple crepe myrtles about 2 years old that just sprung (pardon the pun) to life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville