Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,846 times

Advertisements

I will be working at Dell starting November 5th and moving from Destin. I want to live near by but the area does not look so great. Any suggestions on areas that will be within a reasonable driving distance. How far is this from Hendersonville and Brentwood. Is the traffic bad? I am a single mom and want to make sure we are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,325,774 times
Which Dell facility are you talking about? The one out near the airport?

Brentwood is reasonably close; but it's very expensive. Hendersonville would probably meet your needs but the commute would probably be 30 minutes or possibly quite a bit more (I'm guessing). Some other places you might want to look at include LaVergne, the areas north and east of Priest Lake, and the communities of Hermitage and Donelson. Maybe even Mt. Juliet; although I'm not sure what the commute time would be from Mt. Juliet.

There are all sorts of areas within commuting distance; everyone from blue-collar neighborhoods to some very upscale areas, and everything in between. What price range are you looking at?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 AM

41 posts, read 193,638 times
If you are going to work at Airport facility then your best bet would be Dolenson area, Hermitage or Murfreesborro. I live in Dolenson area, it is safe plus it is close to airport and other near by shopping centers. Hermitage isn't bad either. Murfreesborro might be little far.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 AM
nra

72 posts, read 270,236 times
I wud say Mt Juliet, Donelson and hermitage in that order. Mt Juliet shd take u tops 30 mins at the max. It has good schools and is a great community.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,846 times
Yes, the Dell near the airport. I don't want to spend over 225K and need at least 2 bedrooms.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,325,774 times
Well, there's about four choices we've given you in total: LaVergne, Hermitage, Donelson, Mt. Juliet. Hendersonville and Murfreesboro (or Smyrna) might also be possibilities, although the commute could be a little longer. Going by what "nra" posted, I might look at Mt. Juliet first. If the commute is under 30 minutes it might be a good area for you. There is another plus to Mt. Juliet . . . Dell also has a facility in Lebanon; if you ever wanted to switch or got transfered to that facility, then the only thing you'd have to do is drive in the other direction in the morning.

You should be able to find something in any of those areas for $225k, although, of course, not the biggest or nicest house around.

I'm not trying to drum up business for anyone, but I do have a friend who's a real estate agent in that general area. I have no connection to her other than her being a friend and know she'd be more than willing to take you around and show you what's available. There's also some agents who post here on a regular basis. If you happen to want my friend's name, let me know.

Last edited by alleycat; 10-17-2007 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM

83 posts, read 376,988 times
Since Dell is located on the east side of Nashville your best bet would be Mt Juliet in Wilson Co. with good schools and little crime with 15 to 30 minutes commute to Dell. Donelson is in Davidson Co. 10-20 minutes commute with older neighborhoods. Hermitage in Davidson Co has is pluses and minuses. I wouldn’t live in Laverne. Smyrna and Murfreesboro is OK but some days commute could be a long one. I-24 or Murfreesboro Rd gets lots of traffic at rush hour.

From Mt. Juliet I-40 into Nashville gets pretty heavy but you would get off at Donelson Pike before the heavy traffic starts at Briley and I-24 junction.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM

225 posts, read 1,148,063 times
The best options for your price range and desired commute time will be Mt. Juliet or Murfreesboro. If you commute from M'boro you would only take I24 up to Harding and then cut through. There are a large number of pilots and other individuals who work for the airlines who live in Murfreesboro because it is actually a very easy commute - especially if you live on the North side of town, or just off of the new Medical Center Parkway exit. Your commute should be 30 minutes or less from M'boro in these areas.

Mt. Juliet is also very nice and has excellent schools and the benefit of being near the lake if you enjoy boating. Not as much shopping and dining options becaue it is more of a residential area instead of a city - but it is growing at a fast pace! Housing prices are a little higher in Mt. Juliet compared to Murfreesboro. Mt. Juliet is an easier commute into Nashville.

Schools in Mt. Juliet and Murfreesboro are both very good - but some are going to rate higher than others. You can pull all the stats and test scores from the state report card.

If you need help, just let me know. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville