Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM

25 posts, read 26,606 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to rent an apartment/house/townhome for around $1k/month and still be in a good school district? I am very picky about schools (I have 4 kids in public school.....1 is gifted and 2 have learning disabilities so they have individual education plans that need to be taken into account) and school zone is my top priority when looking for places to live.

I guess the catch here is that we do not want to be in the middle of nowhere (I LOVE the country, but would like to be with 30-40 minutes of Nashville)....I know that Davidson County schools are not very good schools so I am wondering what counties surrounding Davidson (Nashville) would fit our needs as far as schools and budget goes.

Also, we are from Florida and Florida is a choice state where if you live in an area zoned for a Title I/poor performing school you can ask the school district you are in to send your kids to another school as long as there is available space - does Tennessee do this as well?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Anyone?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM

593 posts, read 1,365,633 times
In one respect, you're in luck: If you are (1) outside of Davidson County and (2) still within 30-40 minutes of Nashville, it is very likely you will be in a good school zone, because those are the primary family-friendly good-schools suburban areas. Of course, with kids on IEPs you'll need to choose carefully, but you can at least start with plenty of options.

Not being a renter, I'm not really qualified to narrow it down further on that basis. With four kids, I'm guessing you probably need 3 BR as a minimum, so it may be hit or miss in terms of finding a nice place for $1k or less.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,145,472 times
Yes, you can find a decent place to live in Williamson County (good schools) for $1000. BUT it will only have 2 bedrooms. I checked for 3 bedrooms and you'd have to go up to $1250 in Spring Hill:

http://www.realtracs.com/SearchResul...Ea9kbvwC5HdtNA

Here's one in Thompson Station and one in Fairview but suspect that's a bit far out for you.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

The rental market in Nashville is very tight right now, especially for more than 2 bedrooms. Is there a reason you chose Nashville? You MIGHT get lucky. Realtracs is not the be all end all in searching for housing but it's a decent indication of price points.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the reply....I have been researching Hendersonville a lot, but I don't know that we can afford it. Are the schools good there? We definitely need 3 bedrooms. We were mainly in downtown when we were there....we did go into Thompsons Station but that's about it. We were not interested in Murfreesboro from what we say when we drove through it.

My husband would work off Perimeter Hill in Nashville (south of downtown, off I-24 if I am thinking correctly) but he only needs to commute to the office 1 time per week...it would still be nice to be within 30-40 min of this location.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Yes, you can find a decent place to live in Williamson County (good schools) for $1000. BUT it will only have 2 bedrooms. I checked for 3 bedrooms and you'd have to go up to $1250 in Spring Hill:

Here's one in Thompson Station and one in Fairview but suspect that's a bit far out for you.

The rental market in Nashville is very tight right now, especially for more than 2 bedrooms. Is there a reason you chose Nashville? You MIGHT get lucky. Realtracs is not the be all end all in searching for housing but it's a decent indication of price points.

No real reason for Nashville, other than we liked the Nashville area when we were there and since my husband can transfer there, why not? We are in FL right now and trying to get away from this place....not only because we just don't like it here, but also for the life experience...I have never lived anywhere but the area we live in right now, my husband can just about say the same....I don't want to look back one day and be like this is it, never going to experience a new place. Nice to be able to do it while we are still fairly young.
We were hoping for a slightly lower cost of living (not just rental costs, but insurance, utilities, etc etc) as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,536,228 times
I'm not sure it will be that much cheaper to live here than Florida once all is said and done. Rents are very high here, and with that many kids (I have 3) it's just expensive.

These two sites also show available rentals:

Houses for rent in Nashville Tennessee

https://www.padmapper.com/search/apa...see/Nashville/

BTW, how did you end up in Thompson Station during your visit??

I would not rule out Murfreesboro. Not sure where you drove while you were there, but it probably offers the largest selection of schools and affordability.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
BTW, how did you end up in Thompson Station during your visit??

Visiting friends in the area.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,536,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl116 View Post
Visiting friends in the area.
Thx. I wondered! You don't just "end up" there. LOL

Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I'm not sure it will be that much cheaper to live here than Florida once all is said and done. Rents are very high here, and with that many kids (I have 3) it's just expensive.

We pay $1150 for a 2 bedroom house in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville