Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 66,355 times

Advertisements

Hi, we plan on moving to the Nashville area in the next year or so and I was wondering if there is any benefit to being bilingual as far as employment goes. My work experience is in Real Estate, however, I wouldn't mind a career change. Does anyone know of any well paying jobs that require spanish? Also, I would like an honest answer before I pack up my entire family to Nashville.... Because we have a Spanish last name, I was wondering if there would be any discrimination towards us? Please advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 43,347 times
You might want to connect with the Tennessee Foreign Language Institute (google them; I don't have the web address handy). I believe they have a jobs listing or could at least be a good start. There is a good size Hispanic population in the area and therefore your skills would be handy.

I can't speak as far as discrimination...I think you would be fine.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM

31 posts, read 139,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katcha70 View Post
Hi, we plan on moving to the Nashville area in the next year or so and I was wondering if there is any benefit to being bilingual as far as employment goes. My work experience is in Real Estate, however, I wouldn't mind a career change. Does anyone know of any well paying jobs that require spanish? Also, I would like an honest answer before I pack up my entire family to Nashville.... Because we have a Spanish last name, I was wondering if there would be any discrimination towards us? Please advise. Thanks!
There is discrimination everywhere. Unfortunately Nashville is not exception. Tennessee, I think has had one of highest rate of hispanic immigration in the last few years. South Nashville is choked full of our previously really southern neighbors. There is so much need helping them interface with government, medical institutions,etc. I would think there would be plenty of jobs. How well they pay I do not know. Try Nashville.gov for more indepth information.~Anna

Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 PM

52 posts, read 204,126 times
First, are there bilingual opportunities in Nashville? Yes, but I do not know how you define "well-paying" as that is relative. I used to work with a boricua (actually born in Massachusetts) and an ecuatoriana (raised in Chicago). Now, one translates at Vanderbilt (though she cannot roll her "r's") and one is a mortgage loan consultant.

Second, as noted in prior posts, there has been a lot of growth in the Hispanic community in Nashville both con papeles y sin papeles. My guess is now is the time to get in on a business in Nashville's Hispanic community.

I think your advantage with Spanish would be in call centers, in sales or any job that interacts with Hispanics los cuales hablan la lengua castellana. Maybe use the links below and make some phone calls to network. Buena suerte y Dios le bendiga en su busqueda.

Here are some links for you:
Hispanic Nashville

http://www.nashvillehispanicchamber.com/

Tennessee Hispanic Chamber (broken link)

Tennessee Foreign Language Institute - TFLI - serving the World, located in Nashville, TN. (TN Foreign Language Institute)

La Campana - Nashville's Spanish Newspaper

La Noticia Newspaper

Finally, stay away from this guy:
Nashville Scene - The Bad Man of Nolensville Road (broken link)

Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,982,154 times
My wife is bilingual. They offered her an extra $0.50/hr. to handle Spanish calls at the Nissan call center in Cool Springs. She declined.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM

16 posts, read 99,147 times
Yo no habla espanol, yo habla ingles..... that's about it... besides Como esta?

I don't know where you are moving from, but "good paying" does not compute here.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 24,811 times
Uh I have been two Nashville twice. Once in 2006 and once this summer. I was there for a week. I did not hear Spanish being spoken at all. I did not see any hispanic community. absolutely none. It was just white and black.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:34 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycastoria View Post
Uh I have been two Nashville twice. Once in 2006 and once this summer. I was there for a week. I did not hear Spanish being spoken at all. I did not see any hispanic community. absolutely none. It was just white and black.
try near Nolensville road and Old Hickory..there are lots of Mexicans down there.....there are mexicans in Franklin too..I think they are too busy working the hard jobs to be seen in the community speaking spanish ...maybe since they aren't Puerto Ricans that's why you didnt see them because Puerto Ricans are loud and cocky so you know they are there..but Mexicans are more reserved at least the ones in Nashville are

Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 66,355 times
I wasn't looking fo any mexicans or puerto ricas, just a well paying job...lol

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
I would think that in some businesses being bilingual would be a plus in getting a job, but probably not that great of a plus as far as additional salary is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville