Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times

Advertisements

I have these little purple guys covering about 1/3 of my tiny back yard this year. Should I used weed killer on them or just live with them? In CT we did have 'clover' with white flowers. I see these everywhere. Someone said just mow them and the bottom bits will be green.

Any thoughts as to what they are and how I should deal with them??? Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Not the worst thing in the world, but be careful, they can take over a whole yard. I don't think you need to use Roundup (unless you are one of those pure grass lawn people)...but definitely keep it cut or it can spread pretty rapidly.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM

311 posts, read 467,106 times
Don't know what they're called, but they spread, very fast. I usually just pull them up. The root pulls up fairly easy.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM

159 posts, read 333,078 times
They are all over this year. Fields of them everywhere

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule).

You can eat it if you want. If you do nothing it will die out when the weather warms up and you start mowing.

You can kill it with 2-4D (used in most weed and feeds like Scotts Turf Builder - but it's too early to feed warm season lawns like bermuda so just use weed killer like Ortho Weed B Gone). You can use Roundup when bermudagrass is dormant (but it's too late to use now - bermuda is about to green up). The best time to kill henbit is in the fall while it's young.

Lamium amplexicaule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Henbit has been an esteemed vegetable for a long time. Their mild, sweet taste stands in contrast to the crisp leaves usually put in salads. John Gerard, the English herbalist for whom the Geradia is named, wrote of Henbit some 400 years ago: “The floures are baked with sugar as Roses are, which is called Sugar roset: as also the distilled water of them, which is used to make the heart merry, to make a good colour in the face, and to refresh the vitall spirits.”
Henbit: Top of the pecking order | Eat The Weeds and other things, too

Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Thanks for the question and responses...I've got this stuff too and can attest that it went from a very very minor presence last year to a full blown infestation this year. So bad that I'm going to have to mow it this weekend...which will look weird since the rest of my bermuda yard is completely brown.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks SO much for the info! It is . . . very . . . prevalent. Nice to know it will die out. I think I will see how far I get with trying to pull it up. If not, then I will use Weed B Gone. The lady who lives next door does NOTHING to her yard and I believe that's where they came from. I need to 'nip them in the bud' so to speak.

I can eat it if I want . . do you have a recipe for Henbit Pesto????

(I personally believe they were planted by the cicadas . . . .:eek

Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitz View Post
They are all over this year. Fields of them everywhere
My yard is covered with them. I like the color so I haven't done anything to them. I figure when I do the first cut they will be gone and feed the other grass.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM

OK, here's what is underneath the purple weeds! Basically my backyard is a weed farm . . . oh, I mean an HERB garden.

Have half the yard free of the purple Cicada plant . . it is slightly easy to pull up - the older taller ones are easiest.

So, what is THIS and I'm guessing I should pull it up also????

Then can I throw some grass seed around and hope for the best?

Weed #2

Old 04-05-2013, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 34,870 times
Looks more like Purple Deadnettle to me, but I think that's the same family as henbit anyhoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville