Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Nashville in August and trying to determine if we should come on weekdays or the weekend. Will have 11 and 13 yr old with my wife and i...so a bit concerned that weekends will be too rowdy but also worry that weekdays may be too quiet. Staying downtown as we do enjoy bustle of the cities we visit. Any advise? We are not big country music fans...just love exploring this great country and love what we hear about your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
August is pretty dead around here. It's brutally hot, and school starts back in Nashville on August 5. Plus it's only really "rowdy" after midnight around the honky-tonks.

I don't think it would matter either way. If I were planning, I would research event calendars for the week you want to come and go from there based on your interests.

Also check lists of "must-see" attractions and check their websites to see what's going on then.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times
Check out a Civil War battle web site for re-enactments or 150th anniversary events. We are in the middle of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War and there are many special events happening in coming months.

The Tennessee magazine has pages of events. You can find it online.
TTM/Statewide V21 April 2013 (lists of events begin on page 24, and there is a travel section inside)

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I would highly recommend Cheekwood Botanical Gardens. The new Bruce Munro exhibit is being set up and will open May 24th:

It's all LIGHTS so you have to go at night. One is a whole field of 'fireflies' . . . that's being set up in front of the museum itself.

Light: Bruce Munro at Cheekwood :: Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art, Nashville, TN

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights from 4:30 to 11PM.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Your children would probably enjoy a visit to The Hermitage, the home of Andrew Jackson - this would give them a boost in history class when school starts again, too. Similarly, Fort Nashboro (downtown on the Cumberland River's bank) is a reconstructed pioneer fort. There's also a steamboat, the General Jackson, for river excursions.

The Nashville Public Library's main location downtown is spectacular, with many interesting displays in the children's department. If a puppet show is scheduled, don't miss it!

A stroll through the huge Opryland Hotel and a boat ride (inside the hotel "lobby") can be fun - it resembles a giant conservatory, with fountains, waterways, twinkle lights everywhere at night, themed restaurants of all descriptions, and more. You don't have to stay there to visit.

Even if country music is not your thing, the Country Music Hall of Fame is very much worth a visit and is not that far from downtown.

As noted, Nashville can be very hot and sticky in late summer, so factor in stops for lemonade and ice cream.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
Thanks for all the ideas and advise...it is appreciated! I booked hotel in downtown to make things convenient...with pool based on expected HEAT...and look forward to taking in sights and sounds for a Wednesday to Saturday visit! Hermitage and botanical gardens will be on our list...as well as some daytime visits to broadway establishments, third man records, and more. Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM

265 posts, read 488,119 times
I second all of the places already recommended and add the Frist Museum. It's free for kids, reasonably sized (you can see the whole thing in a matter of hours) and air-conditioned.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensburg Chris View Post
I am visiting Nashville in August and trying to determine if we should come on weekdays or the weekend. Will have 11 and 13 yr old with my wife and i...so a bit concerned that weekends will be too rowdy but also worry that weekdays may be too quiet. Staying downtown as we do enjoy bustle of the cities we visit. Any advise? We are not big country music fans...just love exploring this great country and love what we hear about your city.
One thing you can count on is the Grand Ole Opry every Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday nite from 7-9 ish. You don't have to be big country fans to enjoy new/old or surprise guest artists. Indoors at the Grand Ole Opry House will be nice & air conditioned. In the summer, it is possible the GOO will have music outdoors in the plaza before the show begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville