Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 PM

44 posts, read 132,682 times

Advertisements

I'm from So. Oregon and may be interested in moving to Nashville. I have a wife and 2 young girls. So for you guys that have moved there from Oregon what do you feel are the pros and cons of living there? Is the quality of life better. Is the cost of living a very noticeable? We're thinking about the SW part of Nashville, anywhere from Fairview to spring hill.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
BPI

1 posts, read 2,263 times
About 1 1/2 years ago I moved from Medford to Nashville. While writing this I'm assuming you are familiar with Medford since you said Southern Oregon is where you are from. And my opinions are from the perspective of a single 28 year old male. It was hard to get used to at first as the South is so much different than the Pacific North West but then I started to love Nashville. The people alone make it a place worth living. I was just in Medford a few days ago and while it's nice to visit I'm excited to be heading back to Nashville. The biggest difference you'll notice is real estate prices. Example, I recently built a brick house 20 minutes east of Nashville in a high end community (like Hillcrest in Medford), 2 stories, all the upgrades and 3400 square feet for $330,000. Also gas is usually about 30 cents cheaper on average...Medford right now $3.15, Nashville $2.80. Oh, another big difference...I think Nashville's sales tax is 9.25%. That adds up, especially if you buy a car or boat. I spent a lot of time on the lakes around Nashville last summer and the water temp stays around 85. That's quite the difference if you've ever been to Lost Creek or Emigrant Lake where the temps are more like 55. There aren't any mountains around Nashville so your sense of direction will be off at first since there are rolling hills everywhere. Anyway, email me or reply on here if you have specific questions. That would probably be easiest. My best comparison for you is that Nashville is like a very large Ashland. Lots of bars and people outside walking around. Oh, and live music everywhere which I think is great! There is a large park near Vanderbilt University where there are plays and concerts during the summer similar to Lithia Park. Nashville has tremendous growth downtown right now and although you have a family, I would recommend living closer to downtown than Spring Hill. Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 132,682 times
I am not sure if you are still checking this thread, but I hope you are. It's been almost a year and I'm still in the process of possibly moving to Nashville. I also live in Medford, so it's good to get your perspective. A couple of questions I have is:
1. If I am making $55k here in Medford w/ a house worth about 250k, If I move to Nashville, and make about the same income, is the cost of living going to be more or less in Nashville?

2. Was the weather change a lot different? Have you gotten used to it?

3. Any other pros and cons you can think of between the 2 places.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 PM

24 posts, read 69,774 times
I moved from Eugene about seven years ago. Tried really hard to make the adjustment, but it really isn't working out, so our family is considering a move back west.
Bassman, I'll try to answer your 3 questions as best I can.
1. I'm afraid I don't know how expensive Medford is, but you'll certainly be able to get by in Nashville on your income, esp. if you're all right with a house at about 250k.
2. The weather change is significant. It's one of the things people (natives and transplants alike) tend to complain about every summer. No, you don't get used to it. Besides the general heat, one of the things that bothers me is that air pollution levels (caused by traffic and other sources) are augmented by the intense humidity, so that on some days people (esp. pregnant women and the elderly) are advised not to spend too much time outside. That really bothers me, and is one of the main reasons I'm choosing to move - I realize that air/water pollution are issues in most large cities, but to my mind, not being able to go outside and enjoy the sunshine because the air pollution is potentially dangerous makes for a somewhat silly living situation. Life is too short, and I don't want to make it any shorter.
3. Not knowing too much about Medford, I can only compare Eugene with Nashville. They both have their nice points. Eugene is clean and relatively safe. Nashville has great music. Another thing: I don't know what your religious affiliation is, but be prepared for a lot of churches. I'm not exaggerating. You'll notice it whether or not you are a Christian: there are tons of churches in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville