Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,000 times

Advertisements

We are early 30s couple moving back to Nashville next month. I grew up in Hillsboro Village but haven't lived in the area for over twelve years. My family has a fairly skewed idea of what traffic to downtown looks like from other areas around Nashville.
My husband and I would like to consider more affordable neighborhood (looking to rent 2br/1.5ba $800-1000) than but really don't know where to start. We're looking for 20-30 minute commute or less to downtown. What are pros and cons of non-Hillsboro Village, Gulch, and Sylvan Park neighborhoods?
Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 AM

17 posts, read 44,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshale View Post
We are early 30s couple moving back to Nashville next month. I grew up in Hillsboro Village but haven't lived in the area for over twelve years. My family has a fairly skewed idea of what traffic to downtown looks like from other areas around Nashville.
My husband and I would like to consider more affordable neighborhood (looking to rent 2br/1.5ba $800-1000) than but really don't know where to start. We're looking for 20-30 minute commute or less to downtown. What are pros and cons of non-Hillsboro Village, Gulch, and Sylvan Park neighborhoods?
Many thanks!
If you're looking for a half-hour commute into downtown in a nice neighborhood, your options might be a bit limited. I was a little confused, though. Were you asking about neighborhoods that aren't the Gulch and Sylvan Park, or did you want to know about them? I can tell you right now that the Gulch is going to be out of your price range for a two bedroom. Sylvan Park probably isn't going to be that much better. If you're looking for a place on the south/western edge of town, I might suggest Green Hills. While a lot of the apartments in that area are a bit pricey, some of them are actually fairly affordable. You can often find pretty reasonable home listings for the neighborhood on Craigslist, as well.

You could also try East Nashville, but that area is rapidly becoming expensive as its identity changes from a rough, blue-collar section of town to a gentrified, hipster-friendly neighborhood.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,000 times
Thanks so much Mister Thorns. The neighborhoods I know about are the ones I listed and I'd like to know the pros and cons of other areas (e.g., Donelson, Crieve Hall, Nippers Corner and anything else y'all would recommend) that are within a 20-30 minute commute.
Many thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 44,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshale View Post
Thanks so much Mister Thorns. The neighborhoods I know about are the ones I listed and I'd like to know the pros and cons of other areas (e.g., Donelson, Crieve Hall, Nippers Corner and anything else y'all would recommend) that are within a 20-30 minute commute.
Many thanks!
Well, I can tell you that due to its proximity to Brentwood, Crieve Hall can sometimes be expensive. However, if you're willing to take a smaller or older house or unit the prices you'll pay for rent can drop considerably. Based on my own research of that general area a few months back, I'd say that you might be able to find something within the price range you mentioned. I do not, however, know a whole lot about that area. Can't really help you there.

Nipper's Corner is another part of town that I'm really not familiar with besides the cost of living. I'd say it's a bit cheaper than Crieve Hall, and you can probably find what you're looking for there.

Donelson's location north of the airport doesn't do it any favors as far as crime is concerned, but I can think of worse areas in Nashville that you could choose to live in. It's also very convenient to downtown, so that's a plus. Rent prices there tend to be fairly reasonable as far as Nashville is concerned.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,097,132 times
I love the large big yards in Crieve Hall . . but I do know that some parts are better than others? A good real estate agent would know. That said, I think I'm glad I didn't buy there because I wouldn't want to mow all that grass . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: